Morning Reads for Tuesday, May 13th, 2014

It is the birthday of Arthur Sullivan of Gilbert & Sullivan, feel free to break into rhyming song. Morning Reads after the jump…

Georgia:

• Economy improves but can’t deliver needed revenue (telegraph)
  • Ethics comes to DeKalb (ajc)
  • Jay-Z to open club at the airport (ajc)
  • The downside of panda diplomacy (ajc)
  • also in that article, sexing pandas is difficult
  • Oh man, they found Boggs speech on the gay marriage amendment (buzzfeed)
  • Medicaid expanded through government efficiency (ajc)

National:

• Neuroaesthetics: Researchers unravel the biology of beauty and art. (The Scientist)
  • Is This How We’ll Cure Cancer? (Forbes)
  • Cancer ‘Miracle’ Patients Studied Anew for Disease Clues (Bloomberg)
  • The Wizard of Minecraft: Meet Gaming’s Biggest Rockstar, Notch (Rolling Stone)
  • Steven Pinker’s history of thought: What could be more interesting than how the mind works? (Harvard Gazette)
  • Alan Guth: What made the Big Bang bang (Boston Globe)
  • The NBA’s Improbable Pipeline: How alumni from tiny Emerson college infiltrated pro basketball’s front offices (SB Nation)
  • Are butter, cheese and steak really bad for you? The history of the anti-fat crusade (WSJ)
  • Who owns Chicken Tikka Masala? (Roads and Kingdoms)
  • The Obsessive Curator of the Internet: Jason Hirschhorn (Priceonomics)

1. Ed says:

I am the very model of a modern major blogger
    I’ve information political, educational and wonderful
    I know the the Guvs of Georgia and I quote the fights historical
    From Dalton to Resaca in order categorical

• Stefan says:

Of Peaches and Pundits there’s much in dispute,
      but I rise to address one easy to refute,
      it has been claimed that the best reads are found on Wednesday,
      but one need not the revelatory experience of one Rafael Hythloday,
      to know that Tuesday’s regular matinee compels attendance,
      and whose links always provide sufficient recompense,
      but it’s true, music accompaniment can lighten hump day’s mood,
      let’s agree to disagree on which day’s reads set records for amplitude.

• Ellynn says:

Pirates is easy… now if you could work out one from ‘Princess Ida’, THAT would be grand.

2. secretplans-fightinflation says:

I troll this site silently with class for I never wish to offend.
    Only balking at the comments crass without my thoughts to lend.

But on this day of celebration of my favorite operettas,
    I have created an account to share my own libretto!

3. Baker says:

Best use of HMS Pinafore in pop culture? One of the greatest Simpsons episodes ever…Cape Feare.

Bart attempts to avoid being murdered by playing to Sideshow Bob’s vanity and gets him to sing the score from the play. Great stuff, and Kelsey Grammer is quite a talented fellow.

Interestingly, upon searching for a link to go along with this post, I had a funny incident that happens every so often on the internet. I legitimately could not find the video I was looking for. I’ve grown so accustomed to basically being able to find anything anytime I want. It’s funny when this does not occur.

And how in the world has someone not recorded it from their television and posted it on the YouTubes? Amazing. The Simpsons people must have very quick-working and implacable copyright lawyers…dammit…it’s like a 20-yr-old episode and they can’t just put it up there?

Anyways, to give you a little of the flavor…http://hmspinafore.ytmnd.com/

In other news: So Jay-Z’s got a club now…whatever happened to Luda’s chicken and women’s legs joint? Does Andre 3000 not get anything? Wth?

• Lea Thrace says:

I was going to mention Cape Feare as well. Went looking for the episode and couldnt find a decent/legal link either. FOX is really serious about their copyrights.

4. Ellynn says:

Cow is good.

Anyone who ever looked at the nutritional guidelines for a diabete deit, would know that the fillers used to create fat free and unsaturated options to avoid dairy base items that traditionally are high in saturated have high levels of carbs, which inturn reguire higher levels of insulant to process then the fats they are replacing. Additionally, if you don’t burn those calaries, they are more likely to be stored as high density body fact. Butter has always been better then the transfats in that yellow oil spread stuff.

The big thing in the cow and dairy world right now is the protien types in the milk. A F1 protien is more likely to cause allergeries and has a slower processing time by the body. A F2 protein is less likely to create milk related diet issues. They both react differently to cooking and cheese processing also. All dairy has both types (and others) but F1 proteins are found in higher levels in Holstein breeds, while F2 is higher in Brown Swiss. Over 80% of milk in this country is produced by the black and white Holsteins.