Morning Reads for Tuesday, February 4th, 2014

February 4, 2014 6:00 am

by Stefan · 20 comments

I’m in mourning about Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who died this past weekend. But the Morning Reads, and Sri Lankan Independence Day live on. Morning Reads after the jump…

National:

•  How a Trust Can Cut Taxes (WSJ)
  • America’s future doctors are starting their careers by saving Wikipedia (Quartz)
  • Confessions of a former Libertarian: My personal, psychological and intellectual epiphany (Salon)
  • With Wall Street’s Support, Jeff Bezos Can Conquer the World Without Earning a Profit (Slate)
  • Gates Seen Taking Bigger Products Role at Microsoft (Bloomberg)
  • Downworthy: A browser plugin to turn hyperbolic viral headlines into what they really mean (Snipe)
  • ‘Wacko Birds’ Cloud Republicans’ Election Euphoria (Bloomberg)
  • The Day We Lost Atlanta (Politico)
  • How the NSA Almost Killed the Internet (Wired)
  • History of American Bandstand (Salient)
  • This Is Danny Pearl’s Final Story (Washingtonian)
  • Dogs Are Not People (Boston Review)
  • Rough Patch for Uber Service’s Challenge to Taxis (NY Times)
  • The Long Con: Mail-order conservatism (The Baffler)
  • How I Lost My $50,000 Twitter Username (Medium)

Georgia:

• Fulton County Jail still not among best hoosegows (AJC)
  • The difference between supply and demand and price gouging is a matter of degree* (AJC)
  • so SnowJam is going to cost us a Super Bowl? (AJC)
  • This article about the Groundhog Day includes this lovely line: “One’s as likely as the other, since groundhogs can’t predict the weather, meteorologists say.” Yes, meteorologists do say that. Gracias, AJC. (AJC)
  • Vouchers! No, not vouchers? Oh, tax credits, I stand corrected. Tax credits! (AJC)
  • Brunswick has gotten a bigger boat. (BrunswickNews)
  • Savannah to cast island adrift (SMN)
  • If you’d like to pay a lot for insurance may I recommend Southwest Georgia? (NPR)

*this is a pun.

9:45 update:

Oh, and Brenda Wood removes the gloves to address Coke’s take on America the Beautiful. (wxia)

The South’s 101 best bars (SouthernLiving)

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

Thomas Adams (@GeorgiaCRE) February 4, 2014 at 6:28 am

Morning Reads for Tuesday, February 4th, 2014 – I’m in mourning about Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who died this pa… http://t.co/83FpnEuktT

2g Strategies (@2gstrategies) February 4, 2014 at 7:42 am

From @peachpundit Morning Reads for Tuesday, February 4th, 2014 http://t.co/MxbrTfsCv6

John Konop February 4, 2014 at 8:02 am

Sad story, and great clip from an excellent actor……we as a country need to treat drug addiction and mental health issues as medical problems not criminal…..drugs problems are usually a way to self medicate mental issues….if someone broke their leg would you tell them to toughen up and go run on it over getting treatment? Time to stop the war on drugs and people with mental health issues. The prison system is the largest provider of mental health treatment….does anyone think that this makes any sense? I was in a courtroom listening to a case about a kid arrested for drinking under age, having a pot pipe and flicking a knife into the wood of the pourch. The defendant explained to the judge he was schizophrenic off his meds…..which seeing him was obvious he had issues….instead of putting him in a mental health treatment, the system gave him rediculous amount of fines, fees….and forced him to get a job to stay out of jail….advised to get out patient treatment….the kid explained via his medication issue, no transportation…..he had problems with work…..the judge than gave a schizophrenic off his meds with wild eyes a get tough speech….we all wonder why on a macro people like this end up back into they prison system….sadly the Hoffman tragedy is the tip of the ice berg…..We need to really put aside the politics and fix the problem….btw it starts will of us realizing mental health issues are a health issue needing treatment like any other health issue.

