Morning Reads–Sorry About Last Week

We should all thank “Stefan” for attempting to be the next me. He did an admirable job. Alas, but one me remains.

Buck Owens reached deep into his emotional suitcase and lyrical creativity to pen “Made in Japan.”

1. saltycracker says:

Still picking through Stefan’s stuff, regretting jellyfish and the 6 degrees of separation between Wal-Mart the community crusher and Wal-Mart the solar champion. Will get to Ed, for sure, Thursday.

• saltycracker says:

The Franciscan mission story caught my eye. Comparing them to Peace Corps activities ridiculously detracts from their historical significance. The author attempts to rewrite history.

• saltycracker says:

Same story:

IMO – Excellent:

“This (St. Catherines) is one of the most important Spanish colonial sites in the U.S. It needs to be preserved. Our position is that it goes far beyond St. Catherines. It’s a Georgia thing, and a U.S. thing and I think a Catholic Church thing—something needs to be done,” said Thomas.”

IMO – Thomas fantasy:

He has come to think of the Franciscan missionaries at St. Catherines as 16th-century “Peace Corps members.”

Instead of forcing religion on the American Indians, the Franciscans brokered an agreement with them that kept the Indians’ way of life while incorporating the teachings of Christianity.

IMO – Closer to learned reality:

“Spanish missions were explicitly established for the purpose of religious conversion and instruction in the Catholic faith. However, the mission system actually served as the primary means of integrating Indians into the political and economic structure of Florida’s colonial system. “……..they also acted as agents for the Spanish…..also see repartimento (system for cheap labor)……

The Indians kicked each others butt, the Spanish kicked the Indian’s butt, the English kicked both Indian and Spanish butts, the American Patriots kicked the Indian, Spanish and English butts and the winners are………the Seminoles who are kicking everyone’s butts today…..Go ‘Noles.

2. greencracker says:

I object to the NYT’s characterization of Tom Watson as a “journalist.” I’m calling the ACLU as we speak.

I also object to them characterizing the statue move as some “chapter” in a “history.” Of all the people who protest/speak/stroll under the Watson statue, what percent know who the he77 he is?! One? Two?

Now … how about the bronze Talmadge in the yard?

• Ed says:

Yeah it is an interesting story but there’s not much to say about it unless you create some sort of fake “moment” about it and try to portray White Southerners as one breath away from returning to the Jim Crow era.

• Raleigh says:

If the Governor is going to move Watson’s statue he should also move Herman’s statue. Anyway Herman’s statue isn’t correct. It’s missing the overcoat stuffed with 100 dollar bills. Now just where did they put that official state seal……

• Napoleon says:

I have an interesting story about Herman and overcoats (and why there were always lots of extra overcoats kept in his DC office) one of his old senate staffers told me years ago, but I’m not putting it in print just yet. 🙂

• PoliticalJoe says:

Do you know what caused Watson to change his beliefs on race relations? From what I’ve read he used to be an advocate for poor rural minorities and then it seems he completed shifted. Personal reason or was he only following a trend?

• greencracker says:

From what I’ve read … and I researched the man for an article once … it’s thought maybe he just went mentally ill. His last Congressional election before going crazy was outright stolen from him — way, way more ballots than residents in Richmond County, that sort of thing. His Populist Party was splitting the white vote, which the Democrats didn’t dig, so they voted against him early and often. After that loss, he kind of retreated from public for a couple of years. He had been prone to depression, maybe he was bipolar.

Another theory is that in order to get back into power, he decided to out-hate the haters, throw black/Jewish/Catholic Georgians way, way, way under the bus in order to attract the much larger white supremacist vote. And hating became, like, the only plank in his platform.

I tend to believe the “crazy” theory b/c he didn’t run for office much after reappearing — he just stayed at home writing his crazy papers. I don’t know why he was such a kingmaker … I’ve heard him called the spiritual father of the Klan. Maybe he controlled the Klan vote.

I find him kind of fascinating b/c until I happened to pick up an old bio of him at a used bookshop, I had no idea Georgia _ever_ produced a socialist politician.

• Ed says:

Well 2/3 of the links were circulated via the Pope’s mouthpiece in Atlanta. As a practicing Papist I was obliged to post them (he tells me what to do).

Anyway, I will rectify my error and be sure to not post anything about the Coastal Empire ever again.

• Ellynn says:

I’m just impressed you know of places outside the greater Atlanta metro area exist.

Did you miss my link to St. Catherine’s Island? I’m a full fledge member of the local Papist choir. We share a Pope…

• Ed says:

It is so inconsistent. I mean, the second season was literally, nothing more than a soap opera set to “Farmville.” Thankfully, Shane died which meant *something* happened. (And really, a ring of mud is what protected the farm? Ugh.). There is literally nothing else that happened in Season 2. No characters were developed, no true plot was progressed, no commentary was made, nothing.

And you get to SE3, its really unclear what the purpose of it is (have’t finished it yet, so YMMV). But there are some really brilliant flashes of many different things but the show seems to have a bad habit of routinely falling back on the crutches its used to not really advance a story at all. The more you watch the more it seems like the writers are just a bit too ambitious, I guess.

• Stefan says:

Truthfully, I lost interest when they left Atlanta – lost some relevancy I guess. My neighborhood is obsessed with that show, however.