Morning Reads for Friday, August 9, 2013

Here:
– Yet another possible candidate for the GA Senate race – newcomer Art Gardner.
– This weekend is the sales tax holiday. I’ll like a new MacBook, if you feel so inclined.
– The fallout from the Atlanta VA Hospital fiasco continues unabated. Video here.
Grady County State Court in hot water over its “Administrative Costs.”
– Somebody hire Drew Johnson.
Jackie Gingrich, Newt’s first wife, passed away Wednesday. Our thoughts and prayers for the family.
– The circus is in town.

There:
Geography is hard. (No, Savannah is NOT a Gulf port…)
Groupies.
– Don’t like something? Pass a resolution! That’s almost as good as a strongly worded memo!
Christie leads in early NH poll. Yikes, but it’s still very, very early.
DoD gags Fort Hood survivors and families.
– Lewis Grizzard, Patron Saint of Peach Pundit, would have subtitled this extremely poor choice as, “I wouldn’t have told youtubed that one.”

Random Everywhere:
– The IRS scandal, day 91.
– The sun’s magnetic field will flip soon as part of its 11 year solar weather cycle.
– I wonder if they make you check your rubber chicken.
Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood to perform in Athens Nov. 7. Audience participation expected.
– Don’s Daily Scoreboard.

• Ghost of William F Buckley says:

Buzz,

I hope you do not mind this ‘rider’ comment as an unabashed use of your prime comment position in this thread, RE:geography. A bit of a stretch about a geographical observation, at that.

Why should the GOP take notice and watch Kentucky politics?

1.) Rand Paul is allegedly conducting Tea Party grass roots education events there:

The Tea Party threatens the GOP by way of division, though I agree with many of their principles. “A house divided cannot stand,” and these folks are using ‘any means necessary’ to upset the establishment GOP. That may be long overdue, but we will lose, lose, lose as a Party.

2.) Liberal groups may employ what I would call the “Kentucky Cleft” strategy to sell medicaid expansion [and I am sure other agenda items] as a first step to divide the South. You want links and URLS, well, they are not yet out there, but I am seeing this from advocacy trenches.

1. John Vestal says:

Mea culpa…..forgot to mention that yesterday (Aug 8) was also apparently “Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor’s Porch Day”.

(My remembering to mention this right after reading #11 on Don’s Daily Scoreboard is pure coincidence. Really. YMMV.)

2. Lea Thrace says:

“DoD gags Fort Hood survivors and families.”

That is a stupid article. The gag is on witnesses who could be called to testify and it is by the judge in the case. That is a common judiciary practice.

I should have known better than to click on a link to redstate.

3. Errm, can’t find a Facebook page or profile for Art Gardner. I would think the basics should exist in at least the two major social media platforms if you’re running statewide. 🙂

4. seenbetrdayz says:

Crips invade home in DeKalb county. Oh wait, those are officers of the law. Totally different.

• Dave Bearse says:

I’ll be interested in how it plays out.

One of the first things I did after moving to DeKalb County was place the home address on the front door in 4 inch letters.

I recollect speculation in the last month that Sheriff Brown would run for higher office. From what was shown and heard the County may have to write a check.

• saltycracker says:

Watched a bit and the home owners need to watch Chris Rock´s instructions on how not to get your ass kicked by the cops.

5. tomfromdecatur says:

I wonder where the Falcons and the NFL got thier new “bag” policy? It is remarkably similar to the Bureau of Prisons’ policy on bringing in items during visitation at a Federal prison work camp: “All items carried into the visiting room must be carried in a clear plastic container or bag. This bag will be no bigger than ten inches long and six inches wide.” Here’s the new policy for the NFL: “Fans can still bring in their items, but they must be in clear bags that do not exceed 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches, one-gallon clear plastic freezer bags”.

6. Will Durant says:

I still think it is beneath the dignity of the office for the POTUS to appear on entertainment shows, regardless of their political persuasion.

7. Simeon Barsabae says:

Not that I’m worried about the magnetic field change on the Sun, but what’s the plan if something goes wrong?

8. Noway says:

Anyone have an opinion about the restaurant in the news that doesn’t allow kids under 8 after 7pm?
    Sounds good to me!

• xdog says:

You would prefer Terdoslavich or Constanza? Schaefer was pressing for time before he was hurt so it’s not like the Braves are blind to BJU’s failings. Hell, 195 is 195.

• Harry says:

Shafer is being activated from the 15 day DL and made available for today’s game. “In his previous 11 games before fouling a ball off his right foot on June 26, Schafer hit .400 (10-for-25) with a home run and five RBIs while spelling all three starting outfielders and making an impact as a pinch-hitter.” BJ Upton with his .175 batting average needs a vacation in Gwinnett.

9. saltycracker says:

TJ

If recent business articles are close, the Republicans have a nice pot of money to pass around and Amazon will do just fine if a large portion of the tax flows back to them.