Georgia In Top Five For Economic Growth

January 7, 2014 14:18 pm

by Charlie · 18 comments

How do you tell if you’re doing OK in times of economic uncertainty?  You compare how you are doing against your peers.  And how is Georgia doing in the area of job creation?  We’re number five.

5. GeorgiaIts unemployment rate remains above the national average, but it fell over the last year from 8.7 percent to 7.7 percent. Construction jobs rose 9.5 percent in Georgia as overall job growth rose 2.3 percent, or 91,400 jobs.

The entire country has felt the “recent unpleasantness” of the housing/financial collapse.  But those that decided to grow out of it with a pro-jobs, anti-regulation approach seem to be the ones showing results.  Expect incumbents to make a mention of this.  Maybe two.

peachpundit (@peachpundit) January 7, 2014 at 2:18 pm

New post: Georgia In Top Five For Economic Growth http://t.co/VTPE3BfbSd #gapol

Rich January 7, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I’m skeptical about the 9.5% construction increase. I view that work as seasonal or temporary.

Moreover, in today’s economy, unemployment statistics have dubious merit, as they do not factor the long term unemployed. Anyone not receiving unemployment insurance, which we’ve been recently reminded is temporary, falls off radar.

Then still being above the national average is nothing to pat ourselves on the back over. Be careful what you attribute to Republican governorship when your intent is glorify the leadership.

Rich January 7, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Before being corrected, after reviewing the unemployment statistics gathering process at http://www.bls.gov, realized unemployment benefits are not, in fact, how the unemployed are counted. I was confused because frequently it is said the job growth rate is inaccurate because it does not include those who’ve stopped looking. That is true (and I stand by the assertion that growth rate is a questionable measurement in this economy), however UI benefits are not the factor.

Ellynn January 7, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Construction is not really seasonal. Even today, I know of 3 projects in central Georgia who are working with all trades on site. GC’s nowadays have tight crews and in most cases hire out sub-contractors with equally staffed work forces.

I can tell you the number of large scale non-residental permits are up in many areas of the state. By large I mean over 7 digit budgets and contracted completion dates are over 365 calender days. Large scale single home residental (4000+ SF @ over $200SF) is making a comeback too. Developers are slow in improving, mainly because all the nice government funded tax breaks and local infrastructure is not being offered like it was just 6 years ago. Try getting a municapality to pay for the water and sewer lines extending into your privately held gated subdivision. City councils are not paying for water taps and road work like they once did to get new homes on the tax rolls. Some cities were badly burned by home sites that have been left vacant for over 5 years while millions of dollars of pipes sit under tons of dirt rusting away.

Dave Bearse January 7, 2014 at 8:51 pm

The quotation cited by Charlie mentions unemployment, but the No.5 Charlie cites is job creation. It’s related and affects unemployment, but it’s definitely a different bird.

I think Charlie intended the “Georgia” link in the post was supposed to take you here: http://washingtonexaminer.com/top-10-states-for-new-jobs-fuel-hope-for-economic-growth/article/2541659

2g Strategies (@2gstrategies) January 7, 2014 at 3:38 pm

From @peachpundit Georgia In Top Five For Economic Growth – How do you tell if you’re doing OK in times of ec… http://t.co/6cjRDeZrrR

Harry January 7, 2014 at 4:04 pm

The Deal folks will work this, and they should!

saltycracker January 7, 2014 at 4:39 pm

The lions share of the jobs growth, with a few leaps by circumstantial evidence, seems to be OTP metro Atlanta.

Neptune January 7, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Well, for a serious source of revenue, they can add drug trafficking to the list for South Georgia (Toombs, Treutlen & Montgomery counties). I’m not from this area, but I’ve never seen anything like it. People want to keep their head in the sand and pretend they don’t know anything. You either have to be dumb, stupid or just ignorant to not see what is going on. Connecting the dots has become a favorite past-time.

I’m seriously not trying to humorous with my statistic because this is a terribly serious problem. However, I’m going to make a conservative estimate and say that; at the very least, 50-60% of the revenue in this area is due to drug trafficking.

Down here, black window tint is not a violation, it’s considered a nifty way to design your vehicle. Some vehicles might as well have black curtains. When Aubrey Lee Price is investigated, the Feds will need to dig a lot deeper, a whole lot deeper. The possibilities are truly endless……..

