Morning Reads for Friday, November 22, 2013

Where were you on this day fifty years ago?
Memorials around the country.
– A personal remembrance by Cal Thomas.
Dallas policeman speaks about the day.
Gov. Carl Sanders threatened due to close ties with JFK.
– A timeline at the Dallas Morning News.

Here:
– Barr/Pridemore cage match.
– Just in time for the new Braves complex…ATL conveniently gets $275 million in highway bucks.
– Former Laker Michael Cooper to coach The Dream.
– Cobb School Board nixes bonus idea. Furlough days still around.

There:
PB&J’s are racist. Who knew?
– No Christmas carols for you…even if they’re played by the band.
– Another 911 call smells like phony baloney.
– Uh. That’s not why you were elected, sweetie.
– In a parallel universe, the other guy wins.
Big day for the DOW.

Random Everywhere:
– Pilot lands a jumbo on a little runway at the wrong airport. Skillz.
– Life in a galaxy far, far away.
NorK’s nab an 85 year old tourist.
– So that’s what they do during their breaks.
Classy.

1. saltycracker says:

Seattle: Property rights, physical and intellectual are the cornerstones of economic progress. A political assault on Boeing will cause them to seek a fast return on their investments in Washington state ( more money) or relocate.

2. Noway says:

Expect the Socialist Seattle councilwoman to be offered a job with the the Obama administration forthwith…”Birds of a Feather”

3. Napoleon says:

Where was I 50 years ago today? No where, and wouldn’t be for another 12 years.

Also died this day 50 years ago; Sci fi author Aldous Huxley who wrote “A Brave New World,” and “Chronicles of Narnia” author C.S. Lewis.

4. xdog says:

OK, I figure I’m one of the few here old enough to remember so I’ll share.

Fifty years ago I was in high school. Our principal came on the intercom at the end of the first class period after lunch to announce the president had been shot and killed. I walked to my next class which was an amalgam of government, politics, current affairs and BS. Kind of like this place. As usual my teacher was leaning against the door jamb with a smirk on her face greeting students as they entered. As I passed and said hello, she replied ‘They shot the wrong one.’ Bobby was a better target in her view.

To say those were different times is a truism. Kennedy in 1960 received a higher percentage of votes in Georgia than he did in his home state. He carried South Carolina and lost California. Unpledged dem electors in Alabama and Mississippi, despite Kennedy’s majority, ended up voting for Byrd/Thurmond. The country was torn as it continued to face the consequences of three centuries of institutionalized electoral, judicial, educational, and economic abuse of black people. We didn’t know it then but the business of sorting out our country’s racial conflicts was to get much worse, much more dangerous.

Mrs B. was an OK teacher and an interesting person. She liked to ride around the pine thickets and shoot at rattlesnakes. She knew a lot about Creek Indians. She owned a small plot in Alabama so she ‘could vote where it will count’. She remains for me an example of how fear and ignorance and goddam cultural inertia can overwhelm reason.

5. Rick Day says:

I was in the 3rd grade in Mesquite, the suburb city east of Dallas. We got the announcement after returning from lunch/recess to a very weepy teacher. Knowing that POTUS was in town already, this hit harder than the average school outside Dallas.

We went home as a group, speculating what we kids would do to whoever killed much malice and violence (“Army” was the fun game to play at this time). We sat at home on the first day like so many, glued to the radio where men like my Uncle Sam Pate were reporting live on the scene. (He is the guy you so often hear “Something is wrong, something is terribly wrong here!”). TV had not caught up by then, but soon to catch on how important it was to do a live telecast. They would never again let radio news trump TV coverage after JFK.

The other two days we just watched TV non stop. I’ll never forget those times. Ever.

6. Noway says:

Dang, Ellynn, you mean the PS has figured out that we semi-old white guys gotta use their service ’cause there is no other real game in town!! Man, that is just plain cold of them!! I’ve just been taken for granite!!! LOL! Lemme slink off with my tail between my legs!!

7. Ellynn says:

I was born after the assassinations of both Kennedy brothers, but their death was a part of my childhood.

My grandmother was your stereotypical North Ireland born fighting Catholic, accent and all. She was raised in America since the age of 3, was pro Democrat, pro Union, a social justice, “Mathew 25” needle point sampler making, irvory skin, black-haired, blue-eyed example of whatever Hollywood movie needed in a short feisty Irish grandma. In the hall outside her sewing room was a beautiful Irish porcelain crucifix, the framed picture of Jesus every Catholic family I knew had hanging in their house to the left, and to the right in a matching frame, a picture of JFK with a rosary hung off the corner my father said she used while she watched his funeral procession from her the wing chair in the TV room. Below the crucifix was a picture of “Jack and Bobby” as she called it, that was taken on the lawn of the Whitehouse. My grandmother would use phrases like “our Jack”, and “when we held the office” when she talked about Kennedy.

My family lived outside Ripon, Wisconsin – the birth place of the Republican Party. They only year the county has voted democratic for a President was 1960. My German-American, Catholic ,card carrying Republican grandparents and mother voted for Kennedy. My half Russian half German American, Catholic, Republican, grandfather voted for him too (most likely because he was afraid what his hot headed Irish wife would do if he didn’t). Long before I knew what a political party was, I could repeat my grandmother’s words….”John F. Kennedy, may he rest in peace, was our President. He was one of us.”

My grandmother is still alive, almost 100 and in the late stages of Dementia. She does not know the names of her children or grandchildren. She don’t talk sometimes for weeks and hasn’t been to church in 4 years. Yet the day last spring when the nursing home staff started to remove the rosary from the corner of the JFK frame to dust down the shrine of ‘Jesus, Jack and Bobby’ that has followed her to every place she has lived, the nurse said you could hear her Irish accented scream down the hall of “Don’t touch our Jack”.

8. MattMD says:

Kudos to Nordstrom, I will make every effort to avoid any retail place that makes their employees work on Thanksgiving.

Maybe Maher was on to something, are we going to let the holidays exist just for the rich?