Federal Court Places Injunction on Georgia Cellphone Fee

December 17, 2013 16:24 pm

by Eric The Younger · 11 comments

From the Atlanta Business Chronicle:

A federal court issued a preliminary injunction Tuesday prohibiting Georgia utility regulators from charging low-income residents $5 a month for basic cellphones.

The order by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia marked a victory for wireless phone companies that sued the Georgia Public Service Commission following a 3-2 PSC vote in October to levy the monthly charge starting Jan. 31 on participants in the federal Lifeline program.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

peachpundit (@peachpundit) December 17, 2013 at 4:24 pm

New post: Federal Court Places Injunction on Georgia Cellphone Fee http://t.co/bErsVhf6bh #gapol

peachpundit (@peachpundit) December 17, 2013 at 4:24 pm

South Fulton Guy December 17, 2013 at 8:45 pm

the other day I was walking into a Wal-Mart and there was someone in the lobby pitching FREE Obama cell phones. I kept walking as it pissed me off since I pay $77 a month for my service. A $5 fee for service is hardly a burden when someone else is paying for the rest of your service with their tax dollars…

JoshuaPatterson December 18, 2013 at 1:14 am

Please provide a link from a non-partisan article with details on how this program has anything to do with Barack Obama.

Harry December 18, 2013 at 1:30 am

Barack uses those phones to get out the vote. ;)

timechols December 17, 2013 at 8:56 pm

It is unfortunate that the court is stepping in to postpone the fee on these “free” phones. There is so much fraud and abuse associated with this program, and I fully supported Commissioner Everett’s effort to curb these abuses. Hopefully, the court will eventually see it our way.

DavidTC December 18, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Yes, it sure is nice how our _state_ has decided spend the time and money in an attempt to fight waste and fraud in a _Federal program that is not even slightly under its jurisdiction_.

Next up: I don’t approve of the Post Office’s Saturday delivery! Let’s tax that! I’m sure that will work!

Jesus Christ. Why did the _phone company_ have to file this suit? Why wasn’t the Federal government on this?

analogkid December 19, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Read paragraph (e) (2) and get back to me: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/214

_I’ll wait_. (Btw, did you know html tags work on this site?)

analogkid December 17, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Really hope the PSC appeals this decision. It’s a reasonable policy even if one federal judge decided he wants to protect an out of control federal program.

Jon Richards December 18, 2013 at 7:35 am

Interesting that the court order comes about not because those receiving the free phones would have to pay something, but because the wireless phone companies didn’t like the fee. Crony capitalism at work.

griftdrift December 18, 2013 at 11:24 am

Exactly. It ain’t the po’ peeps that are suing.