Morning Reads for Tuesday, August 20th, 2013

Happy Estonian Independence Day! Today in history, Soviet Tanks crush the Prague Spring, Today in the present are your Morning Reads, after the jump:

National:

• Why basic 3D printers are crazy cheap (arstechnica)
  • When it comes to political liars, are the media asleep? (Yahoo)
  • Ralph Lauren’s amazing car collection (msn)
  • My garage is too small, upon reflection
  • Have more sex, make more money (MarketWatch)
  • Have fun discussing this calmly with your honey.
  • Goodbye, Miami: South Florida will soon be under water (Rolling Stone)
  • Fine by me, they can all become yachters.
  • What happens when four guys try to cross the Atlantic…in a rowboat (SportsNet)
  • How Big Pharma Keeps Meth Cooks Afloat (MoJo)
  • Recognizing the statistically unlikely is uncommonly hard (nautilus)
  • Athletes Get Great by more than just punching a time card(Outside)
  • The Art of the Phony: Forgery & Modern Art (New York Review of Books)
  • Here are some guys who put the horse before the cart (Technology Review)

Georgia:

• McKinney says Georgia’s blacks are “milquetoast” (Crossover)
  • They avoid trees with their roads down on the coast (SMN)
  • To hell with oysters, we like our boats the most (GTimes)
  • Tom Price ate BBQ last night, and America he diagnosed (PeachPundit)
  • State rep prefers grandstanding to reality (AJC)
  • In Congressional delegation, Baptists have a plurality (Buzzfeed)
  • Staton and Caldwell have in mind a new route,
  • and you must click through to see Cecil’s suit (ThomastonTimes)
  • Did you know there’s a Hall of Fame for Georgia’s best tillage? (RandB)
  • Macon council decides not to pillage with millage (MaconTelegraph)

1. Noway says:

“Obama administration asks Supreme Court to allow warrantless cellphone searches.”
    Are you all ok with this?

• Stefan says:

Here’s a link to what you are talking about. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/08/19/obama-administration-asks-supreme-court-to-allow-warrantless-cellphone-searches/

In that case, while detained, a suspect received phone calls from his own home – a search of the phone revealed the home address which they then searched. I haven’t read the lower decisions, but I assume they had a warrant for the search of the house (in which they turned up drugs or counterfeit OneDirection t-shirts or something.)

The problem is this case has a lot of factors that are good for the government. He was the subject of an investigation already, they could decide this was a hot on the trail circumstance, the information used for prosecution was not directly from the phone, but at least one step removed – all of which militate toward a safe search result. A result allowing phones to be searched however, would expose those searched to way more intrusion than this guy with his pay-as-you-go flip phone actually experienced. We’d be making a rule based on the least intrusive search that would allow much more intrusion -given that phones now contain much more information and life access now than they did in this case.

However, I’d bet that SCOTUS finds the search violative, but let this be a lesson to all of you – protect your phone with a password or passcode. Make it a locked trunk, if you will.

2. Noway says:

Oh and those two Russian hotties who kisssed after receiving their gold medals? For some reason, I’m completely ok with that!!

• KingRichard says:

Even if it was your Mom, Sister, or Daughter? I would not be as proud if that was my daughter.

Sick and tired of sexualty defining us. Who cares, what do we learn from this?

• Stefan says:

Clearly you didn’t click the link to see his suit. If you had, that would have been the subject of your comment. Perhaps that’s the traditional garb of the winners of the ACU Award, whose tag line, by the way, means almost nothing:

“The American Conservative Union represents the views of Americans who are concerned with economic growth through lower taxes and reduced government spending and the issues of liberty, personal responsibility, traditional values and national security.”

The only thing they clearly stand against is the Oxford comma.

And lastly, Senator Staton represents Peach County, one of only [edit: a number of] counties named for non-people in Georgia. Name [edit: one of] the other such count[ies].

