Morning Reads for Friday, August 23, 2013

Here:
– Another candidate lines up on the Democrat side for Senate seat. This one’s a former Army Ranger. Hooah!
– State Senator Bill Heath (R-Bremen) recognized by American Conservative Union.
Rep. Tom Price on his alternative to the ACA.
– Yes, it has rained a lot. A record-breaking lot.
– If you attended the PP BBQ tour this week, you might remember some fuss about flyers. Jason Pye sets the record straight (not that the flyer folks will even read it).
– Local geek makes it to Fox News. Enjoy your 15 minutes, sport.

There:
#BoehnerBlinks. Palace intrigue.
– Next time the Bravos go to NY, they should take the SWAT team with them.
– It’s all fun and games until someone invokes Godwin’s Law.
– A lesson on class (not what you think.)
– It’s hard to stay number one.
– Nice Voter ID law you have there, Texas. Shame if anything happened to it.

Random Everywhere:
– Pllleeease tell me this is The Onion.
Christina Hendricks to play stripper… at least I have my son’s attention now.
– How many times do we have to tell you? Don’t text and drive!
What not to wear.

1. Jon Lester says:

I welcome new pressure on Georgia Democrats to have a real primary, including debates, rather than simply rubber-stamping a legacy candidate without even acknowledging that any competition exists. It would be the “democratic” thing to do.

I have no defense for casting Ben Affleck as Batman.

2. Dave Bearse says:

I think Canada the second best country in the world after the US, so I don’t think Tea Party luminary Ted Cruz is very bright to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

A 43 year old man born in Canada that hadn’t ever bothered to even learn about his citizenship is a dullard.

• Jon Lester says:

Dual citizenship is something only a fool would renounce. One of the most attractive considerations for marrying a foreign woman is knowing that the children will belong to two countries.

3. Ed says:

IIRC they aren’t so much re-booting the Batman series but creating a new one with Batman/Superman movie.

Also, I’m sure there was much teeth-gnashing over Christian Bale’s casting in 2003. But the most important thing to remember with Batman is that he isn’t just Batman. He’s every bit Bruce Wayne. That means you can’t just be a fit for one role, you have to be able to play two characters. I say this as a straight guy… dude is *ripped*. There is a lot of potential for him with this film and anyone who straight up dismisses him is making a reactionary ill-conceived judgement.

• Looks like it was an error. He was attending the Cobb County Womens Republican Club meeting, but wasn’t the speaker. I swung by for a few minutes to talk to a few people, but decided not to pay the $29 (which included lunch) when I’d just eaten not that long ago. Did talk with David Pennington and Paul Broun both briefly while I was there though.

4. Patrick Mayer says:

We had our own Godwin’s Law moment here in Cobb County this week.

Someone told me he might be an aide to a local State Representative? Classy.

5. MattMD says:

I never got the issue with photo-ID’s and voting, what problem was this intended to solve?

I’m sure this had nothing to do with Real-ID and how relatively harder the two acts would make voting on poorer people and the elderly.

Naw, that had to be a coincidence.

• Dave Bearse says:

That should be “intended to shave?” Answer: Democratic turnout.

Colin Powell recently spoke in NC on NC new restrictions saying “You can say what you like, but there is no voter fraud. How can it be widespread and undetected?”

It takes more effort to register to vote than to foreclose on a Georgia home. Fraud was widespread and detected, but there’s no effort underway in Georgia that I’m aware of to require banks to provide proper documentation.

Shows you where GOP priorities are.