Morning Reads for Friday the Thirteenth, September 13, 2013

friday13“Paraskevidekatriaphobia” or “Friggatriskaidekaphobia”

Either will work for your fear of Friday the Thirteenth.

Here:
– Quick! What’s Alpharetta known for besides traffic?
– Is it really any of their business where the police chief goes on his own dime?
Georgia Economic News for September.
Savannah River Remediation laid off 465 employees yesterday. For those that don’t follow such things, that’s less employees to manage the company’s radioactive waste programs. Next to a river. That empties into the Atlantic. I like shrimp, but I don’t want them to be as big as my car.

There:
– It helps to have friends in high places.
Lois’ emails tell the tale we all knew already.
– Fed up? You betcha.
Polio virus discovered near Jerusalem.
– Trust, but verify … and speak into that microphone in the lamp, will ya?
Seaside Park Boardwalk, NJ is burning. The pier just reopened over Memorial Day after rebuilding from the destruction of Superstorm Sandy.
– Prayers for Colorado and flood victims. We remember the GA 2009 flood.

Random Everywhere:
– Is it just me, or does this thing look like the belly of the Nostromo after Mama Alien redecorated?
– A Night at the Museum.
Evil 13, Good 11.

Don’t forget! The PeachPundit BBQ Tour barrels into Danielsville tomorrow afternoon. Come hear Rep. Doug Collins at Zeb’s BBQ from 4:30 – 6:00 p.m. and have (according to some) a taste of the best stew in the state. If there are peas in the stew, we’ll have to debate.

1. Rambler14 says:

An $8 pricetag greeted commuters driving the entire 16 miles on Interstate 85’s high-occupancy toll lane this week. The tally, which topped a previous high of $7 earlier this summer, had some drivers gnawing on their steering wheels.

Deal said only 10 percent of commuters pay the full amount of the toll and another 13 percent are carpoolers who ride for free. The average toll, he said, hovers around $1.50.

“The reality is we don’t have the finances at the state level and most people aren’t in the mood to see tax increases that would generate revenue to do that. Some would argue that the TSPLOST would have been the way to do that,” he said, invoking the one-percent transportation sales tax that failed in most parts of the state.

• Harry says:

I’d just like to once more make the observation that I-85 was already paid with taxpayer dollars, and now commuters are forced to once again pay for the same road or sit in traffic. It’s discriminatory against people in that corridor. And trust me, the masters are itching to toll I-75, I-20, 400 etc. as well.

• Charlie says:

The ignorance displayed in the continued refrain that “the roads were already paid for” generally says that someone doesn’t understand how much it costs to maintain these roads that have already been built, or more importantly, how much of the current GDOT budget is now required just to cover this maintenance for these roads that “have already been paid for”.

• Harry says:

It’s not a level playing field when taxpayers in one corridor are forced to do this, and the other corridors are not. And, who you calling ignorant? The road has already been paid for. Maintenance is another matter.

• Ellynn says:

Where do you think the money for maintenance should comes from? The geneal tax fund? Are you willing to raise the state income taxe to pay the maintenance? Which of course could lead some to ask why should their taxes pay for a road they don’t use…

• mpierce says:

Have toll revenues covered the operations and maintenance costs of the toll system? Much less construction costs? I don’t think there is anything left to cover road maintenance.

• Charlie says:

SRTA was very clear at the beginning that the goal of the tolls wasn’t to raise money. The tolls were scheduled to be “revenue neutral”.

Because what is lost on the good people of Gwinnett who continue to rail against “regionalism” while they demand I-85 we widened so that they can get to DeKalb and Fulton faster is that they’ve zoned the county to the point that the interstate can’t handle the load, and it is a highway built largely with federal and state funds. The rest of us need to be able to get thru there from time to time while the rest of you piss and moan about the gridlock you created but expect someone else to continue to build you infrastructure to get you out of.

• Harry says:

You live in Cobb? If the shoe was on the other foot and the toll was on I-75 I’d still be taking your side, talking about the unfairness of being the only sector in the area being forced to pay a toll on a road already built with taxpayer money.

• gcp says:

As long as we have toll roads we will have SRTA, or maybe it’s the other way, as long as we have SRTA we will have toll roads.

• saltycracker says:

Impact fees for new development along these corridors could off set a lot of the capital costs for transportation needs wouldn’t they ? But don’t hold your breathe as there is money to be made if the costs are more widely disbursed or borrowed.

• Napoleon says:

Harry has a good point there Charlie. The greatest cost for a stretch of road is building it. You have to condemn the land, remove structures and vegetation, level the base, then construct the actual road. I can’t think of one single major purchase that doesn’t have maintenance costs. My car is paid for, but I still have to put gas in it, change the oil, give it tune ups, new tires, etc. That comes out of my budget. Plus, you can have maintenance costs on something that isn’t “paid for.” My house isn’t “paid for” as I still have a mortgage, but I still have maintenance costs.

Harry is right, unless there are bonds still outstanding, in saying the road is “paid for.” Maintenance is a separate issue as all things that we use over an extended period and deteriorate over time will have maintenance costs.

Doesn’t mean it’s a relevant point to the argument as I would say the cost is based on the “improvements” to the already paid for road.

2. KingRichard says:

I have always thought of toll roads that never go away but were once promised to go away, as well as this 85 high-occupancy toll lane is just another way We the People get robbed of our hard earned cash, how much more do they need? When do they ever say we have enough of your money?

The cash from these things always seem to end up stolen, miss used, lost, used for other purposes other than what was intended, etc ad al nasuea…never ending…