Georgia State Takeover News Continued

May 7, 2014 16:51 pm

by Ed · 6 comments

First it was GPB taking over WRAS, then it was GSU of Turner Field, now it is GSU taking control of Peach Pundit.

If there was any doubt that the GSU Panthers are the premier college football team in Georgia, those hesitations were thoroughly and finally put to bed on Monday.  #CoachTrentMiles and GSU announced they would hold a recruiting camp with the Penn State Nittany Lions in Atlanta starting June 10.

The arrangement appears a win-win for both programs. Penn State gets to evaluate high school players who would never travel to its camps in Pennsylvania while Georgia State gets exposure to more high-profile recruits than usual.

“The way the rules are set up, you’re not allowed to have any camp outside of your state, unless you’re on the border and within a 50-mile radius. And a lot of people recruit in Atlanta,” Miles said. “But you can legally work somebody else’s camp.

Bold prediction: GSU repeats its perfect season in 2014.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

gcp May 7, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Perhaps Georgia Perimeter College can quickly assemble a football team so GSU can get that one elusive win for the year.

Mr. Brown Conservative May 7, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Next thing you know, GSU will be taking over the State Capitol. Wait…they already are! One Intern at a time. A little birdie tells me their students and graduates are also taking up Paid Legislative Aide positions. Not to mention of course some top Georgia Political blogs!

Rich May 7, 2014 at 11:23 pm

For Atlanta this is sweet. Cobb taxpayers remove the Braves, then collecting higher property tax from GSU. It’ll be interesting to compare cityscapes 20 years from now.

Harry May 8, 2014 at 2:52 am

How do you figure Atlanta is collecting property tax from GSU? I didn’t think it was legal for a city to collect property tax from a state entity, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Rich May 8, 2014 at 7:28 am

I hate fact checking myself first thing in the morning. At least the day can only improve. It appears that state colleges do not pay property taxes, although it certainly wouldn’t hurt the surrounding area.

northside101 May 8, 2014 at 8:32 am

One little issue left out of all this discussion: S-E-C-U-R-I-T-Y….that area borders some of the most dangerous parts of the city (like the Pittsburgh/Mecahincsville area the other side of the Connector from there). I suspect security/crime was one major factor behind the Braves bolting, and is probably a major reason it is hard to get quality development south of I-20 within the city.
Oh, and taxpayers footing a football stadium? Reminds me what we should have told Arthur Blank last year when he asked (uh, demaned) a new stadium: “Win us a Super Bowl, and then we’ll talk new stadium.”