Greg Morris is Doing the Lord’s Work at the Capitol

December 10, 2013 13:02 pm

by Ed · 31 comments

Now that Tom Watson is gone from the Capitol’s campus, Greg Morris wants to replace him with a monument containing the Ten Commandments.

He makes a compelling argument to do so to Creative Loafing.

“We have the constitutional right to display it. When we, as legislators, swear an oath, we swear it to the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of Georgia. I believe the freedoms we enjoy in those documents are directly derived from the Ten Commandments.”

Can’t argue with that. And really, what document is more deserving of a monument at the seat of our government than the Ten Commandments?

I’m sure this has nothing at all to do with Morris having a primary opponent from the Tea Party.

peachpundit (@peachpundit) December 10, 2013 at 1:02 pm

New post: Greg Morris is Doing the Lord’s Work at the Capitol http://t.co/6tdg0ekBfI #gapol

peachpundit (@peachpundit) December 10, 2013 at 1:02 pm

penguin December 10, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I have a better suggestion. How about a statue for a women? Only 8% of all statues in the country are dedicated to women (and I have no doubt this statistic is grossly lower in the state of Georgia).

Ed December 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm

The First Lady went to the unveiling of a statue for a woman lately and POTUS didn’t even know who she was.

Napoleon December 10, 2013 at 1:34 pm

A statue of Juliette Gordon Low would not be out of place and worthy of her contributions to the nation as a whole, as well as the state.

benevolus December 10, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Apparently the freedoms we enjoy aren’t derived from women.

Will Durant December 10, 2013 at 5:34 pm

But we do have a statue of “Miss Freedom” atop the dome.

Will Durant December 10, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I could go for a statue depicting some Wiccan women dancing nude in celebration of the summer solstice.

ricstewart December 10, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Just as long as it’s not Rebecca Latimer Felton… we’ll be right back where we started with Tom Watson.

Napoleon December 10, 2013 at 1:39 pm

It will never fly. Do you think a majority of the legislature want to be reminded of several of those commandments every day?

Ed December 10, 2013 at 2:15 pm

“Thou shalt not commit adultery? Who does that guy think he is?”

Ed December 10, 2013 at 2:15 pm

“Thou shalt not lie? Yeah. OK, buddy.”

Rick Day December 10, 2013 at 4:51 pm

*blink*

That is not in the 10 commandments as a quoted sentence, Ed. Bearing false witness means don’t slander your own people.

Why is it heathens know more about the alleged actual words of god than the believers?

smh

MattMD December 10, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Wasn’t Westmoreland put on the spot one time and he couldn’t even rattle them off?

Napoleon December 11, 2013 at 10:12 am

Rick Day, depends on how it has een interpreted. Looking at the Law and the Bible in its entirety, there are several passages expanding on the issue of falsehood in general and as it relates to this Commandment. Roman Catholic teaching holds it is a general prohibition against lying and several protestant denominations hold to that as well. There are Hebrew views that this is only applicable in government settings, specifically a court, and is designed to prevent the perversion of justice. Even that narrow view would be applicable to a legislative setting where lying to gain power over the very laws of the land could be seen as a perversion of justice overall.

Wikipedia does a good job breaking down the meaning of the Commandment in the broader text. I recommend it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_shalt_not_bear_false_witness_against_thy_neighbour

Rick Day December 11, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Hah! Then we are all doomed to roast in Hayell

Also, since it was a Hebrew story, a Hebrew Hero (Moses) and the Hebrew God (Yahwe/IAM) I tend to go with the original Jewsource™, and skip the generational embellishments and sequels.

Personal choice, I reckon.

Toxic Avenger December 10, 2013 at 2:24 pm

“Constitutional right.”

Rick Day December 10, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Why, I think that is a fantastic idea! Just look at what diversity such things are bringing to that progressive liberal state Oklahoma!

After all, if you believe in the biblical god you have to believe in the biblical daddy demon

Bring it. I DARE you, Morris.

MattMD December 10, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Sorry, I don’t buy the myth that “the freedoms we enjoy” are derived from the 10 Commandments and I don’t get this worship some conservatives have for them. Only two of them have anything to do with law and those are pretty much universal among civilizations. Don’t steal or murder. I’ll have to look up what the accepted term of “false witness” was back then.

It’s odd how the “Commandments” never get around to rape or incest. Hmmm, what is that?

Anyway, it’s just another political stunt from a member of one of the country’s worst deliberating bodies.

griftdrift December 11, 2013 at 8:46 am

False witness could also refer to breaking a contract but otherwise correct. Kind of tough to dovetail Commandments 1-4 with Amendment 1.

Jon Lester December 11, 2013 at 12:58 pm

And perjury. Adultery only really applies to divorce, which is something the state is better off making as easy as possible.

Ed December 11, 2013 at 9:08 am

I’m just glad my half-hearted attempt at troll bait was successfully swallowed.

griftdrift December 11, 2013 at 9:24 am

Needs more self-righteousness

Rick Day December 11, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I’m just glad my half-hearted attempt at troll bait was successfully swallowed.

Yeah, they busted me on my religious ignorance, so now I’ll act as if it was a joke from the beginning.

FTFY

Ed December 11, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I love you, rick day

Rick Day December 11, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I love you too, Ed. Merry Christmas :)

thablakester December 11, 2013 at 11:08 am

Penguin what about the Statue of Liberty? It isn’t necessarily the volume if statues you have, now is it?

Ed December 11, 2013 at 11:35 am

Yes. The Statue of Liberty. Dedicated to that real woman…oh wait, it’s a metaphor.

penguin December 11, 2013 at 11:47 am

The Statue of Liberty wasn’t even made by Americans. I’m sure there were plenty of people at the time, who were like…um Frenchies, couldn’t you give us a male liberty statue?
No. There are lots of statues of women that symbolize ideals rather than actual people (also Contemplation of Justice outside SCOTUS). Lots of misogynistic undertones can be read into that too. Ideals or things that are “pretty” and abstract are represented by women is the most obvious. But as far as individual women making contributions…

Rick Day December 11, 2013 at 2:29 pm

That’s because before men took over and screwed everything up, women ran government.

then came the church and the suppression of women in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

Just sayin’…..

Jon Lester December 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm

He does know that only a few of those commandments are enforced by secular law, doesn’t he?

Comments on this entry are closed.