Morning Reads: 7 April 2014

April 7, 2014 6:30 am

by Eric The Younger · 19 comments

I hope everyone had a good weekend, even with the high pollen counts. Try to stay dry today, word is there could be flooding in the metro area. Here’s what happened over the weekend.

Georgia

Study shows that Chatham County Juvenile Court needs reform.
Atlanta is getting an MLS team.
All six candidates and a very full crowd showed up to the 11th District Congressional debate.
With the verdict from the ethics trial, Gov. Deal denies any involvement.
The King family saga continues, this time with the judge’s dismissal of the King Estate’s lawyer.

National/International

The State Department has decided that it will release competency reports for future Ambassador nominees.
Jeb Bush is still waffling with a 2016 Presidential bid.
Public financing of Elections?
One step closer to finding missing flight 370.
The most recent attempts at Middle East Peace are probably over.

Everything Else

No more presidential selfies.
It turns out, W isn’t a bad painter.

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

View from Brookhaven April 7, 2014 at 8:36 am

Futbol!

Harry April 7, 2014 at 10:11 am

How big is too big? Another Comcast acquisition can’t be good for the industry.

Jon Lester April 7, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Which of you is responsible for pop-up ads that set off my Avast alerts? You’ve turned PP into an unpleasant browsing experience.

Eric The Younger April 7, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I have been told we do not have pop up ads.

Jon Lester April 7, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Clicking “reply” just gave me another one. I’m trying Ad-Aware now to see if it’s something on my end.

NorthGAGOP April 7, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I have never received a pop up ad on PP.

Jon Lester April 7, 2014 at 3:13 pm

AdAware wouldn’t finish installing, but I think I have the problem beaten with Spybot Search and Destroy. I’m also about to uninstall Avast and replace it with Avira.

Jon Lester April 7, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Looks like I’ll have to try a second round of MalwareBytes in safe mode.

Jon Lester April 7, 2014 at 5:17 pm

One more update: the culprit was Remarkit, which can actually be removed through the Windows control panel. I hope this will be of help to others.

MattMD April 9, 2014 at 3:24 am

Thanks for the updates. Are your other appliances in working order? What about your blender? Cinco de Mayo is approaching!

Jon Lester April 9, 2014 at 8:40 am

Are you a real doctor, or do you just play one on PP?

Harry April 7, 2014 at 1:33 pm
Ellynn April 7, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I see your right wing ‘blah blah blah’ link and raise it with a far left wing ‘yah whatever’ link (just so we have some balance of course…)

Harry April 7, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Supposedly the most advanced country in the world and we can’t determine if a dead person has voted or a snowbird has voted in two jurisdictions? Where there’s smoke there’s fire…let’s isolate the fire.

Jon Lester April 7, 2014 at 3:17 pm

How do we change the fraudulent process that invariably gives us such sorry choices in every race? That’s the real problem, I think, with party leaders acting as kingmakers, and big money sunk into efforts to capture the stupid vote with lies and naked contempt for the masses.

Harry April 7, 2014 at 3:23 pm

How do we change the fraudulent process? First, understand we are run by a corrupt political class of elites. Here’s one view of where the elites’ worldview is taking us in the global context.

It’s quite a read for some of you. Others, not so much.

Jon Lester April 7, 2014 at 4:40 pm

It’s good that Business Insider is speaking to it, at least. The hard part will be getting significant numbers of people away from their authoritarian follower tendencies.

saltycracker April 7, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Stevie Nix & Lady Antebellum singing Rhiannon at the CMA awards last night and Kid Rock before the big game tonight – wow !

If an ACC team can’t do it let’s hope the SEC rep Kentucky pulls another one off…

saltycracker April 8, 2014 at 8:00 am