David Perdue is better than you

April 2, 2014 18:33 pm

by Jason · 73 comments

Via Daniel Malloy comes this clip of David Perdue knocking his opponent, Karen Handel, because she lacks a college degree.

“I mean, there’s a high school graduate in this race, OK? I’m sorry, but these issues are so much broader, so complex,” Perdue told the Bibb County Republican Party. “There’s only one candidate in this race that’s ever lived outside the United States. How can you bring value to a debate about the economy unless you have any understanding about the free enterprise system and how — what it takes to compete in the global economy?”

The guy isn’t even in office yet and he’s already showing signs of Beltway arrogance and elitism. Sorry, his camp can spin this all they want, but that’s what it is.

Some of us don’t have college degrees. I didn’t feel like it was worth my time and money. I didn’t want to be like so many millennials and spend my mid-20s and early 30s digging myself out of debt. What’s more, I don’t need a piece of paper to validate my life.

I hope Perdue realizes, with this cheap shot against one of his opponents, he disrespected and insulted a lot of people. This isn’t just about campaign rhetoric, it’s about the kind of representation we’re going to have in Washington.

A man who so easily dismisses someone because of a lack of a college education says a lot. Perdue doesn’t just think he’s better than Karen Handel. Nope. He thinks he’s better than every single Georgian who lacks a college degree.

Stay classy, David Perdue.

gcp April 2, 2014 at 7:31 pm

A silly non-issue that attempts to portray Purdue as some sort of out- of- touch Romney elitist. Purdue opponents will have to do better than this video if they want to defeat him.

Bridget Cantrell April 3, 2014 at 8:50 am

I agree. I support Karen but think this will come back to hurt her more than Perdue. Do we now know that Perdue is an elitist and need to search for the fire that accompanies this smoke? Yes. Is this a fire that will affect a general voter? No.

This following on the heels to Josh’s “OH the huMANity!” response to Perdue’s email zinger makes it look like Handel supporters are REALLY reaching to play the victim card.

Most people in politics, laws, sales, etc – we’re all competitive. Perdue’s zinger was firing a light-hearted bird over to the other side. The more it gets painted as an “affront to all Georgia voters” instead of a “whatever, Josh – what does the scoreboard say?”, the more it looks like we’ve got our eye on the wrong ball.

Shake it off, find Perdue’s weakness, and run another play – this isn’t it.

BuddyFreeze April 3, 2014 at 10:11 am

I tend to agree with you. There’s a whole host of things to go after David Perdue on of more substance . Dodd Frank and past comments about Federal solutions to healthcare. It’s a goldmine. This stuff is small potatoes.

Chris Huttman April 3, 2014 at 10:27 am

Another good point…Handel seems to be constantly under siege. Do we really want to have the Rodney Dangerfield of the US Senate?

Bridget Cantrell April 3, 2014 at 11:25 am

Karen could’ve launched a huge offense on this instead of supporters defending her.

David Perdue was either CEO or a Board Member for Dollar General, Jo-Ann, and Reebok stores – who have 9937, 768, and 225 retail stores, respectively. 10,930. Set corporate, logistics, and overseas employees aside for a moment and lets look at just the in-store workers.

Say each store has an average of 10 employees. Let’s say 6 out of 10 of the retail employees did not continue their education past high school. He successfully slapped approximately 65,580 people who’s hard work made him successful.

That’s the story – not a fellow candidate, not a blogger. Perdue might manage, but he does not lead.

Chris Huttman April 3, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Oh I’m with you I’m just pointing out that Karen Handel seems to be constantly under attack no matter what she does. Now multinational CEO may not be the answer to “if not Karen Handel who”, but just making that point.

Ghost of William F. Buckley April 3, 2014 at 3:51 pm

As I drove around NE Atlanta today I saw a few Handel signs where I recall them being last cycle, in front of big houses in swank neighborhoods. My last two remaining neurons formed a synapse, “WoW, this is brilliant, call the oppo an elitist, so that you don’t get called out for blatantly pandering to elite politically connected supporters.”

