Morning Reads — Thursday, August 15, 2013

On this day in 2001, Astronomers announced the discovery of the first solar system outside “ours” (the two planets orbiting a star in the Big Dipper). Also on this day in 1997, the U.S. Justice Department decided not to prosecute FBI officials in connection with the deadly 1992 Ruby Ridge siege in Idaho and the alleged cover up. I’m old enough to remember both of these events, so I’m feeling old.

Peaches

Jimmy Carter

Sweet Tea

Liberty Drum

1. Rick Day says:

This question was serendipitously asked in the Morning read:
    What’s in an “atheist text,” anyway? Does it say “John 3:16 = NOT!” -? Seriously, we’re asking.

Typically, rational discourse and ideas for improving interhuman relations beyond entrenched dogmas comprises most atheist texts. Can you dig it?

Excluding the Kindle-only titles, Amazon.com’s ten best selling books in atheism are currently as follows:
    The God Delusion
    The God Argument: The Case against Religion and for Humanism
    The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever
    Religion for Atheists: A Non-believer’s Guide to the Uses of Religion (Vintage)
    Letter to a Christian Nation
    God and the Atom
    Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America’s Leading Atheists
    Christianity Before Christ
    The God Virus: How religion infects our lives and culture
    Atheism For Dummies (For Dummies (Religion & Spirituality)

Think I’ll buy about 50 copies of Letter to a Christian Nation for the good folks at Vogel State Taxpayer Park, and I’m not even atheist.
    Thanks for axin’….. 😀

• Ellynn says:

Debbie Dooley was in a round table dicussion on Chris Hayes’ MSNBC show in July prior ro the vote on the use of windpower in the state. They joked about being in a Green Tea Party. It’s a good watch and lasted for the last two segments of the shows. I can’t get the link from my current computer location or it would be included.

• pettifogger says:

Interesting. Sierra Club influence makes me think I won’t be aligned with them for long, but I’ll watch closely.

Conservatives definitely need to stop abandoning all conservation issues, considering the pretty prominent role they play in American conservation efforts.

• As someone who’s involved in the core organizing group, I wouldn’t say “Sierra Club influence”. We’re finding common areas that we agree on and working towards those goals. We realize that we’re not going to agree on everything… or most things even. But for those areas that we can agree on, we’re choosing to ignore the media hype that pits one side against the other and see if we can actually get things done. Perhaps that will include getting the legislature to modify the Territorial Electric Service Act of 1973 to introduce more competition into our electric markets in Georgia. We’re still in our early beginnings, but the future looks bright. 🙂

Conservatives like clean air and water as well. We too enjoy the outdoors – from hunting to fishing to whatever else – I think most of us understand that we have to take care of our natural resources. I, for one, am planning on taking the day off tomorrow and going hiking for the day. 🙂

2. Scott65 says:

I find it odd that Coke is pushing Aspartame. It is some nasty stuff. I went years suffering from an allergy to that stuff before I finally realized what was causing it. I dont drink soda generally but never drank diet soda. The only place I came in contact with it was my parents (who only drank diet soda). My Mom even accused me of not wanting to visit because I would always seem to get sick when I visited (aspartame caused migraines…the real migraines not just bad headaches). Once we made the connection I was tested and sure ’nuff…allergic. Whats interesting is many people have this allergy and dont even know. I look at every label and thankfully, diet soda and some kinds of gum are pretty much the only thing that contain aspartame

3. Three Jack says:

Shenanigans continue tonight in Cherokee with school board member Kelly Marlow’s ongoing battle against the establishment and a bunch of professional antagonists leading the ‘SCRAM’ organization to oust her. The BOE will take up Marlow’s request for compensation to pay for her attorney in the upcoming ethics hearing scheduled by the BOE to review charges against Marlow. The BOE has a full time attorney on call so it would seem reasonable that Marlow should also have the same benefit at taxpayer expense since she faces censure from the BOE. It should be an entertaining evening with bloated egos on all sides battling it out over a few hundred bucks.

• saltycracker says:

No surprise, the BOE denied her request to pay her attorney $150 per hour to defend her in ethics violations brought by the BOE. Hope she doesn’t ask them to pay for her arrest defense as she was leaving a meeting.

Should she prevail in the ethics charge, the BOE might need to write some checks. Having the Cosby´s step up for you has to be scarey.

• Three Jack says:

Thanks for the update salty. I couldn’t get there in time last night, but if she had those wackjobs as her character witnesses, then she really is getting bad advice from her 40 person ‘kitchen cabinet’.