SB 95 — Election of Non-Partisan County Chief Executives — UPDATED

February 19, 2014 10:11 am

by Nathan · 6 comments

Senate Bill 95 proposes the non-partisan election of county chief executives and county commissioners.  There is a lot of support from Republicans who live in Democrat-dominate counties, and there is a lot of resistance from Republican-dominate counties…of which I currently reside.  It’s a controversial bill that is getting discussed among Republican officers in the 14th Congressional District Republican Party (specific hat tip to 14th District Secretary Ed Painter), and I’m sure those same discussions are being discussed by other Republicans across the state.

Non-partisan races still need buy-in from that county’s legislative delegation in the form of local legislation, so it’s not a on-off switch if this makes it through the House and all the way to the governor’s desk.  I’ve heard it’s primarily aimed at chipping away on the few remaining Democratic strongholds…specifically counties like DeKalb and Fulton.

SB 95 passed the Senate yesterday in a 29 to 23 vote, but a motion to reconsider was made and will probably be voted upon today.

Discuss.

::UPDATE::

My bad. This affects the CEO/County Commission form of government and makes, if local legislation is adopted, the county CEO a non-partisan position.

Thanks to James Touchton for setting me straight.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

drjay February 19, 2014 at 10:18 am

i would have no problem with individual counties deciding how they want to run their elections in this regard–but i don’t feel strongly enough about it that i would call my legislator or anything like that…

greencracker February 19, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Too bad it is not easier to have an (I) [Independent, not incumbent] after your name, if there’s so many people who want to ditch the other letters when voters see their names.

Doctor Strangelove February 19, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I just have a problem with hyperpartisanship, like this bill. You admitted it yourself- this bill is aimed at weakening a political party, not at helping people make decisions. I would oppose this bill if it weakened Republicans, because at the end of the day, we should not legislate to take aim at our opponents, but rather to drive Georgia forward.

Will Durant February 19, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Why do I as a taxpayer help fund primary elections and their subsequent runoffs for any party to choose their nominee for the general elections?

James Touchton February 19, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Nathan, the bill does not affect county commissioners, only the CEO. This bill is specially aimed at Dekalb County as the only county with an elected CEO. Just an FYI.

Doug Deal February 23, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Local politics rarely overlap with state and never with Federal politics. Local elections are too specific and small to worry about who’s and R and who’s a D. Anyone who wants to keep that system cares little about anything but politics.

I would support this bill because it is a start, but it really should be every elected position smaller than state House or Senate and include DA’s.