Happy Festivus

festivusWe traditionally recognize Festivus around these parts.  Let the celebration begin with the traditional airing of the grievances.

OPEN THREAD.

1. benevolus says:

It’s confusing to have to constantly shift between the Christian attempts to monopolize this pagan mid-winter festival and the capitalist pressure to BUY BUY BUY.
    No wonder they invented egg nog.

2. Baker says:

A quick airing of grievances (lest I go full-on old man waving fist from front porch) and a recommendation:

1) The Braves move: Name someone involved with this and they screwed up (except for possibly the one guy who got suspended from his job Mr. Utz – I think he did the best he could, except for maybe misreading and not pressing the issue more to Ms. Farooqui). Atlanta Magazine has been very good on this: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/agenda/2013/12/21/city-of-atlanta-and-the-braves-a-doomed-affair

2) Conservatives who I want to support and advocate for focusing on Mandela as a communist and defending Phil Robertson because he’s against gay marriage (Did you happen to see all the other nonsense he said?) See Kirsten Power’s take from Fox News Sunday here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=01hQhUa7RcU#t=210

3) Final grievance: Now that I’m done with the Falcons and the Braves, the Hawks only remain….that’s a bummer. My wish for 2014 is some solution to the Hawks NBA not-good-enough-to-win-in-playoffs-not-bad-enough-to-get-good-draft-pick purgatory.

And the recommendation, for some humor and some policy discussion, check out Rand Paul’s airing of grievances on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SenRandPaul He’s been going at it for most of the day.

• benevolus says:

You know, as part of the Joe Johnson trade, the Hawks get to swap 1st round picks with the Nets this year (and next year too I think) if they want to. The way it’s going for the Nets, we may end up with a lottery pick.

3. CJBear71 says:

1) The absurdity of any remaining vestiges of alcohol “blue” laws in Georgia. If I want to order a drink during Sunday brunch at 11:30 am, for God’s sake let me!

2) The evils of the Eastern Standard Time Zone visited upon sports fans. If you have never experienced the joy of rolling out of bed at 9 am – 10 am Pacific Time to watch football, you are missing out. Sitting around until 1 pm for football is interminable. In the West, most games are over by 4:00 pm and you still have a few hours to get stuff done. Combine with #1 above.

3) Blackout rules in sports. I’m paying $160 for your online NHL GameCenter (GameCentre?) app. Why am I blacked out? And why does the NHL get to claim blackout rights over Atlanta for both the Nashville Predators and Carolina Hurricanes – cities that are 200 & 300 miles away? And don’t even get me started on MLB. If you live in Vegas, MLB has blackouts for Anaheim, LA Dodgers, San Diego Padres, Oakland A’s, San Francisco Giants, and Arizona Diamondbacks.

4) Fantasy League owners who play into Week 17. Are you nuts? You cost me $700 last year.

5) Super Bowl “Sunday”. You take 2 weeks off before the game. Move it to Saturday. I’ve got hangover recovery on Monday that needs to be moved back a day.

6) Speaking of, that Atlanta is not Vegas. No gambling. No 24/7 town. “Last Call”. Sucks.

#Scotchyscotchscotch

• Jon Lester says:

Could be worse; you could be in Washington, DC, where most everything shuts down by midnight, and only a few bars stay open to 1 AM. You might also appreciate Atlanta parking a lot more after some time in DC, too, as I found a couple months ago.

4. analogkid says:

I’ll limit my grievance-airing to one specific to Peach Pundit:

Please, for the love of all things holy, bring back the “new” tags on comments. You brought the stupid edit button back and even added a feature that emails you when people reply to your comments. Either of those had to be more technically complicated than labeling unread comments as new.

Besides, granting my request would be a true Festivus miracle (i.e., easily explainable, but still a good thing).

• analogkid says:

And now that I post a comment, I see that the email option is gone. Point still stands.

Also, I replied to my own comment even though I have time to use the edit button, as a weak form of protest.

5. Dr. Monica Henson says:

I grieve, lament, and protest the lack of decent barbecue in this state, Straw’s in Sparta excepted.

6. PoliticalJoe says:

My grievance is not against PP, but on Atlanta.

I’m steamed that the only affordable sports attraction has left Atlanta. My friends and I could spontaneously decide to attend a Braves game for $15 a ticket half an hour before the first pitch.
    In 2017, most likely that won’t be an option, plus it won’t be an option for the thousands of broke college students and people in general who come after me.

I understand the arguments for moving, but I can’t stand the fact Mayor Reed did not fight to keep that team downtown to round out the city of Atlanta’s sports package. The $60 a ticket Falcons get their way and the Hawks have tickets that are just as expensive (and basketball is boring until the last quarter).

Maybe this is actually a grievance against Kasim Reed. He has definitely trolled Atlanta and Georgia in general starting with his first campaign for mayor when he accepted all that money from the nat’l Democratic Party which to me undermines the law of municipal elections. It continues today culminating in the rhetoric of Atlanta being the hub of the region while simultaneously losing one of Atlanta’s oldest and most beloved sports teams in the south. Everyone in the region loves the Braves and now they are leaving.

#LongPost

7. saltycracker says:

PJ
    It is all very positive. The sport fish are still in the same sea, they are just moving from unfavorable waters to areas with better food and oxygen.

• PoliticalJoe says:

Like I said, I completely understand their reasons for leaving. The neighborhood, the customer base, the vitality of the surrounding business environment, etc. Just sad that the people in city hall could let it happen with only those stupid emails to show for it. The incompetence is astounding.

8. Ed says:

Hooo boy and whoa nellie are you guys in for a treat, betimes it is the time of airing of grievances (namely mine).

9. MattMD says:

Obamacare. I tried to navigate the system to see what it would cost me if I didn’t have insurance. Try $200/mo. with a 6K deductible and I’m in my 30’s. If I was unemployed 6K might as well be 6M.

Mother’s don’t let you kids enter medicine.