The David Pennington Flatbed Bus Rolls Through Atlanta

March 14, 2014 13:00 pm

by Buzz Brockway · 23 comments

Seen at the Capitol yesterday:

penningtonbus

I’m not opposed to creative campaigning, especially in the abscence of adequate campaign funds, but what’s up with the silver knight who looks like he just hit a homer?

Discuss.

lfishbern March 14, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Well, there’s one way to get your name out there. “David Pennington: The Guy with the Bus-Ridding Silver Knight”

Michael Silver March 14, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I figure it’s a David vs. Goliath thing ….. DAVID Pennington vs. Goliath Deal

I was at Pennington’s East Cobb event last night. If you think he’s a know-nothing mayor you will be very surprised when you hear him. His knowledge and ability to explain how Deal’s tax and government policy is destroying our state’s economic future is very impressive and troubling. Pennington’s deep understanding of real-world economics is his strong point.

His speech last night was pretty close to his 7 min campaign video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Faru20j598k

He’s very much a straight-shooter and clearly extremely smart. He is very much like a MIT Economics Professor. If this was contest of smarts, integrity and vision, Pennington would beat Deal handily.

Jon Lester March 15, 2014 at 11:10 am

I know one of his Dalton High classmates, who characterizes him very differently, and tells me his nickname was DayDay.

Michael Silver March 15, 2014 at 11:25 am

High School? Would you want to categorized by the way you were in High School?

I’m a totally different person than I was in High School. Its not even close.

Patrick Mayer March 15, 2014 at 11:31 am

“He is very much like a MIT Economics Professor. ”

In the fact that common sense escapes them on a monumental level when out in public?

This is almost as laughable as that dumb van a candidate would park in a Buckhead shopping center with his giant head on it…

Jon Lester March 15, 2014 at 11:52 am

Granted, this is a progressive-leaning friend who informs me, but the alternate characterization is stated in the present tense.

I’m an artist, so I appreciate the spectacle, but from the start, I’ve been skeptical that the rest of the state would care a whole lot about the mayor of Dalton, and I certainly wouldn’t have advised Pennington to resign from that office prematurely for the sole purpose of campaigning full time.

CyberCathy March 16, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Clarification: Mayor Pennington did not choose to resign for the purpose of campaigning full time. The act of qualifying to run for governor automatically ended his term as Mayor of Dalton.

btw …. I’m a Pennington fan who really appreciates our property tax in Dalton being reduced 28% under his leadership, the reserve fund increased 50%, $1 million spent on historic preservation. I’m not a city employee, but they are likely pleased they got raises during his tenure. There’s more good stuff like ethics awards for David & the city. Check him out.

Jon Lester March 17, 2014 at 9:15 am

If he pulls an upset, I’ll consider him, but as for the primary, the only candidate who’s earned my vote for anything this year is on the other ballot.

Charlie March 14, 2014 at 2:12 pm

When I saw this yesterday, the only thing that kept coming to mind was “Surrender Dorothy!”

Patrick Mayer March 14, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Charlie, are you saying that is a flying monkey aircraft carrier?

Charlie March 14, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I think they displayed the tin man but a scarecrow is driving this bus.

Jon Lester March 15, 2014 at 11:14 am

It may have a long bed, but it’s functionally a short bus.

greencracker March 14, 2014 at 3:35 pm
Demonbeck March 14, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Is that Chief Noc-A-Homa?

South Fulton Guy March 14, 2014 at 5:06 pm

At least the float did not have a bunch of crying babies on it…

xdog March 14, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I know who it reminds me of. “Here stands baseball’s perfect warrior. Here stands baseball’s perfect knight.”

Romegaguy March 15, 2014 at 10:37 am

All right, we’ll call it a draw.
Oh, oh, I see! Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what’s coming to you! I’ll bite your legs off!

saltycracker March 15, 2014 at 10:38 am

Takeaway: how not to be taken seriously….we will get what we vote for.

Will Durant March 15, 2014 at 11:44 am

Don’t know what image he’s trying to achieve here, but redneck knights should have been left in the 20th century.

objective March 16, 2014 at 11:48 am

i have to somewhat disagree with y’all. while i don’t think the float is let’s say refined or coherent or explanatory, i don’t think it shows a lack of commons sense or well-intentioned PR effort. big shiny thing= visually grabbing. but it needs more explanation around it, it needs the rest of diorama (sp.?) to make it work. if it were a fully developed descriptive story or theatrical display surrounding that statute- rather than lawn scraps- it could be an effective piece.

objective March 16, 2014 at 12:07 pm

and after watching that online ad linked above, there is a real diconnect. pennington has the stiffness of the statue, but not quite the same emotive charisma. sorry- but intelligence doesn’t sell easy- you need to get the presentation together to be viable in a popularity contest

Doug Deal March 17, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Technically, isn’t that knight riding the short bus?

saltycracker March 17, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Now that’s (cold) funny :)

Comments on this entry are closed.