Paul Broun the Xenophobe

January 24, 2014 17:17 pm

by Eric The Younger · 52 comments

H/T to @griftdrift on Twitter for bringing this one to my attention.

Buzz feed has a nice little video of Paul Broun (you know the current Congressman from Georgia 10 that really wants to be a Senator from Georgia) speaking to a group of College Republicans at the University of Georgia.

Normally this wouldn’t be of any news value, but he relates a story about being at the airport and watching a “man in Eastern dress…. Middle Eastern”  go through security without a pat down. Meanwhile grandma and the grand kids are getting wanded.

There’s so much wrong with this statement, and yet it’s completely illustrative of why we as Republicans can’t have nice things. If Broun wanted to talk about airport security, he could have easily found several talking points just from perusing this Cracked article. Each point, though written for a comedy site, is a valid critique of our current system.

Instead, Broun decided to go straight to the knee jerk xenophobe reaction and be shocked that a brown man might go through TSA without being harassed. Or the underlying implication that all single brown men traveling alone are terrorists.

He starts off the story by saying he doesn’t want to “embarrass anyone.” Well all he did was embarrass himself. Unfortunately, we have the opportunity to embarrass ourselves should we nominate him as our candidate.

peachpundit (@peachpundit) January 24, 2014 at 5:17 pm

New post: Paul Broun the Xenophobe http://t.co/vZeKPcYYaV #gapol

barstool69 January 24, 2014 at 5:45 pm
PegM January 24, 2014 at 5:47 pm

And he’s the same person who thinks the earth is only 6000 years old and evolution is a lie.

Noway January 24, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Was that there Middle Eastern man from the “pits of hailllllllllllll?” What an absolute pandering d**chebag!! Pity to our state if we even nominate that ***hole.

Thomas Adams (@GeorgiaCRE) January 24, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Paul Broun the Xenophobe – H/T to @griftdrift on Twitter for bringing this one to my attention.  Buzz feed has… http://t.co/YFEQSjIldR

Will Durant January 24, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Mr. Broun is full of bliss.

Chris Huttman January 24, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Of course he’s too dumb to know that the real reason they do random checks (at least in theory) is so that Al Queda watching CNN in some cave sees a story about grandma getting patted down and thinks if they’ll do it to grandma…

Will Durant January 24, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Or if they see grandmas getting a free pass…

Chris Huttman January 24, 2014 at 7:04 pm

That doesn’t usually make the news.

seenbetrdayz January 25, 2014 at 5:42 am

I’m sure that the same terrorists who hijacked planes with high-tech . . . box cutters could figure out how to bypass TSA security if they really wanted to.

The pat downs are more of a way for the TSA to try to justify its budget. Most attempts to perform airline attacks have been foiled by regular ‘ole Americans just paying attention to their surroundings, like when you see a guy trying to light his shoe on fire. That’s not normal.

tribeca January 24, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Wow. Just. Wow.

I remember the UGA CR event a few years ago where he said they had found copies of the Qur’an and turban shards in the deserts near the Mexican border. At the time, I thought “no way this moron can top that statement.”

Now, 4 years later, he’s taking his game to new levels. Bravo, sir! May you never stop in your endeavor to “tell it like it is.” It’s racist, bigoted xenophobes like you that make this country such a wonderful place to live.

Jon Richards January 24, 2014 at 7:28 pm

The UGA College Republicans have issued a disclaimer.

Doctor Strangelove January 25, 2014 at 10:16 pm

“His statements and those of all other guest speakers do not *necessarily* reflect the beliefs of our organization or its members, nor do we endorse candidates or their views.”

They didn’t say that his statement’s didn’t, they said they didn’t necessarily.

So yeah. Bad disclaimer.

2g Strategies (@2gstrategies) January 24, 2014 at 7:37 pm

From @peachpundit Paul Broun the Xenophobe – H/T to @griftdrift on Twitter for bringing this one to my attentio… http://t.co/66vfnujU7b

Rick Day January 24, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I am seriously considering crossing over and voting for this…gentleman.

Noway January 24, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I don’t blame you, Rick. This guy would be you Dems best hope!

Jack Bauer January 24, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I’d vote for him in a heartbeat if I was a Democrat!

Jack Bauer January 24, 2014 at 9:47 pm

“Unfortunately, we have the opportunity to embarrass ourselves should we nominate him as our candidate.”

Exactly! Paul Broun embodies everything wrong with the GOP. Both the party’s social conservatives and libertarians adore the man.

The problem is that both of these groups have a largely theoretical worldview. This will not fly with the average Georgia voter….especially if their choice is between a fringe Republican like Paul Broun vs a moderate Democrat like Michelle Nunn.

