Morning Reads: Jeremiah Wright Returns, GOP Tangles with NOAA

Brookhaven Conducting Online Parks Survey
Political Hardball Leads to Felony
Rev. Jeremiah Wright Returns to Columbus
Local Governments Increase Security in Wake of New Gun Laws
Athens Could Lose Scheduled Airline Service

• Harry says:

I’m wearing my St. George ribbon today and will continue intermittently through May 9.

• notsplost says:

Sorry I don’t agree with that point of view. I hope she succeeds – the financing scheme being cooked up by Cobb county smells like a 3 day old catfish left out in the sun. At the very least they ought to make the Braves come back to the negotiating table and pony up some more of their own cash.

When comparing the terms of the deal for the new Braves stadium to the new Falcons stadium, Tim Lee makes Kasim Reed look like Ron Paul in terms of fiscal conservatism and Mark Cuban in terms of negotiating prowess.

• Three Jack says:

It cost money for good things and the Braves moving to Cobb is a great thing for the future of the county. If the last remaining obstacle to this happening is Debbie Dooley, I feel good about it proceeding on time.

• taylor says:

I hope you’re right. I hope that Cobb putting up so much public money for a baseball facility proves to be a good decision. Unfortunately, study after study, by organizations of all leanings, show that public financing is never a good deal.

• seenbetrdayz says:

Yep, maybe they’ll actually stay there long enough to make it worth it, this time.

1. John Vestal says:

ICYMI: finally got around to watching the interview Marvin Kalb did with SCOTUS Justices Scalia and Ginsburg at The National Press Club a couple of weeks ago. Pretty insightful (and also entertaining) conversation with 2 members of the highest court who are usually considered to be diametrically opposed on major cases….but who are also close and long-time friends. I enjoyed it. YMMV.

Bit over an hour in length (Youtube).

2. Three Jack says:

Sentence for Marlow et al – WSB reporting, 10 yrs probation, 60 days county jail, $1000 fine, 200 hrs community svc, no political involvement and no first offender status.

• Three Jack says:

Not sure about that one ABC. But this part of the sentencing report from the Cherokee Tribune was really odd – http://www.cherokeetribune.com/view/full_story/25022429/article-Marlow–Trim–Knowles-get-jail-time–10-years-probation?instance=breaking_news

During sentencing it was announced that Marlow and Trim, long suspected to be a couple, had been engaged since December. That was after Superior Court Judge Ellen McElyea issued their sentence, with the condition that they could have no contact with one another during their probation.

McElyea suspended that portion of the sentence for one week, in case they wanted to wed.

Maybe McElyea found the key to a successful marriage, get hitched the one week you can be together then no contact for 10 years.

• Will Durant says:

This is a Reality TV show that I actually would have watched. Wonder if you could appeal the sentence to change the no contact clause to life after the 1 week honeymoon? Seriously though, I’m wondering if that isn’t the Judge making this a shotgun wedding of a different sort. It’s fairly common to not allow convicted felons to associate with their gang but they can’t very well do that if they get married. One week to decide.

• Noway says:

Good point. Trim has effectively been “disbarred.” He’s been around a long time and despite this episode, is no dummy. I cannot, for the life of me, (unless the reports of their being a couple are true) see how he would have had such a massive lapse in judgement. If I’m gonna risk getting the ultimate professional punishment, I’m gonna hit the biggest bank I can find! This episode is not even sophomoric in its idiocy, it’s junior high. I actually feel bad for him. I could not care less about Marlow. She’s just a penny-ante, petty politician. At least Trim had a client list that could continue to give him business. This whole damn thing was so unnecessary!

• saltycracker says:

What’s worse:
            Having your candidates routinely in controversy ?
            Being told to marry one within a week or move on ?
            No alcohol for 10 years as a condition of parole ?

Ouch

• analogkid says:

#2 and #3 meet my personal definition of cruel and unusual punishment.

Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of folks though.