Kingston’s finance director: “Quit whining” about the weather

Buried in an AJC report on a poll from our friend, Chris Huttman, are these nuggets from Phil Wilheit, Jr., who serves as finance chair for Rep. Jack Kingston’s Senate campaign:

Hey Atlanta! Quit whining about how inconvenient the last few days have been. It’s called earth and weather and it does what it wants. On the west coast it make the ground shake and makes buildings and bridges fall on you. On the gulf coast the oceans swallows miles of land and blows trees homes to smithereens. In the Midwest funnels pick up cars, houses and people and rip them to pieces. In the north the snow is measured in meters and the temperatures make things like ears fall off. So stop complaining about your long commute home….at least it was still there when you finally arrived.

I was in Washington, DC when the storm hit and had a couple laughs about the manner in which Metro Atlantans act during snow storms. Honestly, I didn’t think it would be that bad. “We learned from 2011,” I told myself. Obviously, we didn’t, and political leaders will, undoubtedly, have to answer to voters for being unprepared.

But not only is Wilheit tired of your “complaining” and “bitching” about a few flakes of snow and offering you free lessons about the natural disasters and acts of the Almighty that happen in other places around the country. He’s also thinks you’re less of a man:

Sick of the whining. The “men” in Atlanta need to drink less cosmotinis and forget about ever getting another pedicure. Be a man like the guy who hiked 6 miles through the snow and ice to be with his daughter. Spend more time in nature and less time bitching about it. If more people had not panicked and bolted out of the office at noon we would not have gridlocked the highways and the DOT could have treated them. I left my office in Gainesville at 7:15pm. Checked traffic reports. Found a good route home and traveled 50 miles in 1.5 hours.

There’s some truth in what Wilheit said. No, not the douchebaggery about “cosmotinis” and pedicures, rather the point about people staying in their offices or at home. Outside of that, yeah, probably not the best way in which to talk to Georgians if you’re connected to a major political campaign.

1. Scott65 says:

Just an FYI…this was picked up at TPM along with Haley Barbour saying that it was being blown out of proportion…

2. James Fannin says:

I have to agree with Jason on this one. I’m not sure that if I were Kingston’s Finance Chairman I’d be using language like ” the “men” in Atlanta need to drink less cosmotinis and forget about ever getting another pedicure.” Let’s be honest, no one is ever going to mistake Jack Kingston for an infantry soldier or a lumberjack or the kind of guy who would walk 6 miles through snow – ever. In fact to parphrase Mr. Wilheit, Kingston actually does come across a little like a cosmotini drinking, pedicured, long-time DC dweller who always has staff pick him up at the airport – not that there is anything wrong with that.

• Cloverhurst says:

Clearly you do not know Jack. He rides his bike 9-10 miles every morning from Alexandria when Congress is in session. He is also one of the most down to earth people I’ve ever met in DC.

3. View from Brookhaven says:

I laughed. The city folks who live in the actual Atlanta were home quickly. I was imbibing (whiskey, not a Cosmo) by 2:30.

It’s those suburban, establishment Republican types that were stuck out in it…so, yeah. Good luck in the primary.

4. MattMD says:

We do get tornadoes here in Georgia, incidentally.

In any case, he sounds like a guy with a desperate case of needing his lights punched out.

5. zedsmith says:

The only Atlantans I heard complaining about the weather were sitting behind a desk and in front of a camera on CNN.

6. George Dickel says:

Judging by his Facebook page, it looks like Philip Wilheit, Jr desperately needs to be taught the difference between your and you’re.

7. Jon Lester says:

This guy’s father is the chairman of the hated Board of Regents, so this really isn’t helping Kingston get past his recent gaffes, and won’t help him at all with Augusta-area voters, or anyone in favor of campus carry. It also doesn’t speak well for Kingston’s ability to put together a good staff.