Be careful GA GOPers….you might just snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

Jon Lester January 25, 2014 at 9:23 am

It’s your vote, of course, but mine will go to Dr. Rad, who I think would be much better suited to debate Dr. Broun, despite the efforts of the DNC and SDCC to hide all evidence of competition in the Democratic primary.

Scott65 January 27, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I’m right there with ya on that one…although Gingrey was tempting for a while

saltycracker January 24, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Any confusion with TSA precheck or a Trusted Traveler program ?

Will Durant January 24, 2014 at 9:14 pm

My neighbor was raised as a Sikh and though he is not very religious still wears the turban to keep his parents happy. Even with his TSA Pre✓™ pass he still gets hassled every now and again but at least it isn’t 100% like it was pre-pass. Just more blissful types that lump all those “towel heads” together not even realizing that traditionally Sikhs aren’t exactly bosom buddies with Muslims.

greencracker January 24, 2014 at 9:52 pm

My scientific survey of my friend Mohammed reveals that everyone is patted down one hundred percent of the time.

Rick Day January 27, 2014 at 8:34 pm

hey I know him! How do you spell his last name, again?

Jawgadude January 25, 2014 at 12:02 am

OK… I’m confused as to what is wrong with Broun’s statement… as a conservative I believe in profiling likely terrorists instead of harassing American citizens… 99% of terror attacks are carried out by Middle Eastern Muslims. So the answer is to do a complete screening of anyone traveling to or from a Muslim nation, and also anyone who is a citizens of a Muslim nation, or anyone with a Muslim name or wearing Muslim garb.

John Konop January 25, 2014 at 12:11 am

According to the FBI I read 90 percent of terrorist acts are carried out by non Muslims in the USA. I have no issue with using proper scientific profiling along with random checks…..But using this to promote hate is flat out wrong.

saltycracker January 25, 2014 at 9:57 am

Cutting to the .gov site, you just might want to bounce these names off a plane ticket:

joe January 25, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I see on the NCTC site where one alias for Ayman al-Zawahiri is “The Doctor”—I better re-think my medical appointments.

oscardagrch January 27, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Who?

smvaughn January 25, 2014 at 8:27 am

Based on the following stat I’m about to make up, 100% of terrorist convictions here in Georgia have been Christian white dudes, often but not always elderly (See Samuel Crump and Ray Adams just days ago, and Frederick Thomas and Dan Roberts two years ago, and Eric Rudolph before them). So the obvious answer is to do a complete screening of anyone traveling to, from or through Georgia, and also anyone who is a citizen of Georgia, or anyone with a Christian name, who is white or who looks like a grandfather, right?

Rick Day January 27, 2014 at 8:38 pm

They do seem to hate the concept of freedom, don’t they? Damn SMV. we got a thing to ponder indeed!

Even when painted in the corner to their toes, they will deny racism is the basis for their politics. Coward’s can not speak the truth on their own. They would rather travel in herds of people like them.

Rich January 25, 2014 at 8:31 am

Hopefully we haven’t forgotten Oklahoma City so soon. I’d ask where the 99% statistic came from, if not already certain it is fabrication.

Am enjoying the show between Broun and Kingston. The GOP can self-destruct without benefit of attack ads or even debate. In any rational state, all Nunn need do is step outside and wave to a few cameras to win the seat.

Jon Lester January 25, 2014 at 9:26 am

Actually, I’m surprised we haven’t seen more Albanians, Bosnians, Chechens, Turks or other white Muslims sent to attempt an attack. Some Muslims actually have blonde hair and blue eyes, as Malcolm X saw for himself when he did the hajj.

Rick Day January 27, 2014 at 8:43 pm

And I don’t understand why Obama only has 23 months left in office, yet the FEMA camps and the Old Peoples Death Panels, taking our pistols and bandoliers and Muslim socialist judge assignments, or any of the other false fears trumped by the uber-right have yet to be enacted. He just can’t do anything right! The GOP is never wrong, what is Barry Waiting for?? I don’t get it!

Thanks, Obama

Charlie Harper (@IcarusPundit) January 25, 2014 at 9:46 am

If Broun hates brown, does that make him self loathing? Paul Broun the Xenophobe — Peach Pundit http://t.co/fhYEou38M5 #gapol #gagop #tcot

Lo Mein January 27, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Wow. Pretty racist comment there, Charlie.

Rick Day January 27, 2014 at 8:44 pm

you work for Broun, don’t you. Come on, disclose. An Asian Dish apologist for Paul Broun? Raaaacist!

