Morning Reads From Ed–Celebrate

Also how one Mets bro reacted to a Yoenis Céspedes home run.
The standard reaction to seeing a post from Ed on Peach Pundit.

Hello to all my loyal readers. And if you aren’t a loyal reader, just wait. You’ll become one.

On this day in 1988, God said: “what fury hath I unleashed onto the world?”

Has anyone been able to get ripe fruit from their tomatoes yet? Mine are about 8-9 feet tall, ton of fruit but its all green and has been for a while. Also, my eggplants are disappointing.

1. John Walraven says:

Ed, try thinning out any yellow branches under tomato plants. For your tomatoes that are green and very large go ahead and harvest. Because of the heavy rains the fruit is not turning red and leaving huge green fruit on the vines will send a signal to the plant to slow production.

We put some 4-3-3 organic granular food on our eggplant. It responded in 3 days with great fruit. We used 2 tablespoons, side dressing the plant. Ate our first one last week.

Best wishes!!

• greencracker says:

This year I’ve been picking them orange and letting them ripen in a bag with a banana. Not ideal … but yea, a weird soggy year. As usual, I’m growing Romas only.

But, during this “dry” spell, I put in some “Phoenix,” which I’ve never tried before, in hopes of some Thanksgiving tomatoes.

• Napoleon says:

For the second year in a row, I can’t seem to keep my pumpkin vines from withering. They keep growing and producing flowers, but the vines die soon after. Last year I thought it wasn’t enough water. This year, I’m thinking I don’t need to be trying to grow pumpkins.

• Scott65 says:

So much for dry spell…I planted romas, grape, and 4 other varieties (2 heirloom). This is the worst kind of weather for tomatoes. They like hot and dry weather and do not like their roots constantly wet…which has been the rule this year. My yield is way down…and the GD squirrels are the best reason I can think of to have a BB gun

2. Ed says:

Thanks.

I’ve got Black Crim, a tomato from the Soviet Union (TOMATO EAT YOU IN SOVIET UNION!) and a cherry tomato of some kind.

Gonna give that a whirl this week.

• Ellynn says:

Try planting a small plant that likes alot of water or has shallow roots at the side of the base of your plants. If its a dry season you will have to do alot of watering, but if it’s a wet year, it helps the tomatoes and peppers from producing too much or water logged fruit. My father always planted stuff that needed lower tempertures or shape to grow well on the northside of the tomatoes, like kohlrabi, broccoli, and turnips. We had fast shallow growing stuff that had to be harveted often on the south side, like kale, Italian parsley or watercress. The rows looked weird with all that stuff growing around the tomatoe cages but they were the easiest rows to weed thanks to all the leaves and the constant replanting of watercress and kohlrabies.

• Ellynn says:

I don’t know what type of plant my Russian neighbor growing up grew but his tomatoes “from the motherland” were this really strange shape of green for like a week and then the lower half turned dark red. Maybe they are ment to be a dark green?

3. Spacey G says:

Oh jeez, save us from the new, positively beatific Peach Pundit: Gardening tips, cupcakes, and wise, grammatically correct commenting. Heck, even Chris Huttman comments in less than 500 words now.

I miss Fight Club.

• We’re expanding our reach in an effort to attract new readers. It’s a tough job but well worth the effort. Stay tuned for Ed and Charlie’s new cooking show this fall called “Cooking With The Pundits.” With Paula Deen kicked to the curb, there’s a hole in the market that must be filled.

• Scott65 says:

…of course, featuring what else…BBQ. Maybe it should go on tour all over GA in search of the best…oh wait, you’re doing that. Where’s the video???

• Scott65 says:

You can always count on me for bad grammar, usually due to the fact that I am itchin’ to hit that submit button before a solid proof read…so not all is lost (and I always seem to have a less than popular opinion on certain things)

4. Noway says:

A speech by Ted Cruz’s dad, who was imprisoned in Cuba at one time.
    He should be senator, too!

• xdog says:

Imprisoned by Batista, not that I suppose the exact identity of his keepers mattered much to him. Also fought with Castro but ‘didn’t know he was a Communist’ according to wikipedia, which sounds rather like he didn’t inhale either.

• sockpuppet says:

Lots of people did not know that Castro was a communist initially. Castro only told people that he was trying to overthrow the Batista dictatorship. Castro was clearly a leftist – and back in his era that wasn’t considered to be a bad thing at home or abroad – but didn’t give any indication that he was a hard core Soviet style communist until he took power. A lot of the people who supported Castro just wanted to get rid of the dictator that they had – and for good reason I might add – and had no idea that they were merely exchanging one dictatorship for another. Look, other than perhaps liking his ideology better, it is difficult to claim that for the Cubans Castro is worse than Batista, or that Batista was better than Castro. Especially considering that the U.S. vigorously supported the former while embargoing and making a main enemy of our foreign and economic policy the latter. Also, the Castro regime turned a lot of leftists, including not a few communists, into very conservative cold warriors. Actually living under that system instead of admiring it from afar and buying into the propaganda tends to do that to certain people.

• xdog says:

Not much. I was turned off from the beginning when they misspelled his name. Otherwise, pretty standard message from the Christian inspired right, don’t you think?

• Noway says:

The fact that he overcame Castro, came here worked hard and lived the American Dream is of no value if he is Christian? Wow! Would your reaction be different if he was a criminal and came over in the Muriel (?) Boatlift under Carter?

• xdog says:

Please don’t put words in my mouth. What I said was that I’m familiar with the religious basis he used to inform his remarks. I’ve certainly heard before about our divinely inspired founding fathers and the glories of their 20th century heir Reagan from Peggy Noonan on down, or up, as you prefer.

Look, Cruz Senior is probably a nice old guy once you get him off the stage. I’m pretty sure I’d enjoy talking with him about his life in Cuba under Batista, what it was like to fight for then disown the revolution. But I’ll pass on him as a political/religious guide. Is that all right with you?

And ftr, he lived the Canadian dream long before he decided USA was his home.

• Stefan says:

I’ve thought about turning this, combined with my algorithm article from yesterday into a full-length post. If my soccer game gets cancelled I will do so.

• xdog says:

And the answers are ‘They’d be outraged’, ‘ALL of them’, and ‘Obama’.

Am I right?

• Harry says:

It’s pretty clear that the Obama Administration if they continue in this direction will take us to a very un-American future.

5. Herb says:

Those watermelon farmers have Global Warming and its partner-in-crime George W. Bush to thank for the crop failures. Maybe we need widespread crop failures in order to see that Climate Change is real and that the Cons must be voted out for the sake of the country and the planet.

• TheEiger says:

You climate change people have been promising me for years that Florida will be under water soon. Please stop getting my hope s up that I will one day only have to drive to Valdosta to go to the beach instead of all the way through Florida Gator country.

• Herb says:

I know people who lives down there. Don’t strike terror in my heart! The sinking of Florida is the cornerstone of my war on Climate Change and its Republican allies.