Lawmakers Hope to Expand Gun Rights

January 14, 2014 13:01 pm

by Tim Darnell · 22 comments

Georgia lawmakers will be reviving an effort to expand gun rights, but will be starting over with new legislation.

That’s according to the AP, who said Senate Majority Whip Cecil Staton and Rep. John Meadows are weighing the possibility of giving college presidents and religious leaders the option of whether to allow guns on public campuses and in places of worship.

Both Staton and Meadows were part of a conference committee last session negotiating a deal on various gun bills.

Both said Monday that no action would be taken on the conference committee bill, and that completely new legislative proposals are now being drafted.

Tim Darnell (@TimDarnellATL) January 14, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Some #Georgia lawmakers hope to revive #gunrights http://t.co/iUXKahB63F @peachpundit #gapol @GAassemblytweet

@shantastik January 14, 2014 at 2:12 pm

GA lawmakers look to strengthen 2nd Amendment Rights.

mountainpass January 14, 2014 at 2:14 pm
mountainpass January 14, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Giving the college presidents the option would be silly as they all sent out letters to the lawmakers last year opposing it.

Doctor Strangelove January 14, 2014 at 2:35 pm

May I take this opportunity to question the intelligence of doing something that 78% of Georgians oppose, per the AJC?

mountainpass January 14, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Good thing they didn’t go by a poll when talking about other civil rights in the past.

seenbetrdayz January 14, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Maybe it was 78 Georgians.

David Staples January 15, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Harry January 14, 2014 at 10:02 pm

People are not informed about the requirements to obtain a carry permit, nor have they considered the scenario where someone starting to illegally shoot up a classroom is checked by a legal permit holder. And anyway, the sample determination of an AJC poll is suspect.

Jackster January 14, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I’m pretty sure it needs to say, “Lawmakers hope lowered expectations correlates to better perception”

Michael Silver January 14, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Nothing says “huge supporter of the Second Amendment” like a leader that empowers the Leftists in academia and churches to throw citizens in jail for wanting the ability to protect themselves.

By the way, I think this is the article that was originally linked:

Notice that its from New Jersey. The Leftists know that if Georgia rejects gun-control in Universities, it will spread to other states.

analogkid January 14, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Is it safe to assume that the bill will allow one to carry at Starbucks also?

seenbetrdayz January 15, 2014 at 8:50 am

Considering the way some folks I know behave about their coffee dessert drink with caffeine and extra sugar on top of sugar with sugar on the side, Starbucks probably falls under the category of ‘place of worship.’ It would be redundant to make a special provision for it.

David Staples January 15, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I believe it is already legal to carry there, as I haven’t seen a sign posted otherwise. I can tell you I know of at least one other person besides myself who has carried in a Starbucks in recent past. (He and I meet at the one at West Paces. I typically get the black iced tea or black tea lemonade.) He’s also a dealer, holds an FFL, and has his primary residence in NC – where he also carries into Starbucks.

analogkid January 20, 2014 at 1:13 am

So, if I’m understanding you correctly, Beth Merkleson is OK to both carry at, and send emails from, Starbucks as is? :)

mountainpass January 20, 2014 at 8:54 am

Wait Beth likes guns? If so she had me fooled.

saltycracker January 15, 2014 at 8:57 am

The rumor is 40 times more people got gun permits in December than signed up for Obamacare.

Dave Bearse January 16, 2014 at 12:31 am

Improve the bill by amending to include carry in the public areas of the State Capitol and Legislative Offices.

mountainpass January 16, 2014 at 9:19 am

When Texas allowed carry in the capitol they created a fast lane which bypassed the metal detector. Just show your carry license and enter. So the media and lobbyists went out and got carry licenses to keep from standing in line.

Dave Bearse January 16, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Why the metal detectors? Or will metal detectors be installed on campus? (I’m showing my age if they already are.)

mountainpass January 16, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Well there are metal detectors at the GA capitol now, not sure how long they have been there. As for campus detectors, it would be cost prohibitive to secure all building on campus with a detector and guard.

Blake January 20, 2014 at 5:24 pm

The issue of concealed carry on campuses is definitely among the most important facing Georgia at this moment. I’m so glad our legislators and Peach Pundit are devoting so much time and attention to this critical issue.

/sarcasm

Comments on this entry are closed.