Morning Reads for Tuesday, April 15th, 2014

April 15, 2014 6:00 am

by Stefan · 15 comments

25 Years ago, the Hillsborough disaster claimed the lives of 95 soccer fans. You have my permission to hug a Kopite today, though any Liverpudlian will do.  Grapes of Wrath is 75 years old, but depictions of poverty are timeless. Morning Reads after the jump:

Not necessarily Georgia:

• Why Do We Eat, and Why Do We Gain Weight? (New Yorker)
  • Renewables, Nuclear Must Triple to Save Climate/Bad News for Kuwait(Bloomberg)
  • About High-Frequency Trading, or the modern swage  (The Atlantic)
  • Krugman: Why We’re in a New Gilded Age (New York Review of Books)
  • Greed Is Good: A 300-Year History of a Dangerous Thought (The Atlantic)
  • Warhol, Degas and Renoir can be cheaply bought (WSJ)
  • How Google learned to stop worrying and mastered the Washington lobbying game (Washington Post)
  • Herbalife: How lobbying dollars prop up pyramid schemes (The Verge)
  • The Invention of the Slurpee is not what it seems(Priceonomics)
  • The Crossroads of Should and Must (Medium)
  • The glum designs behind the world of modern work will leave you nonplussed (Book Forum)
  • The Germ Theory of Democracy, Dictatorship, and Your Cherished Beliefs (Pacific Standard)
  • After reading that I wish I had remained a naif.

Georgia:

• Into the School super race, Charter school monies  pour (ajc)
  • Some students like common core, (ajc)
  • Other students seem to also be for (ajc)
  • While others want to show it the door (ajc)
  • Grand idea, asking students what they want to be taught as they enter the school door,
  • Perhaps it’s an idea the new Atlanta superintendent will want to explore (ajc)
  • But frankly none of that matters because it sounds like a new soccer team may be in store (clatl)
  • Of rapid rail, Atlantans will eventually come to adore,
  • but whether that’s in the near future or next to never, nobody’s sure (SaportaReport)

chamblee54 April 15, 2014 at 6:27 am

http://wp.me/pca2S-9pA #righttolife #movinglips are strangely silent about #dronewarfare

Ed April 15, 2014 at 8:48 am

Its my birthday! Hug an Edward!

John Vestal April 15, 2014 at 9:23 am

I had an Uncle Ed up in Ohio. Used to take me canoeing on the river that ran behind his property. Canned his own pickles. Had a Scottish Terrier named MacTavish.

He’s dead. (Well, I guess they both are, come to think of it.)

Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :>)

Ellynn April 15, 2014 at 10:27 am

Any Edward? Because hugging one of my clients or a co-worker might be illegal…

I’m going to make a German chocolate layer cake with dark chococlate filling and black walnut German butter cream frosting. Since I’m not ITP, I’ll let you know tomorrow if you liked it… ;-)

Happy Birthday Edward

xdog April 15, 2014 at 9:09 am

Is it just me or does the gop Senate race seem strangely muted so far? The primary is only 5 weeks away and all we’ve seen to date is the Perdue kerfluffle over Handel’s lack of educational achievement, small efforts to cast Perdue as an out of touch gated-community quail hunter, the anti-Gingrey super-PAC buy, the GRTL slapdown which seems designed to benefit Handel, and a couple of celebrity endorsements.

I may have missed some dustups but I expected to see the candidates trading real gut punches by now. After all, they’re competing for 20 years tenure in the Senate. It’s one thing to make vanilla speeches in front of civic clubs and party groups but that doesn’t go far to distinguish among candidates. We all know they’re anti-Obama, anti-abortion, pro-gun small businessmen who favor a strong defense. I’m ready for someone to get out on the stump and try to put some separation between himself and the others. Even ignoring the entertainment factor, there’s a market in explaining why their opponents are unworthy of election.

Maybe they’re all assuming they’re certain of making the runoff and it’s best to hold their fire until then. If so, I think they’re missing an opportunity.

caroline April 15, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Maybe they are holding their fire for the runoff? I also read where a lot of big donors had abandoned the GOP (can’t find the article). Maybe they don’t want to spend that money now?

Ellynn April 15, 2014 at 10:31 am

Why We Keep Losing Our Keys… (happens to me at least twice a week when i am trying to get out the door for work)

Noway April 15, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I just heard the noon news. What is the issue about the state Ag Commissioner trying to delay the release of Vidalia onions by some south GA farmer? Can anyone help with some facts? My first thoughts would be why does the Ag comm care? Are these not the farmer’s onions? WTF?

xdog April 15, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Black claimed he was protecting Vidalia brand against farmers rushing to market so he set arbitrary date for first Vidalias to go on sale. Farmers said ‘You think a reg can judge when crops are ready? You’re nuts, and not goobers”. I think the farmers have a point. I think Jason Carter might find occasion to mention this episode in the next few months.

Noway April 15, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Does he actually have the authority to tell Joe Farmer when he can take his crops to market? If so, how in the hell is that possible? Does it work with peaches, pnuts, tomatoes or anything else?
And if he does have that power, he shouldn’t.

Ellynn April 15, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Georgia law gives the Ag Com the power to define the location and harvet/ship times of Vidalia onions. In theory it is to prevent the early shipment of inferior standard onions. HOWEVER, if the onions are USDA inspected as being Grade 1 – which is the highest level for produce – they can not be classified as being inferior.

Harry April 15, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Happy birthday Ed. You’re not getting older, your hang time is being deferred like an onion. Or some such.

Harry April 15, 2014 at 2:14 pm

The ‘gay’ jihadist propaganda machine is taking over America

The Last Democrat in Georgia April 15, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Thanks for the news, Stefan.

The Last Democrat in Georgia April 15, 2014 at 7:36 pm

◾”Of rapid rail, Atlantans will eventually come to adore but whether that’s in the near future or next to never, nobody’s sure”

OTP Metro Atlantans and Georgians would adore rapid transit now if it were privately-funded and operated.

Comments on this entry are closed.