Conference Committee Magic

March 20, 2014 22:07 pm

by Stefan · 6 comments

Or how to turn a bill about renaming “slums” into “areas of blight” into a bill to shield cities from their own ineptitude. Enter hb 374, the vehicle of choice if you think sinkholes are cool. Georgia Municipal Association decided that their bureaucrats negligence is so widespread the only thing to do was not to fix their actions but to prevent anyone from ever being held accountable.

The 11th hour of the 40th day in a darkened stairwell conference committee is not the place nor the time to forcefeed blanket immunity on the citizens and small businesses on this state. We’ll see in the next hour if democracy prevails.

John Pezold March 20, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I haven’t heard a single member of the House say they’re voting for HB 374. My (uneducated) guess is that it doesn’t come up for a vote. If it does, I think it goes down in flames.

Blake March 21, 2014 at 10:50 am

I nominate this for competition among the most cryptic, incomplete posts on PP.

Stefan March 21, 2014 at 11:16 am

You are correct to so nominate. In the acceptance speech, this post would like to thank the internet on the 3rd floor of the Cap for being truly terrible such that half the post was deleted, including the links explaining it.

You will be relieved to know that democracy and the shining light of day eventually did prevail and the conference committee substitute was not successful.

Michael Silver March 21, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Can you repost what was lost to the ether? Georgia Municipal Association also tried to get immunity for cities/counties that violate state’s gun law preemption as well. This is an important effort to undercut accountability of government that should be broadcast far and wide.

In the original versions of the gun bills there was section where government’s would have to pay the legal fees of people who win in court that the local government violate the state’s preemption law. I don’t know if this provision made it past soon-to-be Judge Jesse Stone’s hands and is in the final HB60

Lea Thrace March 21, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I am so glad you explained. I read the post 4 times in a row trying to figure out what in the world you were trying to say. Then I gave up and chalked it up to my apparently lacking reading comprehension skills. Its good to know I’m not as dumb as I thought I was.

Blake March 21, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Thanks for the amplification! A little real-world look into the perils of reporting from the Capitol.

Good to know this effort failed. Though thanks to PP providing the AJC link (http://www.ajc.com/sine-die-2014/), I noticed there are about a half-dozen bills all competing to rename “slums” as “pockets of blight”–very odd.

Comments on this entry are closed.