Today’s Morning Reads–Planning Your Future

What are you doing this weekend? Appreciating the noble art of bonsai as the Atlanta Bonsai Society holds its annual spring show at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens.

“Adios Mexico” by the Texas Tornados.

1. saltycracker says:

Rebecca Burns of Atlanta concludes Cobb’s answer for its poor is embracing mass transit and dense housing projects. To displace the poor from Atlanta that got a job, a car and a home in Cobb.

• saltycracker says:

I support Must Ministries, Northside CC, church projects and donate to them….they are a safety net not a solution nor a hammock.

2. Will Durant says:

“In the 10 years since Georgia’s move-over law started, more than 27,000 drivers have been convicted. One out of every five was in Gwinnett County. Court records show in 2013, only four Gwinnett drivers fought those tickets and won..”

I would point out again that fighting a traffic ticket in Gwinnett requires sacrificing the bulk of at least 2 business days for the average “offender”. Even if the average working citizen considers themselves not guilty the loss of time on the job alone makes it more economical to plead guilty and pay the fine.

• DrGonzo says:

“Even if the average working citizen considers themselves not guilty the loss of time on the job alone makes it more economical to plead guilty and pay the fine.”

And that is what the Gwinnett county government is counting on – and it appears to be working if only four people took the time to fight the tickets. It’s what every local government counts on when they levy taxes on us for “speeding” and other associated minor traffic infractions – which generate big bucks for that local government. 90% of a police officers job nowadays is basically tax collection by other means.

• Ellynn says:

They would be magnificent if their was a foodie link (waffle house propagandia does not count).

• Ellynn says:

I am a huge fan of W.H. and I am super excited about the new one being build on my route to work. However, you once upon a time use to have food not cooked in restaurants as a link on your Wednesday reads. We your adoring public DEMAND their return…

Don’t make me get mean…

• Ed says:

Well, I am a man of the people…

All I can say is: stay tuned this week… Alas, I have said too much!

3. Noway says:

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the people discover they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that democracy always collapses over a loose fiscal policy–to be followed by a dictatorship.”
    I know this had been attributed to many different people. Regardless of the authorship, are we there? Or have we been there for quite a while?
    Can we ever cut anything? How can politicians take a serious stab at doing so with being tarred and feathered?
    Opinions as how we save our country? Heavy, yes. An issue that is bothering me today…

• DrGonzo says:

I think a big part of saving the country has to be congressional term limits. When you have the Pelosi’s and Reids and Pat Roberts’ and McConnell’s up there who get themselves elected and then do whatever they have to to stay elected until they die in office, is a significant contributor to spending like a drunken sailer. I used to think 12 years was enough (two senate terms, six house terms) but now I’m starting to think six years is a good cutoff.

Problem is, it’s not just them we need to be shifting out of government on a regular basis. We have an entrenched bureacracy – unelected – that also remains in government long past their useful lifespans, contributing to the uptick in spending so these people can justify continuing to be paid as government employees. They benefit from all the spending the most, so they will do what is necessary to push legislators into more spending, always.

We need to eliminate most government pensions, honestly. Limit “bureacrats” to 10 years in government before they have to GTFO and go work in the private sector. No more “lifers” (except in the military) in government. They are the true cause behind our spending problems.

• Noway says:

+1 on the pensions, Dr. We’re paying gov’t retirees (both fed and state) almost their entire regular salary for the rest of their lives for producing nothing.

• Ed says:

You really don’t see any problems with
        1) Inherently limiting our democracy and
        2) Leaving only the lobbyists as the people who will understand our legislative system?

I mean, I get the frustration and outrage over “career politicians.” I think a lot of it is misguided but the solutions are worse.

• DrGonzo says:

1) If 8 years is good enough for the President, then 12 is more than enough for a member of Congress. We limit our democracy in many ways already (that’s the basis of the constitution, no?). Term limits are not inconsistent with that.
          2) That’s a facetious argument. One doesn’t have to be in government for 20 years in order to fully understand the legislative system and work effectively within it. You can understand the legislative system in a basic civics class. People aren’t staying in government for 20+ years because “OMG, if I leave NO ONE WILL UNDERSTAND HOW TO PASS LEGISLATION.” And honestly, if you’ve been there a year and you still don’t understand the legislative system, then perhaps you’re in the wrong job. 10 years is more than enough time to acquire institutional knowledge and be able to pass it on to a successor. These bureaucrats stay because: they get compensated disproportionately well compared to the same type of work in the private sector; because once in their positions it becomes difficult to remove them for anything but the most egregious violations (and even then that’s not a guarantee); and because as Noway says, when they retire they get better retirement packages than the vast majority of Americans could ever hope for, paid for by those Americans’ tax dollars. The country will not fall apart if we clean bureaucratic house every decade or so in addition to cleaning out Congress.

• DrGonzo says:

Care to elaborate? “Not worth it” isn’t much of an argument.

BTW, thanks for the heads-up on the Bonsai show, I definitely plan to check that out.

• Will Durant says:

I’m kind of partial to my Air Traffic Controllers, FBI Agents, SuperMax Guards, Park Rangers, CDC Researchers, etc. having experience. After suffering through one of the old fishing expedition audits by a rookie I especially want my IRS Auditor to have experience. The bureaucracy could use some trimming but limiting them arbitrarily to 10 years is mostly throwing the baby out and keeping the bathwater.

• DrGonzo says:

Those are not the people I am talking about. I’m talking about the people that inhabit and work in the agency buildings that litter Washington D.C., holding ‘important’ meetings about ‘policy.’ Not the grunts. Though I’m not opposed to disbanding the entire NSA. I’m also talking about the Hill committee staffers that never. ever. leave.

And by the way, experience or no experience your IRS auditor is still going to be an idiot.

• Harry says:

If individuals are saved the country is saved. In terms of one’s own mental health, the best approach is to adopt a fatalistic attitude and realize that this is no different than every other of the so-called “great” civilizations, a never ending story — at least up until now. Everything in the current paradigm is constrained by a life cycle.