As much as I loathe to agree with Chris H., (;>) bombastic Handel is the last thing we need for the same reasons we did not elect her previously – She is in the center of every single controversy.

Who needs that?

BuddyFreeze April 3, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Karen tends to launch these irrelevant attacks in my opinion. The ones about all these little expenditures here or there from Broun, Kingston and Gingrey are really kinda silly if you ask me. I wonder if those kinds of attacks help her remain in the center of every single controversy.

lakeman April 2, 2014 at 7:33 pm

My fear is that Perdue MAY have some undiscovered issue that the Nunn campaign will
exploit. Since he has never run for any office he is an unknown factor. I like him, but I do not
believe he can defeat Nunn.

When Karen ran for the Fulton County Commission, and when she ran for Governor, nothing negative was discovered by her opponents.

In addition the Nunn campaign can’t play the “Republican war on women” card with Karen.

The Republicans MUST retain this Senate seat. In my opinion Karen Handel is our best candidate
to defeat the democrats.

Jon Lester April 3, 2014 at 7:36 am

I don’t know that he can’t beat Nunn, but I think her people will at least consider asking him if he knows how many Dollar General employees have to receive public assistance.

KD_fiscal conservative April 2, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Talking about how smart you are is one thing….but bragging that you lived outside the US, as if that’s a good thing….not a smart move. This plays into the narrative that Perdue is an out of touch elitist.

Personally, I like the guy, which probably means he’s doomed.

gcp April 2, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Excuse my spelling error. Perdue not Purdue.

Jason April 3, 2014 at 5:52 am

“These issues are so much broader, so complex.”

Doug Deal April 2, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I was one of the few in the room when he said that and up until that point I thought he was doing a great job. That comment left a bad taste in my mouth.

saltycracker April 2, 2014 at 8:47 pm

It may not be cool for Perdue to differentiate himself from Handel by pointing out his Masters from Tech, well traveled experience and being a very wealthy, successful executive but while a WTF moment, his qualifications in those areas are a heck of a lot better than Handels.

However, there are other more important litmus tests in this race to make our real decision from.

Will Durant April 2, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Molehill.

Handel is running for the US Senate and the lack of a higher education degree is a valid criticism. Too many of them are lawyers but that is my own personal bias ;) And I do want my US Senator to possess a world view, I have worked a few months at a time out of the country myself in the past and it is indeed its own education. You come to appreciate the US more but at the same time discover that in some areas we are not a free as we proclaim we are.

Perdue needs more polish as I’ve always preferred that a politician toot their own horn rather than cut the other guy, but most all of them do. I prefer the ones that tell me what I need to hear as opposed to what they think I want to hear as well but none of them do.

saltycracker April 2, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Yep, but it tells us something that so many can visualize a U.S. Senator in these days that hasn’t even earned a college degree.

Birddog11 April 2, 2014 at 9:34 pm

He’s mean spirited. His comments are a window to his soul. Clearly he perceives himself superior to us and those who shop at Dollar General. I suspect he lived abroad to construct supply chains which resulted in American jobs being outsourced!

Catwoman_Rules April 3, 2014 at 10:16 am

A valid point. The question will be asked how many American jobs he’s outsourced by sourcing items from overseas. The libs will portray him as a guy that has made money at the expense of Americans and not for Americans…..just like Congress.

Ghost of William F. Buckley April 2, 2014 at 10:14 pm

I had almost forgotten Ms. Handel lacks post High School education and truly appreciate this Public Service reminder…

Bull Moose April 2, 2014 at 10:18 pm

As I have said before, this is Guy Millner all over again…

Chris Huttman April 3, 2014 at 12:02 am

You think we can beat him three times in a row?

Doug Deal April 3, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I thought his name was “Millionaire” Guy Millner.

Ghost of William F. Buckley April 3, 2014 at 6:04 am

Is Georgia dead last in Education metrics, or are we still able to laugh at Mississippians for that distinction?

I won’t play spoiler to those defending the bombastic Ms. Handel, yet I anticipate sending a Senator with a GED to WDC sends the absolute WRONG message about education in Georgia.

Good grief, isn’t that as obvious as 2 + 2?

