Attention Metro Atlanta Region: Do you know Jack?

You may not know Jack Kingston, despite his 20 years in Congress. He hails from Athens and more lately Savannah, so unless your hobby is watching appropriations hearings, you might not know all things Jack can do. He can FIGHT. He can LISTEN. He can LEAD. He BELIEVES. And Jack WORKS.

Fairly good introductory video that does nothing but repeat the candidate’s name for the first 35 seconds or so. No doubt we will be seeing parts of this video and more like it on Atlanta-area TV stations pretty soon…

1. Cameron Crazy says:

It also reminds us that Jack is a Congressman and has been for 20 plus years. The only job programs he has ever created are ones he has appropriated our tax dollars to fund. I wonder what he will do on the pork filled farm bill vote coming up? Here is my question, what will he do differently if elected to the Senate other than get a pay raise. He has had 20 years to create change. The only jobs plan Jack is worried about is his own job promotion and pay raise.

• Ken says:

Kingston has a strong record of being pro-economic growth with a lifetime ACU rating of 95.86%. Personally, I don’t want him to do anything differently if elected. Kingston is an , conservative Republican. I like that.

• Ken says:

OK, that should have been:

Kingston has a strong record of being pro-economic growth with a lifetime ACU rating of 95.86%. Personally, I don’t want him to do anything differently if elected. Kingston is an effective , conservative Republican. I like that.

• sockpuppet says:

@Ken:

Having a strong record of being pro-economic growth and actually delivering on economic growth are 2 different things. Also, what has Kingston done that would actually reduce the size of government and government spending in a real way? Voting the way that Hastert, Boehner, Bush et al want him to doesn’t accomplish that. If it did, there would be no Tea Party/Rand Paul movement to begin with.

• Ken says:

sockpuppet,

Putting Kingston in the same group as Hastert, Boehner and Bush is unfounded and misleading. According to the National Taxpayers Union, in the 112th Congress alone, Kingston voted for an annualized net decrease in spending of $345, 430,000.

The biggest increase Kingston supported was to repeal the Affordable Healthcare Act (Obamacare) which is counted as a $325,000,000 increase by the NTU.

I’m not an expert on Kingston’s legislative efforts, but three minutes of research and another five minutes of reading produced the location of H.R. 2041 The Returning to Responsible Fiscal Policies Act (2011) which would help reduce overspending by $561,953,000 over just two years. Co-sponsors included well-known national fiscal hawks such as Jason Chaffetz, Jeff Flake and Jim Jordan and fellow Georgians Gingrey, Graves and Westmoreland. There are others out there, too.

As for the TEA Party, Kingston has always been a friend of the TEA Party movement, supporting it when many Republicans were still frightened off by MSM attacks on the movement.

• TheEiger says:

I don’t think anyone is necessarily arguing that he has never voted the right way. Many of us look at his 20 years in Congress and say what has he accomplished? We are $17 trillion in debt and as I have mentioned on this site before Kingston loves earmarks. Earmarks for blueberry research. I don’t think that is an efficient use of my tax dollars. Period.

• Ken says:

TheEiger,

sockpuppet wanted an example of specific legislation to reduce the government size or spending.. I gave him an example and then the overall effects of Kingston’s votes.

As for earmarks *sound of industrial size can opener* this is the deal: if items are not earmarked by Congress as to how they should be spent, then the agency, controlled by the executive branch decides where the money goes. In this case that would be the President.

Yes we are nearly $17 trillion in debt. Yes that is a problem. Will it be solved by attacking a guy who never even spends all of his allowance for staff and offices? The same guy who when chair of Agriculture Appropriations actually significantly reduced the amount spent? I’m not sure how you get there from here.

• TheEiger says:

That’s fine. You can justify your vote in anyway you want. Just like I can. I want a change in Washington not a 20 career politician who I see has no reason to make DC changes its ways. And I hate blueberries, obviously.