3. Napoleon says:

Answering your other question about 4 guys in a row boat? How about a lifetime of not being able to get the song, “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” out of your head.

• It was definitely worth the read. On another note, you’re going to need to work on the quality of the articles you post. I find myself spending way too much time reading on Tuesday mornings. If you could just post a few more worthless articles instead of these, I could perhaps actually spend my time on other things. 🙂

BTW, the Rolling Stone article was an interesting read as well.

• You do know I work in IT, right? I don’t do anything with horse manure until after I’m out of the office. (And typically I’m shoveling the well composted stuff, as I do stuff in the gardens. My wife, the horse person, is the one shoveling the fresh stuff to take out to the compost pile. 🙂 )

• Stefan says:

That’s good to know. Was just discussing these posts last night with some people at the BBQ. They were of the opinion that nobody clicked on the links. Soul crushing to say the least.

• Ed says:

The only time I will not click on a link (if the story interests me) is when someone makes a big claim and only links to some partisan outlet. The claim is, about 90% of the time, utter bull**** or intentionally misleading.

• Stefan says:

I know, right? Problem is, for instance, that the meth piece above needs to be read, but many people won’t read it because it comes from Mother Jones. Maybe I’ll do a small separate post on it and relate it to Georgia or something.

• analogkid says:

Like David, I generally kill way too much time reading Stefan’s articles, but if you only read one article in this lot, read the meth one.

• saltycracker says:

Stefan ´s posts raise the thought level – the meth post reminds of the connection between Baptists and bootleggers. Interesting point:

“The single exception was Mississippi, where a prescription measure supported by Republican Gov. Haley Barbour passed in 2010. The head of the state Bureau of Narcotics, Marshall Fisher, says one key to the bill’s passage was making sure it was not referred to the Legislature’s health committee, where members tend to develop close relationships with pharma lobbyists. ”

Still of the opinion that drugs are a health and welfare issue but moving more pharmaceuticals behind the counter would reduce abuse and cut related crime.

• Ellynn says:

I click the links, if my IT overloard lets me get to it, otherwise I read them at home later in the evening.

4. Jackster says:

When it comes to political liars, are the media asleep?

I think it depends on how you define asleep.

There’s playing possum, which isn’t necessarily asleep, but you could lose your credibility when you claim you need a nap. However, this is not an intent to deceive, as you really did need to do it in a place where you can eavesdrop.

There’s resting your eyes, which is the “technically true” standard of asleep. While you may not be unconscious, you are trying to enjoy not talking politics, nor keeping up with the witty pun banter, which Stefan has pushed to quadrivium level.

And then of course there’s going to go “lay down” next to someone in the same bed. If recanted to others, this may be viewed upon as having bad information, and in fact, would not be “between the sheets”.

Of course, the media might just be in bed with their sources, but not asleep.

5. Three Jack says:

ajc.com headliness in order as posted a little after noon:

Sneiderman sentence: 5 years (for lying about murder of her husband)
    Cops: 3 ‘bored’ teens shoot baseball player to death
    Woman paralyzed in Buckhead bar assault
    Woman shot by police during traffic stop
    Man reported shot during botched Craigslist deal
    Best-selling author Elmore Leonard dies at 87….and,

Obamas get another pooch to go with Bo

Score: 2 murders, 2 shootings, 1 serious assault, 1 passing and 1 new pooch for the oblivious president.

• xdog says:

I’m gonna miss Elmore. Although his last few books weren’t up to his standards in terms of dialogue or teasing out a plot, he still had his fastball. You never wanted to dig in against him.

6. Ellynn says:

The Chatham County tree in question is a 400+ year old Live Oak. The tree has earned road avoidence…

7. Harry says:

Christie is wrong on the gay therapy issue. Some homosexuals may indeed have a “gay” gene but with some it is learned behavior that can be corrected with therapy. I believe this, based on my a posteriori experience dealing with some such people. Some homosexuals are “persuaded” to act straight, and some straight people are “persuaded” to act homosexual.