John Konop April 3, 2014 at 7:15 am

Georgia is not near dead last in education. In Georgia we have way more students taking the SAT via Hope. If you normalize against other states we are actually closer to the top third.

The truth is Georgia is like many states across the country. In general higher income suburbs have very good public schools,while rual and inner city have issues….Numerous issues are driving the problem, from lack of alternatives for non 4 year college based students, social enviorment, lack of students……

Georgia has recently focused on offering more alternatives…..vo- tech, on line classes, joint enrollment, increase AP…..the alternatives are open for public, private, charter and home.

The biggest investment most people make are their home. 2 top major factors are schools and jobs that drive home values. I really do not understand why the bashing of schools is constantly driven by broad brush, which overlooks the facts in Georgia. I have constantly pushed for improvement in my county with our school board, without trashing what has been accomplished. Do you really think false bashing of schools help jobs and home values?

Ghost of William F. Buckley April 3, 2014 at 1:26 pm

So your saying an analytic view of facts clearly shows Georgia ranks pretty well in education. Statistical analysis and critical thinking skills are the hallmarks of higher education and I believe you made my point.

Georgia has a terrible reputation for poor education, perhaps false and undeserved as John points out.

Sending Ms. Handel to WDC really doesn’t do anything to change that opinion. To be fair, sending Mr. Perdue, with an attitude displayed on this tape, may not help Georgia much either.

It is going to come down to Jack Kingston, folks, I’d bank it.

Chris Huttman April 3, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Sorry I don’t believe that is correct – even among states where a large percentage take the SAT we’re still at the bottom. Now John is right that if you go to East Cobb those schools are probably among the best in the country, but overall we score low regardless.

And – we have been moving up in the 3 score SAT rankings (math+verbal+essay) but largely because of the essay score, moved us from like #50 to low 40’s. But if you look just at math+verbal (ie the way the old rankings were done) we are still at the bottom. Essay is boosting us – and guess which score they are getting rid of and going back to the old way…get ready for the drop in the rankings.

MattMD April 3, 2014 at 6:56 am

Arrogance from a Perdue? You must be joking!

Didn’t Sonny have a DVM? I remember him being one of the most uninspiring governors we’ve had in a while. He was about as “Do-Nothing” as Joe Frank Harris and wronged a lot of state employees.

He reminded me of the boss in Dilbert.

Will Durant April 3, 2014 at 7:49 am

Alright I’ll see your deflection and raise you a thousand fold. Like Karen Handel, Adolf Hitler only had a high school level education. Sonny isn’t running.

Regardless of who the Republicans run they will be running against a woman who not only has a pedigree, which shouldn’t matter in this country but does anyway, she matriculated at Virginia, Oxford, and Harvard, finishing with degrees and honors. Don’t think for a minute that won’t come up a few times.

MattMD April 3, 2014 at 8:05 am

You brought Hitler, so therefore you automatically lose any debate here, whatsover.

Kindly exit the thread.

Jason April 3, 2014 at 8:29 am

+10

Will Durant April 3, 2014 at 8:53 am

You were bringing up someone not on the ballot. So did I. The fact Sonny has an advanced degree is just as relevant as Hitler not having one. The fact that David Perdue is Sonny’s cousin does not make him Sonny. I’m not even sure he will get my vote as yet but I cannot bring myself to vote for Handel because my own opinion is that she would be ineffective. The Senate still likes to think of themselves as aristocrats whether Jason likes that or not. Women can be effective in that august body but not without being in the club.

Jason April 3, 2014 at 9:00 am

Having met a number of senators, I’m well aware that some fit that description. But not all. There are many very welcoming people on both sides of the aisle.

Noway April 3, 2014 at 9:16 am

In favor of stifling speech much there Matt? (eyeroll…)

Noway April 3, 2014 at 8:12 am

Perdue is an absolute arrogant clod. I wonder if he realizes the vast majority of the voters he’s courting also don’t have a college degree. Open mouth insert foot.

objective April 3, 2014 at 8:31 am

a minor rookie mistake. there’d be nothing wrong with him just mentioning how some of his opponents just don’t have the qualifications in his opinion. then focusing on his own.
the more disturbing comment to me is his “us vs. them” approach on the origin of the debt. more likely it’s a dem vs. repub setup (instead of a saxby vs. new guy reference), but either way, although it’s a play one could expect an “outsider” to make, it demonstrates that politics trumps responsibility with him

Chris Strickland April 3, 2014 at 8:31 am

This is why the GOP can’t have anything nice. You get a front runner and then you start kicking them.

