Morning Reads for Tuesday, February 18th, 2014

February 18, 2014 6:05 am

by Stefan · 11 comments

The Church of Scientology was established on this day in 1954. It is also John Travolta’s birthday. Coincidence? Yes. Morning Reads after the jump.

National:

• What Americans Don’t Know About Science (The Atlantic)
  • After 75 Years of AA, It’s Time to Admit We Have a Problem (Pacific Standard)
  • In-N-Out’s Burger Queen (Orange Coast)
  • Why Abercrombie Is Losing Its Shirt (NY Magazine)
  • You Will Be Investing For Free In 5 Years (Medium)
  • What’s the Point If We Can’t Have Fun? (The Baffler)
  • From Snowy Atlanta to Sunny Sochi, It’s All About Global Weirding (Daily Beast)
  • Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic (Slate)
  • A Scientific Explanation of How Marijuana Causes the Munchies (Smithsonian Magazine)
  • Karl Rove: Presidents Who Leave Deficits, Bad Economies, and War Are the Worst (NY Mag)
  • Cruz Senate Stunt Goes Unpunished as Old Tools Don’t Work (Bloomberg)
  • The Old Man (NewYorker)

Georgia:

• Your favorite Canadian may soon be your next door neighbor (Fox5)
  • Testimony reveals a fractured Dekalb DA’s office (AJC)
  • Deal requests federal government to send refugees elsewhere, citing his disdain for spicy food (AJC)
  • State trying to shield provider of death penalty drugs from view (AJC)
  • Second storm gave Georgia governments second chance to prepare Georgia for storm (AJC)
  • The end game for the Georgia legislative session (AJC)
  • Challengers to incumbent do so with little cash (Telegraph)
  • Prayer and power shifts under the Dome (GPB)
  • Not all are happy with plan to let Legislature decide Medicaid expansion (WABE)

Harry February 18, 2014 at 7:33 am
John Vestal February 18, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Here I am reading (once I got my glasses on) a “St. Baldrick’s Foundation Week” proclamation from The City of Roswell at the beginning of the 2012 St B’s event at The Harp Irish Pub.

This year’s event is less than 3 weeks away….Sunday, March 9…..and I hope to see some of you there! Others?….yeah, even you….it’s too important a cause to be picky. :>)

Ellynn February 18, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I like my long (lVery very long) curlly brownish redish Irish/German hair. I do give money to my cousin who buzzes his every year. Does that count? :-)

John Vestal February 18, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Absodamnlutely! :>) I happily add my thanks to you for supporting him!

Three Jack February 18, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Georgia’s Sons of Confederate Veterans has a likely to be controversial new license plate – http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/02/18/a-confederate-symbol-makes-a-georgia-comeback/.

Governor Deal was asked about it and responded thusly, “I hadn’t heard that so I don’t know anything about it. I’ll have to talk to them about it. I had no information in advance about it.” I guess it was just as “unexpected” as a forecasted mid-afternoon snow storm.

griftdrift February 18, 2014 at 5:01 pm

The “Sons” are idiots

And we should be out of the custom license plate business completely. For this reason and all the other “cause” license plates. Want to toot your personal crusade? But a bumper sticker.

Three Jack February 19, 2014 at 11:04 am

Agreed

Ellynn February 18, 2014 at 5:51 pm

The UGA ones annoy you…?

Will Durant February 18, 2014 at 6:31 pm

All of them annoy me but how confusing it is if you are driving out west with a Georgia “specialty” plate touting the University of Alabama? I’m with griftdrift on this one. A license plate should have your state and the pertinent identification numbers only. No confusing graphics or advertisement of sports teams, charitable organizations, or religion (as in college football).

xdog February 18, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I don’t mind the specialty plates but I’m surprised about the contribution to the sponsoring organization. For example, buy a plate with a horse on it and the Agricultural Commodity Commission for Equines gets a $10.

Harry February 18, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Higher education is America’s problem that isn’t being solved

Comments on this entry are closed.