The David Pennington Flatbed Bus Rolls Through Atlanta

Seen at the Capitol yesterday:

penningtonbus

I’m not opposed to creative campaigning, especially in the abscence of adequate campaign funds, but what’s up with the silver knight who looks like he just hit a homer?

Discuss.

1. lfishbern says:

Well, there’s one way to get your name out there. “David Pennington: The Guy with the Bus-Ridding Silver Knight”

2. Michael Silver says:

I figure it’s a David vs. Goliath thing ….. DAVID Pennington vs. Goliath Deal

I was at Pennington’s East Cobb event last night. If you think he’s a know-nothing mayor you will be very surprised when you hear him. His knowledge and ability to explain how Deal’s tax and government policy is destroying our state’s economic future is very impressive and troubling. Pennington’s deep understanding of real-world economics is his strong point.

His speech last night was pretty close to his 7 min campaign video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Faru20j598k

He’s very much a straight-shooter and clearly extremely smart. He is very much like a MIT Economics Professor. If this was contest of smarts, integrity and vision, Pennington would beat Deal handily.

• Michael Silver says:

High School? Would you want to categorized by the way you were in High School?

I’m a totally different person than I was in High School. Its not even close.

• Patrick Mayer says:

“He is very much like a MIT Economics Professor. ”

In the fact that common sense escapes them on a monumental level when out in public?

This is almost as laughable as that dumb van a candidate would park in a Buckhead shopping center with his giant head on it…

• Jon Lester says:

Granted, this is a progressive-leaning friend who informs me, but the alternate characterization is stated in the present tense.

I’m an artist, so I appreciate the spectacle, but from the start, I’ve been skeptical that the rest of the state would care a whole lot about the mayor of Dalton, and I certainly wouldn’t have advised Pennington to resign from that office prematurely for the sole purpose of campaigning full time.

• CyberCathy says:

Clarification: Mayor Pennington did not choose to resign for the purpose of campaigning full time. The act of qualifying to run for governor automatically ended his term as Mayor of Dalton.

btw …. I’m a Pennington fan who really appreciates our property tax in Dalton being reduced 28% under his leadership, the reserve fund increased 50%, $1 million spent on historic preservation. I’m not a city employee, but they are likely pleased they got raises during his tenure. There’s more good stuff like ethics awards for David & the city. Check him out.

• Jon Lester says:

If he pulls an upset, I’ll consider him, but as for the primary, the only candidate who’s earned my vote for anything this year is on the other ballot.

3. xdog says:

I know who it reminds me of. “Here stands baseball’s perfect warrior. Here stands baseball’s perfect knight.”

4. Romegaguy says:

All right, we’ll call it a draw.
    Oh, oh, I see! Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what’s coming to you! I’ll bite your legs off!

5. Will Durant says:

Don’t know what image he’s trying to achieve here, but redneck knights should have been left in the 20th century.

6. objective says:

i have to somewhat disagree with y’all. while i don’t think the float is let’s say refined or coherent or explanatory, i don’t think it shows a lack of commons sense or well-intentioned PR effort. big shiny thing= visually grabbing. but it needs more explanation around it, it needs the rest of diorama (sp.?) to make it work. if it were a fully developed descriptive story or theatrical display surrounding that statute- rather than lawn scraps- it could be an effective piece.

7. objective says:

and after watching that online ad linked above, there is a real diconnect. pennington has the stiffness of the statue, but not quite the same emotive charisma. sorry- but intelligence doesn’t sell easy- you need to get the presentation together to be viable in a popularity contest