Barnes Likes Stoner

Governor Roy Barnes has endorsed Doug Stoner for DPG chair.

In an email sent out today, Gov. Barnes says Stoner is a “fighter” who is “not afraid of a challenge.”

Stoner has also been the subject on an anonymous text campaign that says he voted in the GOP primary eight times between 1988 and 2000 (I’ve heard people say that’s categorically false). A second text a few weeks later was a pushpoll asking who people would vote for.
Talks I’ve had with the voting State Committee members paints a muddy picture with a lack of enthusiasm for any of the candidates. Maybe this will change things.

• bkeahl says:

Here are the Republican Primaries he voted in (courtesy PoliticalDataSystems.com):

Date Type Party
      07/18/2000 General Primary R
      03/05/1996 Presidential Primary R
      08/09/1994 General Primary Runoff R
      07/19/1994 General Primary R
      08/11/1992 General Primary Runoff R

• Dave Bearse says:

I appreciate the info.

It says much more about the supporters of Stoner’s opponents than it does Stoner in their seeking to make an issue of Stoner voting in GOP Primaries, including presumably Cobb County primaries, over a dozen years ago.

• George Chidi says:

You know … I don’t care. I’m a progressive Democrat, and I’ve probably voted in Republican primaries at least once, for strategic purposes. I’ve also voted for Republican candidates — I make a point of voting for one every cycle, usually downticket, as a principle in exercising actual political discretion. I’d be concerned if he were voting Republican after 2000, though.

• Dave Bearse says:

Gosh, as a DeKalb resident voting for Georgia Republicans is tough to do. I regret my vote for Tim “Shakedown and Junket” Echols in 2010.

1. Spacey G says:

I assume Dubose Porter’s statewide name recognition and reputation would be best for the party… that no one seems all that interested in going to regardless.

They could give away a puppy or have a Facebook contest?

Just throwing stuff out here.

2. Jane says:

In 1994, did he support John Knox or Guy Miner? Both pro-life conservatives who opposed changes to the state flag.

• Much more likely that he supported some long forgotten county commission candidate or state legislative candidate. Zell didn’t have serious opposition that year, but I’m sure there were some local races of import.

3. Jon Lester says:

I like that Georgia is an open primary state, and I hope that never changes. Having to register party affiliation just seems like a stupid idea to me, and one that can’t be borne of good intentions.

What I want to know is if Stoner would promote a healthy and competitive primary for the Senate race, or just expect Democrats to rubber-stamp the legacy candidate for no other reason than name recognition.