HB 737, Baby Steps

January 27, 2014 15:30 pm

by Eric The Younger · 9 comments

Some of you may remember me last year writing about home brewing (Here and Here) during last session, and this session will be no different.

Last year we got the ability to brew the federal limit (100 gal per person of legal drinking age up to 200 gallons per household) as well as the ability for home brew competitions to exist in Georgia.

What wasn’t in last year’s bill was the ability to transport home brew from the house where it’s made for consumption anywhere but a brew competition. Some of you may be thinking “well that’s not a bad deal” except that I can’t legally take my home brew to family functions like Thanksgiving or Christmas. Some people like to make sides, well I like to make beer. And I’m just as proud about my beer as grandma is about her acorn squash. (#truestory)

That may change this year with HB 737 proposed by Rep. Brett Harrell (R-Snellville). This would allow home brewers to transport up to 128 ounces as long as it follows certain labeling restrictions. This isn’t  bad bill, it is a step in the right direction. But 128 ounces?  I know that comes out to two growlers, but I don’t have my draft system up and running yet, I still bottle my beer and that isn’t even a 12 pack.

My rant being concluded, it is still a step in the right direction. Some people are very proud of the food they make and like to share it with others to enjoy. Home brewers are the same about their beer. At least, if this passes, I’ll be able to share with a few people. Not many, but a few.

peachpundit (@peachpundit) January 27, 2014 at 3:30 pm

New post: HB 737, Baby Steps http://t.co/eD63EWw67Y #gapol

Raleigh January 27, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Maybe we should limit the food taken to social functions to 128 ounces. I’m sure the pharmaceutical companies will be against that because it could impact their bottom line selling Lipitor, blood pressure medication, and various diabetes medications. Come to think of it that could impact the wild hog dinner which would be one way we could get the legislature to tighten their belt. Still that is the one thing and likely the only thing where I agreed with Jimmy Carter. Increase the law to KEG size!

Eric The Younger January 27, 2014 at 4:07 pm

It would be nice to take a keg somewhere. One would have to hope that there was a kegerator or a jockey box at the very least.

South Fulton Guy January 27, 2014 at 4:00 pm

How many beers are there in a hundred gallons?

Eric The Younger January 27, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Depending on loss at the bottom of your batches, you’d be somewhere around 960 12-ounce bottles.

Thomas Adams (@GeorgiaCRE) January 27, 2014 at 4:28 pm

HB 737, Baby Steps – Some of you may remember me last year writing about home brewing (Here and Here) during last … http://t.co/48sDiZcc1C

Noway January 27, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Freedom. Freedom. No restrictions on home made beer or liquor. I got no problems with bootleggers. Like a speed trap, it’s all about taxing the folks!

Charlie Harper (@IcarusPundit) January 27, 2014 at 6:01 pm

#gapol RT @brettharrell: HB 737 #HomebrewTransp bill passes subcmttee #GaBeer http://t.co/eDWduJWdpZ

Brett January 28, 2014 at 5:13 pm

HB 737 Homebrew Transportation Bill scheduled for full Regulated Industries Committee hearing tomorrow (Wed, Jan 29) at 3 p.m. Taking baby steps Eric.

Comments on this entry are closed.