Morning Reads — Thursday, October 3, 2013

On this day in 1917, the War Revenue Act was passed, raising taxes across the board as a result of the US involvement in World War I.
Peaches

Jimmy Carter

Sweet Tea

Liberty Drum

1. saltycracker says:

Energy sales tax holiday: great idea for the masses of impulse buyers for toilets and hot water heaters.

2. Ed says:

Jessica is a big HuffPo fan: fact.
    “It’s a really bad time to go missing in a national park.” I lol-ed.

3. Monica says:

Mad about the energy products eligible for no sales tax don’t include space heaters. That’s the one thing that most people would be interested in buying right now. They always try to make these sales tax holidays as inconvenient as possible. The school supplies holiday was two weeks after school started – come on now…

Nothing new about the renting thing though. The city or county or even neighborhood associations can dictate to you how many adults you can have living in the house. I saw a situation play out where there were too many cars being parked around one house in a single family home community. There were a bunch of post-college guys living there, next to families with kids, pets, and all that jazz. The neighbors went to the city (of Smyrna), there was a case in court, and the guys had to move out and the owner sold (or lost) the house. And I believe there is some law where you can’t have someone living in your basement unless it’s up to some codes – has a window of a certain size, something..

• NoTeabagging says:

If the item has an Energy Star or Water Sense label it should be included in the tax holiday. Ask for the store manager if you get “resistance”.

• “The city or county or even neighborhood associations can dictate to you how many adults you can have living in the house.”

Just because the government “can” do something, doesn’t mean that they “should”.

“There were a bunch of post-college guys living there, next to families with kids, pets, and all that jazz.”

Seriously? Next thing you know there’s going to be an elderly couple moving in down the street next to all those families with kids, pets, and all that jazz. In fact, I heard a couple was considering moving in down that street that refused to have kids and pets. They must be stopped at all costs. 😉

There are already existing noise ordinances to take care of any partying and I’m sure that there’s probably something in there about parking on the street long term. So long as they’re minding their own business, I don’t see what business it is of the county as to how many unrelated adults live there.

• Jon Lester says:

We’ve had the two-unrelated-roommate ordinance in place in Athens for most of the last 20 years, and the ACLU has been no help at all. I guess they’d rather blow their cred and member dues suing local governments over nativity scenes and such than actually confront a real constitutional issue.

• MattMD says:

I read the article, it’s typical that Cobb would pass something like this since it’s original
      intent was to target Mexicans. Color me surprised.

I agree with the idea that existing quality of life ordinances should be applied and not sledgehammer like ordinances which restrict the number of unrelated adults living in a dwelling. I know Athens-Clarke has several neighborhoods which do this. Is the Cobb ordinance county-wide? I also have lived in Candler Park in DeKalb and they don’t have these ordinances. Of course that neighborhood isn’t occupied by a bunch of reactionaries who are hell-bent on some Twilight Zone-esq neighborhood protection. It’s sad how inconsistent people are with respect to freedom.

I just got a house in Smyrna because I was tired of getting raped by apartment complexes. The mortgage to my house is what I paid for a one bedroom in Midtown and the house will be paid off a little over a decade. I cannot stand apartment complexes and the miscellaneous fees they use to take advantage of people. It’s not really a free market if a large segment of the population is corralled by statute into one particular living situation.

4. greencracker says:

I’m not surprised about the space heaters — one winter month I thought I was smart & turned down my heat but ran a space heater in the living room.

Let me just say, #fail! That little space heater gulped energy! It’s been in a (warm) storage closet since then.

• Harry says:

One of the supply sergeants I knew in the army who had to sit in a cold warehouse in Germany, had a big space heater blasting hot air up under his desk. No telling how much that cost the US and German taxpayers!

5. Scott65 says:

Hurricane watch from LA/MS border to W FL Panhandle. A possible hurricane hit in this area sometime Saturday. Lets hope Karen does not hit hard if FEMA is shut down. Weather will be no cake walk here either

6. Ellynn says:

I’m ready for new refrig. This tax holiday is going to say me $38. I’m getting an Extra 15% of the already sales price PLUS Georgia Power is giving me a $50 rebate.

Technically, I already have one, so I am buying something I don’t really need. It just that… well.. my current refrig is 22 years old… and it’s starting to make strange noises when it kicks in… so this is can be looked at as a justifed shopping spree.. right?

• saltycracker says:

Same recent experience. But my decision was driven by special deals from the retailer that resulted in saving hundreds. It’s only a computer tap to reduce real specials & increase advertising when folks are driven by legislators who have no capabilities in the retail market.

• saltycracker says:

I was more impressed that at $38 ( 6%) ST the fridge is only $633. That’s Clark Howard frugal.