South Fulton Guy April 3, 2014 at 8:41 am

How many of those elected to the House and the Senate did not graduate from college? The answer: 27 House members and 1 Senator, or 5 percent, according to the article, citing the Congressional Research Service.

Jason April 3, 2014 at 8:43 am

College graduates in Congress are the problem!

AlanR April 3, 2014 at 10:16 am

Perdue and Handel aside — things would be a lot better for all of us if there were a few more people in congress who got their hands dirty for a living before they went into politics. I don’t think a master plumber or electrician would put up with the current tax code or the way Washington budgets. My fear for Perdue is that the democrats will match up Georgia workers who have lost their jobs over the years to Chinese manufacturers now doing business with Perdue.

No matter how rich you are or how many university degrees you have — when your toilet is clogged the smartest guy you know is the plumber that fixes it.

Michael Silver April 3, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Let’s be clear. Its the Harvard and Yale idiots that are killing America and leading us over the cliff.

Ghost of William F. Buckley April 3, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Lawyers from Harvard and Yale are the problem, Jason (;>)

Doug Deal April 3, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Jason, think of it this way. Going to College for heck of it has proven to be a financial boondoggle. Congress runs the budget the very same way. So, either that shows college is important or is the problem or both.

Just Nasty and Mean April 3, 2014 at 9:02 am

Perdue knows who his REAL competition is….an aggressive woman who has turned a tough childhood into a roaring success–going so far as missing becoming governor by less than ~>2500 votes.
The other three so-called “contenders” are perennial House back-benchers who have accomplished NOTHING while being there–even when they were in power int he WH/Senate/House.

Maybe it’s time for a no BS woman with real-world, common sense experience on how to get things done show these inept, elitist jackasses how to not be a Congressional lackey for the leadership!

Sybil Wainwright April 5, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Karen Handel IS a no BS woman with real-world, common sense experience who knows how to get things done! She has Emotional Intelligence, which some other candidates apparently do not. That important trait allowed Karen to successfully work with the other Fulton County commissioners who did not share her politics, but she engaged them in her methods anyway so that the county budget could be balanced WITHOUT the 3 mill tax increase that had originally been planned before she got there. I think that ability is what’s missing in Washington, certainly the three Congressional “career” politicians in this U.S. Senate race haven’t had much to tell us about what they’ve accomplished in over a combined 40-YEARS in Congress. They all talk the talk well enough, but not sure about the walk the walk part! We have to send somebody different to Washington, and we ought to know now that Karen is the best choice!

Jason April 3, 2014 at 9:15 am

This post, by the way, has nothing to do with this particular race. I wrote this one for me, not anyone else.

I briefly attended college, but realized that it wasn’t my thing. I’ve worked my ass off to get where I am today.

It wasn’t an easy path and it may have been slower than others, but I’ve been blessed with a career that is also my passion, one in which I frequently talk and write about those “issues [that] are so much broader, so complex.”

You guys can bicker and complain about how this is a partisan attack, but it’s just not.

Noway April 3, 2014 at 9:22 am

I didn’t see it as partisan at all Jason, as a matter of fact I’m glad you pointed it out…
Shows what an ass Perdue is. Karen now has the perfect weapon to pulverize the twerp with…

debbie0040 April 3, 2014 at 9:15 am

My FaceBook post:

Open letter to David Perdue, candidate for U.S. Senate from Georgia.

First, let me say that I am completely appalled by your elitist, demeaning comments regarding Karen Handel being a high school graduate. I don’t have a college degree either and your comments were an affront to me and other people without college degrees. Your comments truly showed that you are an elitist that believes you know what is best for voters and we should all just listen to you because we are not smart enough to know what is best. We have enough elitists in Washington D.C. and the last thing Georgia needs to do is to send another one. Georgia deserves to have a public servant representing them in the U.S. Senate.

