UPDATED: New GOP Senate Nomination Poll

As reported on WSB during their 6 PM newscast a new Landmark Communications/Rosetta Stone poll shows a wide open field with no clear front runner for the GOP Senate nomination.

Phil Gingrey 16.8%
Paul Broun 14.9%
Karen Handel 13.8%
Jack Kingston 7.2%
Kelly Loeffler 1.4%
David Perdue 1.3%
Derrick Grayson 0.2%
Undecided 44.4%

Also of interest is that Handel leads Gingrey slightly in the Metro Region while Broun leads outside the Metro followed by Gingrey then Kingston.

It’s early, very early but polls like this give the candidates guidance on what direction to take.

More data here (pdf).

1. Daniel N. Adams says:

I believe more people live outside of metro than inside metro…. Also curious where the majority of their “outside metro” participants live?

• drjay says:

i guess it depends what you consider “metro” i think the census designated area has over 5 million folks which is right at or a little better than half of the population–i remember when i was in athens, someone (a professor,maybe) used to say that 2/3 of the pop of ga lived within an hour of atl (but i don’t know how he came to that conclusion. or what he meant when he said “atlanta”…

• Daniel N. Adams says:

Thanks Charlie. I thought it to be this, close to 50/50, just reversed. Looking at the crosstabs, the poll seems to be too heavy metro. And depending on where the outside metro numbers came from, it may even be more skewed towards metro.

• Charlie says:

No, they’re more concentrated in the metro area and in N GA than in South GA. If you look at the Congressional Districts with highest GOP votes, the top 5 (can’t remember the order) were 3,6,9,10, and 14. The smallest (of those drawn Republican) were in 1,8, and 12.

As for the particular weight of this poll, that’s between you and the pollster. It’s 14 months out from mattering, and the polls are largely going off name ID and fave/unfave right now. Much like guessing who is going to win the Kentucky Derby by the position at the first turn, these are much more for our amusement than they are about predicting anything. I’ll reserve my limited math skills for something that actually matters.

• eschristian says:

Agreed – way too early! Even though I have my candidate, I knew as soon as she entered the race, these polls are just as you described Charlie, “the polls are largely going off name ID and fave/unfave right now. Much like guessing who is going to win the Kentucky Derby by the position at the first turn, these are much more for our amusement than they are about predicting anything. I’ll reserve my limited math skills for something that actually matters.”.

• TheEiger says:

She will not be a serious contender unless she writes a personal check for $10 million; which she has and could easily do. She is smart enough to know that this is a very large up hill battle with the odds of wining are slim to none. The only way she gets into this race is if the current field implodes. This will not happen.

• pettifogger says:

The current field is weak from a national senatorial star perspective, and I think that is why she could gain some influential support if she wants in. I know for certain she’d immediately gain some some well-placed party backers if she makes the leap.

That said, she’d obviously face some entrenched candidates, so I doubt that is appealing.

• ricstewart says:

I’d like to see Loeffler run for U.S. House or Lt. Gov instead, but that might feel like small potatoes for someone in her position.