The Stealth Candidate finds the spotlight.

Two days ago, David Perdue’s plan to circumvent the Republican party’s litmus tests was going swimmingly. He went up on TV early, and his efforts to combine his campaign with a series of job fairs for the company he works for, Dollar General, had gained some traction. All he had to do was let the others take shots at one another and he could slip into the runoff against a wounded opponent. Then, perhaps his views that seem out of step with Republican primary voters might not sink him.

But yesterday, 11Alive released their poll which showed him at 29%, up 10 on everyone’s assumed frontrunner Jack Kingston. And now today, in the bright light of the front of the pack, comes the reveal:

ABC news ran a story this afternoon that David Perdue thinks Democrats have the right idea on Dodd-Frank. He wants reform, not repeal. I, of course, think this is awesome, but since I am what is known as an “unlikely Republican primary voter”, that probably doesn’t provide him much solace. The title of the piece is “Georgia Senate Candidate Veers Left.”

Now that the rest of the field is aware of his existence, I wonder what else turns up.

1. “I’m not going to go up there and tell you I’m going to repeal Dodd-Frank. I will tell you I’m going to fight to amend it. And to do that, I think I can find some Democratic senators who will join in with logic and be led into a reasonable solution. That’s the only way out of this box frankly.”

This is an individual that understands how the process actually works. He knows that there is more than one side involved in the process. Handel is currently my first choice, but Perdue has just moved into second. I thought Kingston was going to be more inline with these two, but he keeps going more towards hard-line right.

• Doctor Strangelove says:

$5 that your logical approach to politics is not shared by the majority of the Republican Party.

• BuddyFreeze says:

For those in Georgia paying attention, that’s to the left of Mitt Romney on Dodd Frank. I’m sure that’s going to work out real well for him in Georgia.

• saltycracker says:

This IS a big issue for a senator but maybe the far outs can needle him back to assisting those (rich and poor) wanting something from the biggest economy in the world as the primary focus.

• jiminga says:

“This is an individual that understands how the process actually works.” Maybe so, but he has no record of experience or success in making that process work.

• Dave Bearse says:

He’ll continue to do so. “I have a very conservative record and will not let any of my opponents outflank me on the right” Jack Kingston, late April or the first week of May 2013, soon after he threw his hat in the ring.

2. BuddyFreeze says:

He finds the spotlight from a poll that doesn’t deal with a plurality of likely voters that plan on voting in the primary. Seems like someone is a little desperate to get this Saxby carbon copy elected. Nice try.

3. saltycracker says:

The attempts to replace the Dodd-Frank Bill have repeatedly failed. Another financial meltdown is still a possibility and a giant step forward would be to end the universal mega-banks. Seperate the commercial and investment banks from the retail banks.

What is going to be easier, time is wasting, throwing out all the Dodd-Frank supporters so we can repeal it, or finding enough votes to address the core issue ? All we have seen since the crunch is the banks continue to consolidate and the mega-banks get bigger as their risk taking is guaranteed by the government.

Maybe Perdue is on track, let’s hear what he says.

4. jiminga says:

Correction: David Perdue does not work for Dollar General. They fired him several years ago. And his “business record” always fails to mention taking PillowTex into bankruptcy and liquidation.

• lfishbern says:

This comment is so ridiculous. David Perdue was hired by Dollar General to lead their turn around after an SEC restatement (which, by the way, he did successfully). He left Dollar General after Dollar General was sold to KKR. PillowTex was bankrupt before David arrived. You don’t have to lie about someone to try and make a point.

5. objective says:

positions on Dodd-Frank are probably really down the list of motivations of avergae likely voters, even if it’s an issue which actually distinguishes the primary contenders. unless the position is turned it into a marketable polemic, it bears little weight i’d think