• novicegirl says:

It’s curious that he was left out. Guessing the internal polling shows much less Name ID for Perdue, so the consultants may have felt no need to put him on the radar. Plus, would be impossible to fit him in the theme of the ad. It’s all about jockeying for that runoff slot and they must not view Perdue as a contender – yet.

It’s interesting to compare the Perdue and Handel ads. Perdue simply painted them all as a bunch of “whiny do-nothings.” Where Handel’s ad had sharper knives: “do-nothings who are also getting a bunch of free stuff at your expense.”

1. tribeca says:

Hasn’t Handel been in politics longer than Broun?

There’s something disingenuous about an “I’m not a career politician” ad when you’ve spent more than a decade running for, and serving in, elected office. Are we really supposed to believe that Handel wouldn’t engage in the same behavior as Gingrey, Kingston, and Broun?

ETA: Was I the only one who noticed that there was 1 minority in the entirety of that advertisement?

• novicegirl says:

Should she have added John Lewis to the list of Congressmen she was criticizing?

For the record, there are many, especially from a legal and a political perspective, who consider women to be a minority. They are stuck in the Intermediate Constitutional purgatory of not quite being a protected class, but not being part of the oppressive white dudes.

If you take the “women as a minority approach,” it would mean 90% of the ad was focused on a minority. Of course, the whole “majority minority” concept has been difficult for me to grasp, but one we’ll all need to contend with as America’s first graders rise to voting age.

• tribeca says:

I wasn’t referencing the Congressmen she was attacking in the ad, I was referencing the montage of “hard working tax payers” that played towards the end of the ad. I’m not saying it was a conscious decision, I’m just pointing out the humor in a GOP ad shop facing a shortage of stock video footage featuring (racial) minorities.

For the record, you see this same ridiculousness in all kinds of media (college recruitment brochures, company websites, etc.). Just given the GOP’s overwhelmingly caucasian reputation, you’d think they’d try to consciously inject a few Latinos or African-Americans into the background of their campaign ads.

2. Melb says:

Kingston and Gingrey both got $50,000 in gifts and trips?!? That is disgustingly shocking to me. Though I don’t think I would have put Broun’s $1,000 trip beside theirs.

3. Jon Lester says:

I did see elsewhere today that Handel either doesn’t know the difference between climate and weather, or figures it won’t matter with her likely voters either way.

I’m about to turn 44 and I’ve lived the last 42 years continuously in Georgia. I remember winters when it did snow more than twice, and today, February 20th, I have the window open, because the outside temperature is in the 70’s again.

4. southernpol says:

I guess this video would suggest that Handel never accepted a gift when she was elected.

I don’t think anyone in the state attributes the debt to Kingston, Gingrey, and/or Broun. Such a lame and ineffective argument. The problem is she could actually run on legitimate issues and her record, but she’s choosing not to.