• Ken says:

Meaning, of course, that you are not interested in facts. I apologize to you for wasting your time. You are free to blunder about at will.

• Ken says:

Yes we could. That earmark was the-late-and-not-necessarily-great Jack Murtha’s baby. Murtha was the US House Chairman of Defense Appropriations at the time.

We live in Georgia which is full of military installations, one of which is the largest industrial complex in the entire state. You seem bright when you want to be. Figure it out.

I love facts. Here, let me help you out:

I love facts when they point toward my predetermined conclusions. OK, I fixed it for you. You’re welcome.

• Ellynn says:

Blueberry reseach is very import to the blue who own blueberry farms. Say like the HUGE one in Maine the Koch brothers have…

• Charlie says:

You might also note that blueberries are the largest cash crop in Georgia now, representing more revenue than both Peaches and Peanut Butter.

You might also note that they’re generally grown in South Georgia – and even in the 1st district.

Calling out the Koch Brothers when there’s an obvious Georgia reason/benefit is lazy and tired. There’s plenty of real live boogey men at work these days. At least try to find the right one when you feel you need one.

• Ellynn says:

Sorry Charlie, Although in my defense I had a tie in over to the AFP/ Jack Kingston set of comments. I was going for irony not boogy men… and I am all for research… really.

That being said, I will respectfully be less boogey in the future…

(Walking over corner to my corner for my time out…)

• Demonbeck says:

Alma is in south Georgia. Alma is the nation’s blueberry capital. Blueberries are an important agricultural commodity in this state and create lots of jobs and revenue for Georgia. Blueberry research makes these crops more resilient and improve opportunities for blueberry farmers to profit from growing them. This research needs funding. Funding is available in Washington. We send our Congressmen and Senators to Washington to represent and look after our state’s needs. Kingston supported funding for this research.

I don’t see the problem.

• Demonbeck says:

Georgia is funding it, unless we get some kind of special federal tax break I don’t know about.

Now if you want to get into how much we are taxed, I’m right there with you. If you want to discuss reducing the amount the federal government spends on this research program-wide, I’m with you.

But if funding is already appropriated, then I want as much as we can get for Georgia, and I expect our delegation to think the same way. It is our money too, after all.

• mpierce says:

NTU (109th – 112th)(in $millions)

Broun -558,906
            Gingrey -498,201
            Kingston -471,082
            Boehner -56,811

• Ken says:

That should actually be:

Kingston voted for an annualized net decrease in spending of $345, 430,000,000.

And:

The Returning to Responsible Fiscal Policies Act (2011) which would help reduce overspending by $561,953,000,000 over just two years

2. According to a new Landmark/RosettaStone poll on the Senate race, Jack could use a little name ID of any kind: They have Gingrey at 17%, Broun at 15%, Handel at 14% and Kingston at 7% Yikes. Undecided supposedly = 44%.

• Ken says:

Good points, sir.

BTW, I always thought Kingston’s slogan should have been “You don’t know Jack!” (In a good way, of course)

• sockpuppet says:

Hate to say it, but I would prefer Gingrey or Broun to the same old same old. And yes, I do believe that either Gingrey or Broun would still win the Senate race. Everyone keeps talking about Todd Akin, but Georgia isn’t Missouri. Missouri is a purple state, a swing state, not a deep red state like Georgia.

• Dawgfan says:

So, you’re saying we should elect the least impressive candidate to the Senate because we can?

3. BigRedConservative says:

I like Jack, but I do think Cameron Crazy makes a good point. I’ve been disappointed time and time again with career politicians, and one commercial doesn’t necessarily dispel years of reinforcement on that front. I’ll always be skeptical of campaign rhetoric.

• Charlie says:

Whereas I’m always skeptical that sock puppets that show up for the first time on campaign threads are actually paid political consultants.

• Charlie says:

I’m sorry, but we’re still 14 months out from a primary, so I really don’t think now would be the time for the consulting class to go stupid on us.

