Pennington…The Real Deal This Time?

Swirling rumors coupled with announcements, then a possible announcement, then an announcement to hold off on the announcement have left us all wondering if and when Dalton Mayor David Pennington will throw his hat into the ring for Governor. But this morning we were met with an endorsement by the highly respected (for his politics and his BBQ) Oscar Poole.

(via Facebook)
ENDORSEMENT OF DAVID PENNINGTON FOR GOVERNOR, Col. Oscar Poole’s Blog, Tues June 18, 2013
I am he of whom Joe McCutchen spake! Not sure of all the accolades he bestows upon me! But today I am happy to endorse the candidacy of DAVID PENNINGTON, Mayor of Dalton, for Governor of Georgia in the upcoming Republican primary! I have watched David for over a year as he has considered running for this race. Let me make it clear that my endorsement is FOR David and not Against another. In the present case, this is true for ALL the candidates I have endorsed as I consider myself as friends with all the other Republican candidates be it this race, the US Senate, or the Congressional race I have already endorsed! For example, it was Nathan Deal who sponsored my FIRST “Col. Poole Takes Pork Back To Washington” sixteen years ago when his whole staff rolled up their sleeves and helped us serve 450 people in the Sam Rayburn Building! Please know that such befriending of me is NOT taken lightly!
Why am I endorsing DAVID PENNINGTON? For one thing, he ASKED me! He has been to Poole’s BBQ several times. We have gotten aquainted as I feel I have “vetted” him. I have learned of his EXPERIENCE of CUTTING SPENDING and CUTTING TAXES. A vital reason is that he has committed to abolishing the state income tax which is hindering BUSINESS from coming to Georgia when the states north and south of us do not have an income tax. Our present leadership steadfastly ignores this important factor. Also, David is a BUSINESS man and I feel we should give a business man an opportunity to manage our affairs. These, and other reasons, I support David’s candidacy.

There hasn’t been too much opposition surrounding the possible run, just questions about funding and the scarlet letter (read: target) that will be on his back should he saddle up for this race. In staying true to opposing the status quo, I hope he runs. Besides, he definitely loves liberty more than Deal.
Please discuss.

1. stephy4030 says:

I am very impressed with David Pennington. I have heard him speak twice and I walked away learning something and honestly feel hopeful.
    The fact that he has a background in Economics coupled with being a successful businessman is a one- two punch.
    He is going to have a broad appeal. My college age daughter was won over after hearing him speak here in Valdosta. In that same crowd was a very successful gentleman in his 80’s who jumped up and pledged 5,000 dollars should Pennington throw in his hat. It may be a David vs. Goliath type race, with that said, I am all in for the David in that contest.

2. gcp says:

A gubernatorial candidate that wants to abolish the state income tax? Interesting…US Rep. Deal supported the Fair Tax when he was in Washington but strangely, now as Governor, he says nothing about a Ga. Fair Tax.

3. sockpuppet says:

“A vital reason is that he has committed to abolishing the state income tax which is hindering BUSINESS from coming to Georgia when the states north and south of us do not have an income tax. ”

Oh please. Can anyone name a single business that we have lost to Florida or especially to Tennessee due to our having an income tax? It is funny how all of these technology companies are moving to this state – including, gasp!, the high tax city of Atlanta – instead of Tennessee because – gasp! – having a large pool of workers actually capable of doing technology work is more important than the tax climate. Which is why you don’t see Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. relocating or even putting major offices in Tennessee either.

But hey, if you want to eliminate the income tax, go for it. Just don’t raise other taxes on constituencies that don’t vote for you to make it up. In other words, accompany your tax cuts with real spending cuts that will reduce or eliminate programs that are used by and popular with everyone, including Republican and swing voters. Nathan Deal doesn’t talk about the FairTax, or even ending using gas tax revenue in the general fund instead of only on transportation, now that he is governor? Well gee, that’s why. He knows that he can’t do even the latter – let alone the former – without cutting programs that his voters support.

• “Which is why you don’t see Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. relocating or even putting major offices in Tennessee either.”

But our tax climate is better than that of Santa Clara, Mountain View, Palo Alto, etc. – aka Silicon Valley.

• Ken says:

I think that while eliminating the state corporate tax and state income tax would be beneficial in general, I think it would most often come into play when a company is looking to move or open a new plant. It might not be enough to lure away a comfortable company, but a profitable company that is considering moving would take it into account.

4. Cloverhurst says:

While ending the state income tax sounds great, its never going to happen.

While Texas doesn’t have an income tax per se, it does have a gross receipts tax. They also have oil and tax every barrel that come out of the ground and then taxes it again after refining.

Florida has its coastline and outrageous property taxes.

Tennessee taxes dividend income and has a hodge podge of other taxes.

Georgia is 49th in per capita taxation, not a bad place to be.

5. F. Underwood says:

I like Pennington as a candidate. I just wish he wouldn’t waste himself on a failed bid for gov. I’m not sure Deal has performed so poorly that he needs to be fired.