First Casualty of the Election Season

February 19, 2014 11:00 am

by Tim Darnell · 5 comments

State School Superintendent John Barge now only has eight people gunning for his job, instead of nine.

Matt Shultz announced on Wednesday he is ending his campaign and endorsing fellow Republican Fitz Johnson.

Said Shultz: “Serving our country in the Marine Corps taught me that leadership is about serving others and that accomplishing the mission is more important than receiving personal glory.  I entered this race with a vision for real conservative reform in public education.  The practical reality of politics; however; is that campaigns cost money, and my fundraising has not been what I had hoped. “

With this latest development, Barge has four Republicans and four Democrats vying for State School Superintendent.

A. Neil LeCage February 19, 2014 at 11:06 am

I think this is staying on topic, but are there any rumors out there about candidates not staying in the U.S. Senate race and/or rumors of people getting into the Lt. Gov, Secretary of State, and other races? Qualifying is in less than 2 weeks, so I figured we would be hearing more about some of the other races.

drjay February 19, 2014 at 11:30 am

i thought i had read somewhere that yu might switch to the the ga-12 race–but that was before dutton got in, and i don’t remember where i read it now–heck it may have been on here somewhere…

ryanhawk February 19, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Shultz looks like the winner in this race so far to me. I respect his willingness to offer himself for leadership, his judgement in stepping out of a race he was nearly certain to lose, and his obvious commitment to serving his community and state. Looking forward to hearing more from him about what he learned about the other candidates during his time in the race and how he decided to endorse Fitz Johnson, a candidate I know nothing about.

I don’t know what Shultz is looking to do next, but I’d love to see him on the State BOE.

Charlie February 19, 2014 at 9:11 pm

For the record, I think John Douglas was the first casualty.

notsplost February 20, 2014 at 9:10 am

Usually in an election year the truth is the first casualty.

Comments on this entry are closed.