Morning Reads for Thursday, March 6th, 2014

March 6, 2014 6:30 am

by Jon Richards · 17 comments

Morning Reads kicks off with an ode to Georgia state government from the most underrated band of the 70s.

Georgia:

President Obama’s budget didn’t include money for the Port of Savannah. Wonder if that will become an issue in any elections? (AJC for Senate, GPB for gubernatorial)

68 people testified in 3 hours on Common Core to the House Education Committee. Sources report all issues with Common Core have been solved (Marietta Daily Journal)

The Atlanta Film Festival will be graced by the presence of His Right Honorable Nicholas Cage (AJC)

The Redneck Games have been canceled again due to lack of sponsorship. Where’s a Duck Dynasty when you need one? (Telegraph)

The state’s unemployment rate dropped to 7.3% from 7.4%. The national unemployment rate is 6.6% (AJC)

Warner Robbins AFB scored a 48% on a key efficiency test. The Air Force’s other two maintenance depot scored a 97% and a 100% (Telegraph)

Spring training is not looking up for the Dawgs, especially some fella named Todd Gurley (SDS)

Believe it or not, the Southern Poverty Law Center gave Georgia an “A” for Civil Rights education. Apparently we can do some things right in their eyes (GPB)

National/International

Putin might be off his rocker according to Angela Merkel (The New Republic)

Obama’s appointment to the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department was blocked by the Senate, the first such block since Harry Reid dropped the nuclear option. This is good or bad

Residents of the Crimea will vote on March 16 to decide if they should become a part of Russia. This is likely to be a free and fair election, and the thousands of Russian troops stationed in Crimea will not affect voting in any way (USA Today)

The Winklevii are going to space (Slate)

Thoughtful article from Ta-Nehisi Coates on black players in the NFL using a certain racial slur (The Atlantic)

New SAT tests no longer demand students read, write (The Atlantic)

Turns out that fears that Chipotle would stop serving guac due to global warming are bogus. Thanks, Al Gore (WaPo)

For those that listened all the way through, here’s an Alison Krauss cover of “Oh, Atlanta” you may like more than the original:

CJBear71 March 6, 2014 at 9:06 am

If I was President Obama looking over this budget, I’d be like “Let’s see Governor Deal. You’ve screwed up my signature legislation in you state. I’ve got $33 billion ready for your state over the next 10 years, and you slapped it away. You’re now letting your Tea Party folks run amuck at your Capitol making it harder to get local help through your state agencies, and harder to expand Medicaid – something I believe will help over 650,000 of YOUR citizens. And you want my help for your signature Savannah Port. I’ve got 2 letters for ya… F and …”

They got rid of earmarks, giving the President more authority over discretionary spending. He should have smacked people around with it before.

Ed March 6, 2014 at 9:48 am

As much as I like Little Feat, Montrose and T. Rex disagree with your assertion.

Jon Lester March 6, 2014 at 11:10 am

No less a conservative paper than Die Welt has debunked the ‘crazy Putin’ story. Seriously, which of our presidents do you think has acted more rationally?

saltycracker March 6, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Ukraine is a mess. Putin has to be nervous over the riots in Kiev that threaten his corrupt oligarchs and the failure of his billionaire Prez Yanukovych ($12 billion looted ?) to get the riots in Kiev quelled. Looks like Putin is going to try the popular vote route in pro-Russia Crimea to get this back under control. Easier in todays mess, than a bought/rigged national vote that got his man in place.

It’s a tug of war between the EU and Russia. No chance of Ukraine just going there own way.

saltycracker March 6, 2014 at 12:11 pm

One of the more interesting financial interest stats.
Something to think about – supply/demand vs. fundamentals ? volatility ?

A world for those that pay close attention, know the companies/industries/externals really well and can move fast !

Stocks traded on U.S. Exchanges:

1997 8,884
2013 5,008

Down 44%

Harry March 6, 2014 at 1:46 pm
Ellynn March 6, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I find this list to be ebullient and desultory.

Ed March 6, 2014 at 3:43 pm

This guy approves of your post:

John Konop March 6, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Ellynn,

Below is for people like me who ended up in business, because we did not have BA type skill sets ie aptitude (ironic on a post about SAT). I can honestly say I have never used either one of the words….Nor do I know of a situation it would come up. But if I does happen I am prepared. :)

Warning Read Slow:

desultory
…that which goes constantly from one subject to another in a manner without rhyme or reason, with little sense of direction and in a half-hearted way

ebullient
…a person who is high-spirited and over excited and just a bit too happy; also used of something which has reached boiling point

Ellynn March 6, 2014 at 6:55 pm

If it makes a difference, although I have an interesting and expansive lexicon which I use to annoy my nephews and win radio triva contests (thanks to my 9th grade English teacher the late Ms. Mertz), I also suffer from a form of paraphasia. I can say big $10 words, but I can’t spell them (have to pull out my paperback copy of Webster all the time). I failed many a spelling test in my high school career as a result, and have poor SAT and ACT English scores to prove it. I’m just a math and art geek with a great memory. Luckly, God created office minions who can edit my work…

saltycracker March 6, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Kinda condescending there. If the schools started using the elementary spelling books of the nineteen/early twentieth century in high schools today, parents would storm the schools.

Ellynn March 6, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I hate spelling… My 5th grade teacher was old school. Miss a word on a spelling test, you’re going to copy that word over 200 times. I had a test where I missed 21 of 25 words. It was a bad weekend…

John Konop March 7, 2014 at 7:33 am

I am dyslexic …..it was very frustring taking spelling test.,..still when you read it the first time and it looks right…and the second time it does not look the same….early in my career I tried hiding it….in my 30′s I was driving strategy as an executive for a very successful company we turned around…..one of the executive would attack my emails spelling mistakes……he would refer to me as an idiot genius…….one day I told him I had dyslexia…,.it took him back….but Irroniically back against the wall is was always the same attack….now in my 50′s I laugh it off better….even on this blog and other blogs…..when I took on Kathy Cox and the educational establishment via lack vocational options, math 123…..they attack my dyslexia to discredit me even after I went public about it…..ironic how they would use it as weapon, being in the education business….at the end learning to accept your abilities or lack…..is key to success and sanity….

saltycracker March 7, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Poor spelling is like a thick accent, a distraction from what we are trying to communicate.
Fortunately we can use spellcheck but for PP, ironically, we can go with forgiveness as blogs are for entertainment.

In my fourth grade class we had spell downs, last one standing got a stick of gum…..usually Mary or me…..but you sure didn’t want to be among the first to sit…..reward and punishment worked as we had a lot of good spellers by year end….

John Konop March 7, 2014 at 1:43 pm

We did as well…..also had it for math….did well in math…spelling was another story….I agree carrots and sticks do work…..what I have fund is people who embrace their skill sets ie aptitude do better making money…running a company is about putting people in the right position….

Noway March 6, 2014 at 7:09 pm

+10000, keep going, Harry, I’d like to hear the rest of what you were going to say. My two cents: This country is toast.

MattMD March 6, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Before you cast aspersions on today’s youth, you might want to learn how to format an image on a host site. Google is ready when you are!

Comments on this entry are closed.