Stefan February 4, 2014 at 9:22 am
Ellynn February 4, 2014 at 10:15 am

My friend has a 41 year old child with schizophrenia. She waited 12 days for an available slot in a mental health center. After stablizing him, 10 days later he was released since someone “sicker” needed the bed. In the last decade the state funds for mental health, like all things in this state, have been cut to the point where the number of bed for treatment are less them 60% of what they were. A judges order could not even get my friends child a bed right away, it took almost two weeks. As long as people don’t want to pay for helping others, nothing is going to change, it’s just going to get worse.

Rich February 4, 2014 at 8:25 am

Nice clip choice. “Almost Famous” was the first film I was consciously aware of the actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman. His Lester Bangs was so spot on wanted to know who had recreated him so perfectly. Then realized everything else I’d seen him in without even noting it. R.I.P.

Harry February 4, 2014 at 8:43 am

C’mon, he was a junkie. Move on to the next one.

As Doug Giles says, “Does it strike any of you as strange that rockers, movie stars and regular Joes can abuse drugs and live lives of utter disdain for God and his principles and then, upon expiration from some drug-induced death, everyone says, ‘Well, at least now they’re at peace.’ Or, ‘I guess God needed them more up there than he did here’.

Look, I know we’re all sinners, but some stars openly mock him with their lips and lives and then, when they die a disastrous and selfish early death which destroys their spouse and kids, they magically morph into a saint. I call bullsh*t.”

xdog February 4, 2014 at 8:56 am

Who’s Doug Giles?

I gave up worrying about celebrities’ personal demons a long time ago, as long as they aren’t hypocrites or public menaces. I’ll sure miss not seeing any more of Hoffman’s work and it’s a damn shame he died with a needle in his arm but he knew what he was doing; it’s not like he was preaching morality for a living and shopping scrips on the side.

Harry February 4, 2014 at 9:10 am

No, he didn’t know what he was doing.

Stefan February 4, 2014 at 9:24 am

I didn’t know the guy, but he was important to a lot of people. Perhaps on the occasion of his death, we owe both him and those that loved him more than “C’mon he was a junkie. Move on to the next one.”

Harry February 4, 2014 at 9:53 am

I save my sympathies for aborted babies and dogs put down in the kill shelter.

MattMD February 5, 2014 at 5:36 am

Why don’t you just leave this site? Nobody takes you seriously and your act has become very boring. You are as predicable as the morning sunrise.

Burn in hell, Harry.

Harry February 5, 2014 at 9:35 am

I hope you libs don’t like me.

Ellynn February 4, 2014 at 10:27 am

This statement alone tells me how very little you know about addiction Harry.

taylor February 4, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Add it to the list of subjects Harry knows little about.

DRightOne February 4, 2014 at 9:11 pm

My granny used to say, “If you don’t have anything nice to say about the DEAD, don’t say anything at all.” A bit of ad lib on the real quote but you get my point.

Harry February 5, 2014 at 12:35 am

Gee, I’d never say bad things about Hitler ’cause he’s dead.

Charlie Harper (@IcarusPundit) February 4, 2014 at 8:34 am

Morning Reads for Tuesday, February 4th, 2014 — Peach Pundit http://t.co/yKp1UZgG5J #gapol #gagop #gadems #tcot #p2

Ellynn February 4, 2014 at 10:51 am

The Savannah Island story has an update. By Sunday, the local reps had stated they would not but up the bill until they heard from the city, who know nothing about what the county chairman was planning.

Jon Lester February 4, 2014 at 11:50 am

I have a cousin who’s a practicing Buddhist, so I won’t fault the guy writing the Salon article for that, but I do think it’s a case of telling progressives just what they want to hear about libertarianism. Interesting that Ben Shapiro has a stupid anti-libertarian column out today, too. It’s almost as if socons and liberals are equally fearful that Americans want to reclaim their freedoms.