There have been many very distinguished leaders in our nation’s past and present that did not have college degrees. With your comments you insulted President Abraham Lincoln who showed true leadership while President. Mr. Lincoln was a self-taught man that only had one year of formal schooling. He read Blackstone Commentaries and studied on his own to become a lawyer and eventually president. Andrew Jackson was home schooled and had no formal education. He became a practicing attorney by age 35, served as a General in the military, congressman, attorney, judge and served as our nation’s seventh president. Benjamin Franklin was home schooled. One of the first mega billionaires in the United States and well known philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, was an elementary school dropout. Thomas Edison was homeschooled and had no formal education. Walt Disney dropped out of high school at age 16. Charles Culpepper, owner and founder of Coca Cola dropped out of high school. Henry Ford never attended college and neither did George Eastman – founder of Kodak, Jay Van Andel – billionaire co-founder of Amway, John D. Rockefeller, Sr., and Joyce Hall – founder of Hallmark Greeting cards.

More modern day successes without college degrees include:
David Green, co-founder of Hobby Lobby is a high school graduate and did not attend college. Kirk Kerkorian, billionaire investor and owner of MGM Studios, Mandalay Bay and Mirage Casinos in Las Vegas dropped out of school in the eighth grade. Richard Branson billionaire owner of Virgin Records, Virgin Atlantic Airways and Virgin Mobile dropped out of high school at age 16. Tom Anderson, co-founder of Myspace dropped out of high school. Shawn Fanning , developer of Napster, dropped out of college at age 19. One of the world’s richest men, Bill Gates, dropped out of college and so did Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. Mark Zuckerberg, co-founder of FaceBook dropped out of college in his sophomore year. Steve Jobs co-founder of Apple Computers dropped out of college after only six months.

There are many more examples I could give you, but I think you get the drift.

My advice to you, Mr. Perdue, is for you to climb down from the ivory tower you live in, take your silver foot out of your mouth and profusely apologize for your remarks.

John Konop April 3, 2014 at 9:17 am

Agree or not with Karen she is a very bright person. We have had numerous conversations over the years on policy from education, economics, energy…….every time Karen knew the topics well with insightful input. I challenge anyone to have a conversation with Karen and not come away impressed with her knowledge. I have never met Mr. Perdue, but obviously he has had an impressive business carrier. I would hope he would push the debate toward issues over this BS……..Can we not focus on issues over spewing cheap shots?

Noway April 3, 2014 at 9:19 am

This insult, as minor as some think it to be, will sink Perdue. Put a fork in him now, he’s done.

drjay April 3, 2014 at 9:34 am

i like karen handel, she is my second choice in this race–but when this came up in the guv race, i wondered a loud how simple it would be for her to complete some sort of degree–i believe she went to college in maryland for a bit, i can’t imagine she wouldn’t be able to put together a couple of papers and submit her work experience as an “internship” or some such and get a degree on public policy or gov’t affairs or some such form either a previous school she attended or even a local community college–then this goes away…or would have went away, or never have shown up in the first place…whatever

but yeah, perdue has a little bit of a thurston howell iii thing going these days, doesn’t he…

Doug Deal April 3, 2014 at 4:49 pm

However, what is the point of going to college just to say you went. I think that is the reason so many kids are saddled with huge debts before they have even started working.

I considered going back to school a few times in my life to get a higher or different degree. When I looked at the payback it was never worth it and I pretty much can learn anything on my own without a guided tour by some overpaid professor with no real experience. The best way to learn is to dive in (whenever practical). When I hire people the one thing I never ask about is education, only experience.

drjay April 4, 2014 at 10:02 am

in her case, the point would be so that this specific conversation doesn’t occur about her for two elections in a row…nothing more, nothing less

Baker April 3, 2014 at 9:53 am

Harry Reid has a BA from Utah State and a JD from Washington Univ.
Nancy Pelosi has a BA from Trinity College.
Barbara Boxer has a BA in economics from Brooklyn College.
Chuck Schumer was a valedictorian in high school and went to Harvard for undergrad and his JD.

