Georgia, The BBQ Capital Of The Free World.

May 12, 2014 10:13 am

by Buzz Brockway · 15 comments

708547_10151705764773592_1991204069_oThe people have conferred upon us a most prestigious #1 ranking:

TripAdvisor.com users have selected Georgia as the No. 1 state in the U.S for barbecue and named three Georgia barbecue restaurants to a Top 10 barbecue restaurants list.

The three Georgia restaurants in the top ten are “Wiley’s Championship BBQ(Savannah), Jim’s Smokin’ Que(Blairsville) and Joe’s BBQ(Blue Ridge).”

I should point this ranking came after Peach Pundit embarked on a BBQ Tour of the state of Georgia. I should also point out that in this hyper-political season don’t be surprised if someone is accused of paying for this good publicity for our state. Ok, I’m just kidding about that last part….sorta.

Discuss.

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Charlie May 12, 2014 at 10:16 am

Blame Ted Cruz for the delay in the BBQ tour. The Congressional shutdown scuttled two planned events, and since then my schedule and diet haven’t been able to coincide with the available/willing Congressmen’s schedule.

We’re discussing with two of them again at the moment, and will update when we’re ready to eat pulled pork in public again.

Buzz Brockway May 12, 2014 at 10:18 am
Demonbeck May 12, 2014 at 11:40 am

So this is why we’ve never had a 1st district road show. I was beginning to suspect favoritism…

Ellynn May 12, 2014 at 11:18 am

Wiley’s has the best ribs in this state and mabye the South. But you have to get there early. The ribs are normally sold out before 6:00 on a week day and 7:00 on the weekend durring tourist season. If your heading to Tybee, it’s in the Whitemash Island strip mall on US. 80 by the turn off to Presidents Expressway.

Raleigh May 12, 2014 at 12:26 pm

First, I have known for a long time Georgia has the biggest diversity of barbecue styles and best barbecue of anywhere in the country.

Second California!? What does the left coast know about barbecue and Texas!? Look if it ain’t pig it ain’t barbecue.

Last please get the ranking right. Barbecue restaurants are ranked by miles not numbers. You want to know how many miles you would travel just to go eat the Barbecue.

Now pass the Brunswick stew please……

Ellynn May 12, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Pig… Just pig…?

My brother’s smoked brisket (Wisconsin Dairy cows are good for more then milk and cheese) is highly insulted by this…

Charlie May 12, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Yes. Just pig. And not just pig, but pulled (or chopped) pork.

We have standards for a reason.

Ellynn May 12, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Of course we have standards, which is why mustard base sauce is ‘just wrong’. Very very very wrong.

Charlie May 12, 2014 at 1:13 pm

It’s not “just” wrong. It is an affront to God.

George Chidi May 12, 2014 at 8:05 pm
Raleigh May 12, 2014 at 2:55 pm
southernpol May 13, 2014 at 12:22 am

Eat Franklin BBQ’s brisket in Austin (#1 on that list) and tell me “just pig” again. I bet you can’t.

Ed May 13, 2014 at 8:25 am

Talk to me when you’ve had Kentucky’s mutton BBQ. And then you’ll say “just pig or cow? I think not.”

Will Durant May 12, 2014 at 3:16 pm

I wish to lodge a protest for that picture being above the fold. I had to take an extra Crestor for just looking at it.

BlueRidgeRick May 13, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Really, Joe’s in Blue Ridge?? I have a cabin nearby and eat there occasionally. He doesn’t have a pit or fire, he uses an electric smoker like you can get at Home Depot. His pork tastes like roast pork, good but NOT Q.