#GASEN: “American Future Fund” Backs Handel

May 9, 2014 14:24 pm

by Charlie · 14 comments

More outside groups join the Georgia Senate ad game. This time the “American Future Fund” weighs in for Karen Handel:

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

xdog May 9, 2014 at 3:42 pm

For the curious, opensecrets says AFF isn’t required to reveal its donors, spent $9M and $20M the last 2 cycles, saw 5 percent of that back winners.

Maybe my reaction is colored by the football motif and the current trial going on in Athens, but to me Handel strongly resembles Jim Donnan.

DrGonzo May 9, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Um, no, Karen Handel has never swindled people through a pyramid scheme. Nor did she turn UGA football into a joke. Jim Donnan did both those things.

DrGonzo May 9, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Also, cast aspersions on AFF all you want. Perdue has his own hit-piece group organized out of South Carolina that’s been running ads against Kingston. And Kingston has Chamber of Commerce affiliated groups running ads on his behalf. You act like AFF is a special instance. These groups are working for or against all three top candidates.

xdog May 9, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Change your focus, DrG. Read what I wrote. I reported what I read at opensecrets, provided a link, said Handel’s visage brings Donnan to mind. Any talk about ‘aspersions’ and ‘special’ instances comes from you.

South Fulton Guy May 9, 2014 at 7:48 pm

xdog from what I read that link you provided does not say jack about Karen Handel or the current race. Am I missing something???

xdog May 9, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I believe you’re correct. I didn’t see a reference there to other candidates they’ve supported either.

South Fulton Guy May 9, 2014 at 8:52 pm

So XDog what is the reference to Karen and Jim Donnan about? I don’t recall her having anything to do with Athens – that would be her successor Brian Kemp the current GA Secretary of State.

xdog May 9, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I don’t see the problem. I’m not trying to be cryptic. I saw Handel’s pic in the ad and flashed on Donnan, and I said why.

analogkid May 9, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Is it me or is “backed Obama down” a strange expression? Someone with some editing skills and some time on their hands could have fun cutting this ad into “Want someone who backed Obama?”

I also think the use of football as an analogy is a sad, though probably accurate, take on the priorities and preoccupations of Georgia voters.

xdog May 9, 2014 at 10:37 pm

I’d say dead-on accurate, and I say that as a cfb fan. To pick one example, Donna Sheldon’s campaign site shows changing images: Donna in the fields, a farmhouse, Donna dressed for legislating, full-house at Sanford Stadium. All the verities–farm girl with deep roots, the peoples’ servant, Dawg fan.

analogkid May 10, 2014 at 12:08 am

Wonder how UGA feels about their logo being so prominently displayed in a campaign website? At least the Handel ad just used red jerseys, although perhaps that was out of respect for her husband, who is a GT alum.

xdog May 10, 2014 at 7:22 am

Yeah, I wondered that too. I emailed her campaign and suggested they could avoid embarrassment by taking that shot down. All I got for my trouble was an offer to donate. That’s OK. If she makes the runoff I’m sure Mike Collins will bring up the matter.

btw, for completeness Collins’ campaign site features big red Peterbilt, family, cafe with geezers and Coke center front, US flag, garage with the guys.

South Fulton Guy May 10, 2014 at 9:03 pm

This is a PAC ad favoring Karen Handel, it is not an ad by the Handel Campaign. (American Future Fund Political Action)

tribeca May 11, 2014 at 11:51 am

Can someone explain to me how she “backed down Obama”?