Rep. Josh Clark Will Not Seek Re-Election

February 22, 2014 7:30 am

by Jon Richards · 7 comments

State Representative Josh Clark of Buford announced he will leave his seat in the Georgia House after his term ends in December due to changing job responsibilities. From the Gwinnett Daily Post:

“It is with much prayer, consideration and a heavy heart that I announce I will not be seeking re-election for a third term,” Clark said. “Being given the opportunity of serving my community in the Georgia House of Representatives has been one of the most meaningful privileges of my life. I want to thank each of my constituents who have granted me the privilege of representing them.”

Clark is finishing his second term in the House, after defeating former Gwinnett Commission Chair Wayne Hill in the 2010 GOP primary.

The timing of Rep. Clark’s announcement is significant. Qualifying for the 2014 elections begins a week from Monday. Clark is a popular Gwinnett legislator who presumably would have run unopposed for reelection. Those who might want to replace him have two weeks in which to prepare for a campaign.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Jackster February 22, 2014 at 8:43 am

So two telling things tell me that Mr. Clark has already conspired to line up a candidate, and has hidden these activities from his constituents. I would think if you were one of the investors in his $39,000 cash on hand campaign, he would have kept you in the loop.

So the combination of campaign expenditure reporting dates not reporting before declaration deadlines, and several expenses which suggest he was “campaigning” prior to the session tell me that I’m glad this shadiness is leaving the building.

$5,466 for a campaign mailer, but your’e not going to run? right. So what’s it for then?

They clearly have a strategy, but are unwilling to share it with the people. Communication and validity above shenanigans on your way out, Mr. Clark.

ConservativeCaucus February 22, 2014 at 1:14 pm

That is quite a bit cynical. Rep Clark is a good man. Perhaps he was given an opportunity recently and has sincerely been praying about it and just came to a conclusion. It is easy to assume the worst with politicians, but maybe, just maybe this is exactly as he says it is.

Buzz Brockway February 22, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Josh is a good friend and has been for about 14 years. He’s a straight shooter and worked extremely hard for his constituents. We knocked on doors together in the snow, the rain, the July heat, and even some beautiful days, during his 2010 campaign. I was proud to serve with him.

I’m sorry he’s leaving the House but understand and wish him and his wonderful family the blessings of God.

Jackster February 22, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I’m glad Josh is a straight shooter – I’m also glad that he’s able to bring clarity and simplicity to his life and for his family.

With that being said, it would have been nice to see updates on his campaign site for what will happen next, instead of a blanket press release which brings recent activities into question.

Brett February 22, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Josh Clark is among the finest people I have had the pleasure to know. I’ve known Josh for a decade or longer.

Without doubt his decision was made with prayer and consultation with family and friends. His announcement in advance of qualifying provides opportunities for those that may be interested in serving.

His service to the state, his service to his family, and his service to God are all without gamesmanship. Josh is truly a man of integrity.

Like Buzz, I am sorry he is leaving the House, but wish him and his family the best.

Jackster February 22, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Well with that in mind, it probably is just cynicism.

I can understand having a big change because of a new opportunity – that’s why I’m very goad he was able to bring some simplicity and clarity into his life.

northside101 February 24, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Some data on the district (how it voted under current lines in 2010 and 2012):

2010 US Senate: Isakson 74%, Thurmond 22%, Libertarian 3%

2010 Governor: Deal 70%, Barnes 25%, Libertarian 5%

2010 Lt Governor: Cagle 70%, Porter 24%, Libertarian 5%

2012 President: Romney 68%, Obama 30%, Libertarian 1%

2012 Republican Pres. Primary: Gingrich 50%, Romney 27%, Santorum 16%, Ron Paul 6% (aboutt 5,700 votes cast by HD 98 in that contest)