Shirley Franklin Speculation–Could She Run for Office?

August 14, 2013 12:31 pm

by Ed · 11 comments

Former Atlanta mayor Shirley Franklin seems to be positioning herself for… well, something.

A tip was recently sent to the Peach Pundit tip line alerting us of the aptly-named shirley-franklin.com

The website seems to be a way for Franklin to define her term in office–and perhaps set her up for a future candidacy. What she might run for is unknown. I’ve heard some fairly strong rumors of how Democrats’ leading officials are clearing the way for their candidacy for governor or senate in 2016 and 18. No plans involve Franklin.

Which leads to the question what might she be plotting? I spoke to several Democratic insiders yesterday and the consensus seems to be that she’s out of politics.

Judging from a post on her “Blogging While Blue” website, it may be the case she simply wants to control her narrative. Shirley writes: “Technology and the Internet offer me an opportunity to share stories about my years in Atlanta, mostly my 21 years in city government. I was privileged to work in the administrations of Mayors Maynard Jackson and Andrew Young and to work side by side with countless civic, community and political leaders over the years.”

So what say you, Peach Punditeers? What is your speculation for her future?

peachpundit (@peachpundit) August 14, 2013 at 12:31 pm

New post: Shirley Franklin Speculation–Could She Run for Office? http://t.co/UCpvFf8YjX #gapol

@ATLShirley August 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Never say never RT@peachpundit: New post: Shirley Franklin Speculation–Could She Run for Office? http://t.co/AFPcd1i0Fq #GaPol

Ed August 14, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I think we got our answer!

Charlie Harper (@IcarusPundit) August 14, 2013 at 2:03 pm

—-> RT @ATLShirley: Never say never RT@peachpundit: Shirley Franklin Speculation–Could She Run for Office? http://t.co/tzEC5ZYS04 #GaPol

Charlie August 14, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Well, fwiw, Mayor Franklin just retweeted this with “Never say never”.

Will Durant August 14, 2013 at 2:56 pm

More baggage than Kate Winslet’s character in Titanic.

jlynn August 14, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Disagree. She’s a smart, well connected woman with a strong political record of elect-ability. Shirley Franklin for State School Superintendent if John Barge runs for Gov!

Spacey G August 14, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Can’t really add anything to this discussion, but I was always hoping Ms. Franklin’s interest in furthering Internet connectivity and access (for public school students) throughout Georgia would amount to something other than a stepping stone moment between campaigns. Did it?

benevolus August 14, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Well she’s not going to go up against a Dem incumbent. Unless…
I think she lives in the 5th. But there are probably 5 other big names who will want that seat when it becomes available.
Hard to imagine her winning anything statewide, although I would like to see her as Insurance Commissioner. Kasim probably has a better shot at Governor than she does.
What’s left?

griftdrift August 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Not much. Not that that’s ever stopped Democrats in the past.

slyram August 15, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Please don’t let the Dems get that same old group of folks to can those weak ads for Black radio..

Comments on this entry are closed.