Catwoman_Rules April 3, 2014 at 10:02 am

I don’t think running a white pro-life man against a liberal pro-choice woman is a good match up. I keep thinking of Todd Aiken….please not again.

Catwoman_Rules April 3, 2014 at 10:13 am

Also, David Perdue might have a college degree, but we must ask ourselves these questions:

1.) How much merchandise was sourced from China and other countries when he ran Dollar General? (most of those items end up in landfills)
2.) Did he outsource IT jobs to India/China?
3.) Just exactly where were those tennis shoes manufactured, Mr. Perdue?

I asked Karen where she stood on the H1B visa issue, she had solid answers (investing in STEM programs and retraining AMERICANS for these technical jobs NOT importing foreigners to take American jobs).

Karen has been vetted, she’s a fighter, she’s smart…and (in my opinion) a better match up against Nunn.

Brother April 3, 2014 at 3:46 pm

So what are her views on H1B issues?

When she was SOS and I asked in an open meeting of all Boards chairpeople, that she have SOS investigators check immigration status of persons they were working complaints on, she flatly refused to allow it .

When she had clear authority to do something as simple as having investigators ask for documentation, she refused to allow them to do that. The problems we were working with at the time would likely have been stopped pretty quick if that had been done. As it is, that problem still exists, and is even worse today. Oh, and she cut investigations and Board staffs to the bone, where investigations lagged for months, and complaints took years to complete.

Oh well, she did quit SOS before her term was up, just like the county commission post, but I don’t think she did us any favors doing either.

South Fulton Guy April 3, 2014 at 10:18 am

The Weekly Standard: “David Perdue on Karen Handel: ‘High School Graduate'”

South Fulton Guy April 3, 2014 at 11:00 am

A look at census data for Georgia shows this might not resonate with voters. Among Georgians 25 years and older, 64.7 percent do not have a college degree — associate’s, bachelor’s or master’s.

General Jack D. Ripper April 3, 2014 at 11:15 am

Dear Mr. Perdue,

The reason there are so few former CEOs in the Senate is because CEOs make terrible candidates. That you for illustrating why.

I was on the fence between you and another candidate. While I would vote for Michelle Nunn before Karen Handel, I will not be voting for you in the primary either.

Thank you for making your gaff early.

Sincerely,

JDR

P.S. I bet you also believe in water fluoridation.

Baker April 3, 2014 at 3:13 pm

You’re going to vote for Michelle Nunn possibly but don’t believe in water fluoridation?

Doug Deal April 3, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Overall, I think that lot are more from the left than the right, but there is some from the right. I’ve been hearing about fluoridation conspiracies since I was a child and the people spouting them have (until recently) been burnt out hippies.

jiminga April 3, 2014 at 11:21 am

Perdue tells he was successful at Reebok and Dollar General, but was he? He doesn’t mention leading PillowTex into liquidation. He tells us he can do better that all those folks in DC but offers nothing in programs and policies, using Washington as a straw man. But on the plus side I’m happy he’s found a use for all those millions in golden parachutes he’s accumulated.

A. Neil LeCage April 3, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I have heard Karen Handel’s lack of college education brought up through the years from voters. While I certainly believe that David Perdue did a great disservice to hard working people without a college education by these comments, I hope Handel’s campaign realizes that this is actually being talked about. As I have mentioned before, Handel is currently my 1st choice, with Kingston and Perdue vying for number 2. I am just trying to be realistic here.

South Fulton Guy April 3, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Karen came within only 2,500 voters of defeating Nathan Deal in the gubernatorial primary without a college degree, and with the piling on of Deal’s Congressional colleagues no doubt in part for her position on ethics and her opponents ongoing ethical issues which still are an issue. Most GA voters who do not share his highness Perdue’s diplomas don’t care about this false and irrelevant issue, and prefer folks who lead in the public sector from the school of hard knocks not based on a framed sheepskin

Billy Jack April 3, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Damn, author–defensive much? Inferiority complex says what? I didn’t go to college to “get a piece of paper to validate my life” either. (By the way, congratulations on simultaneously demonstrating a lack of understanding as to what obtaining a college degree at a good school entails and showing your own ignorance, and doing so in one sentence no less. Kudos.) I worked my butt off to pay for my education and improve my lot in life. And if you don’t think that the lack of a post-high school education is a legitimate consideration in selecting a candidate for the U. S. Senate (read: not the Georgia legislature, but our national legislative body which deals with some very, very complex issues) then you are both an object lesson and a cautionary tale on the importance of education. Now you can go comfort Debbie Dooley. Again, well done.

