Emory President is GA’s Highest-Paid Univ. Prez

December 16, 2013 13:45 pm

by Ed · 12 comments

The Chronicle of Higher Education published its index of the country’s highest-paid private university president.

Surprising virtually no one: Emory’s James W. Wagner gets the most bank in Georgia with $1,200,633 in total compensation. That’s 27th for private schools country-wide and tops overall in Georgia.

Edward L. Schraeder Jr. of Brenau was second, taking home $539,154.

While President Wagner needs a lot of piggy banks, he makes a pittance in comparison to Robert J. Zimmer of the University of Chicago. He earns $3,358,723 a year.

peachpundit (@peachpundit) December 16, 2013 at 1:45 pm

New post: Emory President is GA’s Highest-Paid Univ. Prez http://t.co/QsyB3s3XdQ #gapol

penguin December 16, 2013 at 1:55 pm

he does have a lot of scandals to deal with lately. it’s probably pretty stressful.

Ed December 16, 2013 at 2:18 pm

You kiddin’ me? He probably just sits in his ivory tower and wines and dines bigwigs all day. Sometimes the Dalai Lama passes by and he goes: “Hey, how you doin’ Dalai Lama?”

saltycracker December 16, 2013 at 2:25 pm

What is more impressive is their after work package for more years than they were on the “job”.

MattMD December 17, 2013 at 4:11 am

I don’t really see how 1.2M is a pittance compared to 3.4M. It’s less but still substantial.

Ed December 17, 2013 at 7:28 am

Well it is certainly a pittance compared to my salary.

Will Durant December 16, 2013 at 2:11 pm

And Nick Saban is now up to $7 mil per, not including endorsements.

MattMD December 17, 2013 at 4:09 am

Nick Saban has a much more difficult job. College presidents are basically fund raisers. Go look at the executive vice-president structure and tell me what a president really has to do.

I cannot remember the last time Tech’s president had any vision about anything. Compared to Clough, he’s one of the most uninspiring men I’ve ever met in my life.

Lea Thrace December 17, 2013 at 9:34 am

In his defense, no one can really be compared to G. Wayne. That man was/is a giant!

atl_man December 16, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Brenau? Wow …

gaexaminer December 17, 2013 at 12:00 pm

So I go, HEY LAMA, HOW BOUT A LITTLE SOMETHING? You know, for the work?

So he turns to me and says, “Oh you won’t receive any money, but when you die, you will receive total consciousness.”

So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Ed December 17, 2013 at 2:48 pm

A “West Wing” and “Caddyshack” reference in the same thread.

There’s something to be said for accomplishing that.

Comments on this entry are closed.