Lo Mein January 27, 2014 at 8:51 pm

WTH?

jimflowers (@jimflowers) January 25, 2014 at 10:11 am

u shld write “Fear and Loathing #gapol 2014″ MT @IcarusPundit: If Broun hates brown … http://t.co/QJls8LNGFn #gapol

analogkid January 25, 2014 at 11:11 am

What can Broun do for you?
(a) Embarrass your party.
(b) Help elect Michelle Nunn.
(c) Give voice to your racist/ anti-science beliefs.
(d) All of the above

caroline January 25, 2014 at 4:09 pm

All I can say is he makes me laugh. I have gotten his flyers and I think they are funny but then he’s not trying to get my vote. He’s aiming for the voters in the GOP primary and frankly I would think his flyers are doing an excellent job of what they are meant to do. I would think they are EXCELLENT at pushing the buttons of the people who vote in the GOP primary (at least the ones I know) and they love these types of statements that make everybody else cringe and give Republicans who, you know, actually want to keep a senate seat Republican heart burn.

Jane January 27, 2014 at 1:16 pm

A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. A politicians who only listens to the voice in his head is similar. I am hard right as you can get, I like Dr. Bruon. However, he does not take advice very well and is not surrounding himself with advisers who can shape his message into something that can win. I am moving to the Kingston column.

Scott65 January 27, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Nothing about the message he is blovating these days is a winner…even here

Mrs. Adam Kornstein January 27, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Dear Congressman Broun,

Never stop being you.

Your friend,

Mrs. K

Lo Mein January 27, 2014 at 6:36 pm

It’s obvious from the comments here that a lot of people don’t get the fact that Rep. Broun is saying exactly what conservative Republicans believe, and conservative Republicans are the ones who are going to select the GOP nominee AND elect the next U.S. Senator from Georgia. You can dislike Broun, but this is a deep red State, and our next Senator will be a strong conservative Republican. There’s just no getting around that, all other wishful thinking and manipulation of surveys and statistics notwithstanding. It’s not going to change any time soon, so basically if you don’t like that, then vote with your feet.

Scott65 January 27, 2014 at 8:05 pm

If its Broun or Gingrey…they will lose. I have said it for more than a year…and I sure hope they (republicans) try to test that theory

Lo Mein January 27, 2014 at 8:19 pm

And I’ll predict here and now, it will be Broun winning the primary, and he’ll win the general election. He has the support of conservatives and libertarians, and they form a majority of the electorate in generals in Georgia. It’s simply math, nothing hard here.

Rick Day January 27, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Love it when people are so confident that they can predict the outcome of two elections 5 and 10 months away, respectively. How do you get such awesome powers?

Lo Mein January 27, 2014 at 8:52 pm

No awesome powers required. Simple math. Really, this one’s easy to call.

Rick Day January 27, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Doesn’t it bother you that you support someone who would say ANYTHING to get elected? Why does he only get to represent a coalition of tony plantation owners, while the rest of us are ‘punished’ for not being soulless enough like him?

Seriously, you just shrugged and admitted the man will not talk straight, he will just kiss the ass of the moment. Why on Earth are you so afraid of Hillary that would support someone who will get nothing done in a D-controlled senate. He will become the Ron Paul of the Senate: quaint, but impotent.

Lo Mein January 27, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I never said I supported Broun. I simply stated what’s politically obvious to anyone with eyes and a functioning brain. And I don’t think he’s saying anything just to get elected — I think he’s saying what he believes, and it just happens that what he believes *overall* lines up pretty well with today’s Georgia electorate. Like I said, you don’t have to like that, but it’s just a fact, and the only way to avoid that cold hard reality right now is to vote with your feet.

BTW, the Senate will be GOP-controlled after the November elections, which means people like Broun will be able to accomplish a lot more in the Senate than currently (which coincidentally is what happened with Rep. Paul after the GOP took over — e.g., he finally got his Audit the Fed bill passed overwhelmingly in the House).

And who is this Tony Plantation guy, and why does he allow a coalition of people to own him? That just ain’t right.

Rick Day January 27, 2014 at 10:33 pm

I’m sorry but I fundamentally disagree with your methodology and your generalization of “you don’t get it, therefore you are brain stupids.”

I love this particular brand of Socialist Patriotism: “MY America, MY way, accept my worldview or leave.” Just..no, you! You are a bowl of noodles. Go back to China. ChopChop!

Unfortunately, US corporations decided they didn’t love it because we didn’t have slave labor, and damn sure left it. Great Solution, Spaghetti Face.

I guess you either don’t understand the analogy, or feign ignorance to not accept my observation of mostly ‘white businessmen who pay $10,000 plates of processed chicken’ who support Broun. Just Mirriam the word tony. Then put that with the generalization of racism rife within that district (Plantation. It’s not too much an intellectual reach for you, is it)

Comments on this entry are closed.