Jason April 3, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Actually, I do know what it entails and I’m well aware of what my decision meant in terms of missed opportunities. Here’s the thing. College is a racket. Sorry, but that’s what it is. Too many Millennials are coming out of school only to find that their degrees aren’t an immediate gateway to a career, at least not immediately or, perhaps, not even years down the road. Those student loan debts, however, still exist.

I don’t care if someone bases their vote on whether or not a candidate went to college. I do care that a candidate went out of his way to insult another candidate, while at the same time basically denigrating many whom he is seeking to represent. “Don’t ask questions, dear constituent, it’s a broad, complex issue.” Eyeroll.

Congrats on your success.

saltycracker April 4, 2014 at 7:53 am

The university system is messed up because it delivers exactly what the public demands. We believe everyone should get a diploma, vo-tech (where the bulk of the future jobs are) is underrated and we insist our politicians throw money at BA/BS colleges from every direction,
Which results in a too expensive, employee empire. The “you are going home” degrees were selected by the students.That said those that make the most of the learning, training and opportunities come out with a productive trade.

For me, a college educated politician increases the odds of absorbing the complexities of the bill a minute legislations just as a a vo-tech person can puzzle out their business.

An easy bridge to cross, then we get into the more serious questions.

Noway April 4, 2014 at 9:26 am

Hey BJ, question: What’s your opinion on Rush Limbaugh’s success without a college degree? What a loser he turned out to be, huh?

analogkid April 5, 2014 at 11:03 am

I apologize for answering a question that wasn’t directed to me, but my response would be, “Yes, he’s a loser.” He came to work repeatedly while abusing drugs, which is something that in both the real world and the political world would, under normal circumstances, spell doom. Worse than that though, he has permanently damaged political discourse in this country. He’s created a world where it’s somehow OK to repeatedly call a college girl a whore, just because you disagree with her stance on contraception. His callow disingenuousness was a significant factor in my decision to no longer self-identify as a Republican.

That said, he’s been massively successful, and that fact cannot be denied. But here’s the problem… You can compare Rush Limbaugh to Steve Jobs to Mark Zuckerberg all you want. Those are reasonable comparisons. What you can’t do is compare any of those people to a career politician like Karen Handel. It’s just not the same thing.

It’s rare that someone is successful in both business and politics, because as much as we’d like to think that government can be run like a business, it can’t. Politics is about people and policy. Business is about profit.

The bottom line is that for some voters the failure of a candidate to complete a college degree is an issue, and for some it’s not. I personally think it’s a reasonable litmus test to even be considered for high office, but there are examples of politicians that haven’t. Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer comes to mind, and I think she’s a fair proxy for Ms. Handel. Both have been successful in politics, to varying degrees, without a diploma.

Michael Silver April 10, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Wisconsin Governor Walker doesn’t have a college degree either. He’s doing fine.

If you take Perdue’s comment to the extreme, he seems to be advocating any political leader should be forced to endure 4 years of indoctrination by Leftist Academics

analogkid April 11, 2014 at 8:21 am
Authority4truth April 10, 2014 at 12:12 pm

{Full comment redacted.

As annoyed as I was with someone supporting the Perdue camp’s attempt to dump old dirt on Paul Broun “anonymously” and spam the heck out of me and everyone else under a fake name “not directly associated with the campaign” demanding we do the dirty work for them, I’m equally annoyed that someone here tried to produce a full slander on Perdue based on nothing other than a rumor they wish to use our page to create. This account is banned under a one strike rule. – Charlie}

Comments on this entry are closed.