Lawmakers Hope to Expand Gun Rights

Georgia lawmakers will be reviving an effort to expand gun rights, but will be starting over with new legislation.

That’s according to the AP, who said Senate Majority Whip Cecil Staton and Rep. John Meadows are weighing the possibility of giving college presidents and religious leaders the option of whether to allow guns on public campuses and in places of worship.

Both Staton and Meadows were part of a conference committee last session negotiating a deal on various gun bills.

Both said Monday that no action would be taken on the conference committee bill, and that completely new legislative proposals are now being drafted.

1. mountainpass says:

Giving the college presidents the option would be silly as they all sent out letters to the lawmakers last year opposing it.

2. Doctor Strangelove says:

May I take this opportunity to question the intelligence of doing something that 78% of Georgians oppose, per the AJC?

3. Michael Silver says:

Nothing says “huge supporter of the Second Amendment” like a leader that empowers the Leftists in academia and churches to throw citizens in jail for wanting the ability to protect themselves.

By the way, I think this is the article that was originally linked:

Notice that its from New Jersey. The Leftists know that if Georgia rejects gun-control in Universities, it will spread to other states.

• seenbetrdayz says:

Considering the way some folks I know behave about their coffee dessert drink with caffeine and extra sugar on top of sugar with sugar on the side, Starbucks probably falls under the category of ‘place of worship.’ It would be redundant to make a special provision for it.

• I believe it is already legal to carry there, as I haven’t seen a sign posted otherwise. I can tell you I know of at least one other person besides myself who has carried in a Starbucks in recent past. (He and I meet at the one at West Paces. I typically get the black iced tea or black tea lemonade.) He’s also a dealer, holds an FFL, and has his primary residence in NC – where he also carries into Starbucks.

4. Dave Bearse says:

Improve the bill by amending to include carry in the public areas of the State Capitol and Legislative Offices.

• mountainpass says:

When Texas allowed carry in the capitol they created a fast lane which bypassed the metal detector. Just show your carry license and enter. So the media and lobbyists went out and got carry licenses to keep from standing in line.

• Dave Bearse says:

Why the metal detectors? Or will metal detectors be installed on campus? (I’m showing my age if they already are.)

• mountainpass says:

Well there are metal detectors at the GA capitol now, not sure how long they have been there. As for campus detectors, it would be cost prohibitive to secure all building on campus with a detector and guard.

5. Blake says:

The issue of concealed carry on campuses is definitely among the most important facing Georgia at this moment. I’m so glad our legislators and Peach Pundit are devoting so much time and attention to this critical issue.

/sarcasm