Now I know why we constantly see very high-tech surveillance aircraft flying over these country roads late at night. In a large city, the drugs and crime are not in your face 24/7. In a very small rural area, you’re up against it on a daily basis.

Charlie January 7, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Over here, this is what we call a threadjack.

Progressive Dem January 8, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Georgia ranks 46th in lowest unemployment. When Sonny Purdue took over, Georgia had the 15th lowest unemployment. For these and other measures of before/after GOP policies see Bookman on 1/8
http://www.myajc.com/news/news/opinion/gops-economic-theory-flops-big-time-in-georgia/ncfMG/ Could be a paywall

Neptune January 8, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Mr. Charlie, I am honestly not trying to derail the thread. It is not my intention to “threadjack”, as you say. However, if we’re going to include an economic report, we have to (even though it’s illegal activity and not included in state statistics), include the revenue from drug trafficking. {The rest of this continued threadjack and the multiple links about it have been deleted by “Mr. Charlie”.}

Charlie January 8, 2014 at 3:40 pm

It’s not about your honest efforts. It’s about your accomplishment.

A threadjack is moving a conversation from one topic to one of the commenters choice. It’s clear you don’t want to talk about economic development. You want to talk about the problem with drug trafficking. That’s all well and good on a post that is about that. This one isn’t.

We are a political site with a fairly specialized content mix. You can say that drug trafficking affects econ development. You can say that taxes do. You can say that the adherence to social conservative values do. But then we would have a thread talking about drugs, the fairtax, abortion and gay marriage. That’s what campaigns do when they want to distract you. We’re not going to do that here, and we’re not going to let you do that whether your intentions are good or whether you’re really just deciding that what Peach Pundit needs to be talking about is drug trafficking so you’re going to make every post about that.

We moderate our comments here for a reason, and one of those is so that we can have minimally linear, semi-coherent conversations. If you wish to continue your topic, I suggest you take it to an open thread. (FYI: all Morning Reads are an open thread, every day). If you choose to do this again or continue your argument here, it will be your last visit with us.

Neptune January 8, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Don’t worry, Charlie. I’ll leave on my own.

Blake January 8, 2014 at 5:22 pm

“Note that numbers one and two are oil producing states, and that all of the top five have Republican Governors.”

And all five have a Democratic President.

To be clear, my point is that chief executives of U.S. polities have minimal impact on the economies of their jurisdictions. Yes, everyone thinks they’re responsible for their economies, and so they have to do their song-and-dance about what they’re doing about it, but the reality is otherwise.

“But those that decided to grow out of it with a pro-jobs, anti-regulation approach seem to be the ones showing results.”

Another way to express this is “race to the bottom.”

Charlie January 8, 2014 at 5:38 pm

“All five have a Democratic President”

So do the other 45 below us, genius.

I do like how you try to define success as a “race to the bottom”. It’s one of the reasons why Dems will continue to connect with Georgia voters, so I beg of you to please keep it up.

Neptune January 8, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Charlie, I have not been a regular around here. I’ve read Peach Pundit in the past; but most recently, I had been coming back to read the reports on this blog. I was starting to consider this blog a major source of Georgia news. It’s interesting and opinionated and definitely has its own personality.

I’ve enjoyed reading the articles, statistics, news reports and opinions. Even if I don’t agree, I still enjoy being informed and seeing different sides to a political issue.

However, the way you respond to people does not encourage them to come back. Some of us do have an opinion, even if it’s an opinion that differs from yours. Anytime you open a comments section, you’re not necessarily going to have 50 cheerleaders to show up.

Your name-calling such as “threadjack” or “genius” in a sarcastic tone is not kind nor is it professional. Yes, it’s your blog and yes, you have a right to ban, or banter back and forth. You have a right to call people sarcastic names. However, why would you want to respond in this manner to people who may have some different, unusual or even possibly important input? Your attitude does not encourage more traffic to your blog.

Maybe you have all you want.

Charlie January 8, 2014 at 6:41 pm

You said you would leave on your own.

And if you’ve been around and read the comments as long as you say, you would know what a threadjack is, that we don’t allow it, and that I don’t care what side of an issue you’re on so long as you debate the merits of the issue at hand.

I will now ponder what will happen to all of my advertisers if I don’t change my attitude. This may take a while.

Comments on this entry are closed.