When you log in using the email address of a large and nationally known consultant, I find it hard to believe you just discovered our blog today and decided that you had it on your heart that you needed to discuss your hatred for career politicians. You know, like the ones that your firm works for. Every cycle.

Do better.

Also, adding emoticons after saying something that stupid in a response just pisses me off. So I also would advise dropping those in the future.

Another also, we have a well established commenting community with about an 8 year track record here. Do you think that some of us get tired of watching the new sock puppets the first day on their new job show up with the “I’m just a concerned voter” shtick? I know I do.

Bring this crap again and I name who you work for.

• Lea Thrace says:

Get off Charlie’s lawn or he will show you what for!

(Charlie, Thanks for the insight re: sockpuppets. I have noticed a lot of new names around here in the last few weeks out of the blue and this helps explain it a bit.)

• Ellynn says:

As one of the newbie posters (but long time reader), some please give me a heads up if I head in the direction of Charlie’s lawn…

4. ricstewart says:

Don’t forget your flag lapel pin, Congressman.

Perhaps the shirt he’s wearing at 0:59 is a compensation for that?

5. Jack Votes says:

It only took Kingston 44 seconds into his video to break the law: Broadcast coverage and recordings of House floor proceedings may not be used for any political purpose under House Rule 5, clause 2(c)(1). In addition, under House Rule 11, clause 4(b), radio and television tapes and film of any coverage of House committee proceedings may not be used, or made available for use, as partisan political campaign material to promote or oppose the candidacy of any person for public office.

• Napoleon says:

Problem may be in that the shot has Kingston’s official campaign logo and a “paid for by” the campaign. The youtube page says the video is by ” Sea Raven Media.”

According to the SoS office, Sea Raven Media is a corporation HQed in Peachtree City and the corporate registration was filed in Jan. 2012.

Jill Pattiz is listed on the filings as the registered agent.

So, even if it was put together by a “volunteer,” it seems that it could be claimed to be an in-kind corporate contribution, which, I believe, would be prohibited by the FEC.

Of course this all goes to the same conclusion…these rules and laws should be struck downs as unconstitutional violations of the first amendment! I mean, are we really trying to play “gotcha” with a friggin’ YouTube video?

6. segafamily says:

With 20-years in Congress, surely Jack has written some important piece of legislation we can look at. However, I can’t find anything except that which he co-sponsored. Did the guy actually not author anything significant in 20-years time?

Also, I’ve been unable to find any reference to his military service, if any. Anyone know if, when and where he served? Or not served for that matter. Thanks.

• Ken says:

See my response above to sockpuppet. Google may or may not be your friend but it makes it easy to locate information.

• segafamily says:

Ken: I am well versed in use of The Google and it’s tubes for research. Please provide a link or two to something Jack AUTHORED, not co-sponsored, found plenty of those (because that’s easy?) in his 20+ years. Thanks.

• Ken says:

I don’t like to repost the same thing in multiple places, but if -again – you will see my response to sockpuppet, I refer to “H.R. 2041 The Returning to Responsible Fiscal Policies Act (2011) which would help reduce overspending by $561,953,000 over just two years” which Jack authored. It’s clearly listed within the NTU link I provided.

If you couldn’t find that with Google, then perhaps you should try a bit harder.

• segafamily says:

I guess I shouldn’t assume things.

I was after legislation Jack had authored that was enacted. Something we could see and measure. Something tangible.

I had found HR2041, but since it died in Committee, never reintroduced nor passed into law, I discounted it.

I don’t consider 9-pages with a scant 14 co-sponsors something to hang a 20-year career on. Maybe he’s got a low bar.

Got anything he wrote that was enacted? I can’t find any. Thanks!

• segafamily says:

I guess I shouldn’t assume things.

Got anything he wrote that was enacted? I can’t find any. Thanks!