Morning Reads–Not Worried Edition

Today’s poor use of statistics: Game 3 winner wins finals 92.3% of the time. King James & co. will overcome the Spurs. Not worried.

A certain thread on Facebook and other posts here have had frankly libelous statements about my political ideology. I would like to put those rumors to bed and say: I’m a conservative, this is my anthem.

How Georgia’s own Plant Vogtle represents the future of nuclear power in the United States.

Why is Georgia allowing 200,000 kids to go hungry during the summer?

Our two Senators voted to move immigration debate to Senate floor. OMGOMGOMG the procedural excitement is getting to me!

It’s getting hot in here…

Could Atlanta residents be getting lower water bills?

Five men ordained to the Transitional Diaconate in Atlanta Archdiocese. Like all other dioceses, more religious are needed.

Things are bad for the Dekalb County School System (how bad is it?) So bad, Michael Thurmond is giving bonuses to employees just for showing up to work. The interim school super was also named to Reinhardt University’s Board of Trustees recently.

Any column that earnest claims there are “millions of Georgians pining for a progressive” statewide office holder can be quickly discredited.

Emory poet to reprise role as Poet Laureate. Of the United States. I have a suggestion for another Georgia-based bard in case Obama is curious.

The one at JFK (more to say about Delta’s new terminal there later) is really nice. No reason ATL can’t have its own SkyDeck.

A sign of the Apocalypse: Tim Tebow now playing for Satan Bill Belichick. I have no doubt the NFL’s biggest tool will get cut before the season and, it is worth remembering, there are 160 QB roster slots for training camps. Tebow is easily one of the 100 best QBs in the league so why not. And no, he won’t play TE. That’s probably my beloved Patriots deepest position.

Let’s just say…hypothetically…you have a legal problem and you want to leave the country. Where should you go? Iceland. Or perhaps Samoa.

Foodstuffs… It is hot, you won’t want to heat up the kitchen, go explore Cheshire Bridge Road or make some good ice cream.

1. saltycracker says:

The immigration bill going to the floor is interesting but will we recognize it after it is digested ?

2. John Vestal says:

Here’s another ‘Granny Has a Gun and Knows How to Use It!’ story with a judicious outcome (yea, Me-Ma!), but the thing that caught my eye was the blurb about 85-year-old hubby Bob….

“Cooper worked gathering intelligence in Italy and France in the build-up to D-Day and spent years going to the shooting range with his wife after the war, he said.”

Sounds like Bob was one of the scores of young brave Americans who either lied about their age to enlist in the service or was barely 16 at enlistment, and was running intel in Nazi-occupied Europe at that age. Wow.

I have a hard time getting my 16-yr-old to ‘run intel’ at Home Depot.

Perspective.

3. sockpuppet says:

All right. I will bite.

Tebow is the biggest tool in the NFL? Sure he is, after you exclude the convicted criminals, guys credibly accused of multiple sexual assaults, guys who got multiple women pregnant at the same time, and guys who signed $50+ million contracts but declared bankruptcy while still drawing an NFL salary. And those are just some of the things done by other quarterbacks! While Tebow has made his share of mistakes, come on that was unwarranted.

“Michael Thurmond is giving bonuses to employees just for showing up to work”

No, he is giving bonuses for perfect attendance. And the idea is not exactly unprecedented … other workplaces do it also.

As far as pining for a progressive statewide office holder: how many people voted for Roy Barnes again? Jim Martin? And so on. Look, Georgia isn’t Utah. (Then again, as Mia Love couldn’t beat a Democrat for a Congress seat, maybe even Utah isn’t that politically uniform either.) Democrats are still 45% of the state. And if there was no Atlanta/Fulton/DeKalb to bait suburban and rural voters, it would be even higher.

“Why is Georgia allowing 200,000 kids to go hungry during the summer?”

I don’t know, maybe it is because it is the responsibility of parents to feed their kids and not the state?

• “Why is Georgia allowing 200,000 kids to go hungry during the summer?”

I would imagine there’s also plenty of strings that come with *our* money being dangled in front of us by the feds.

• drjay says:

from what i understand tebow gambled and lost last year when he vetoed a trade to jax (where i think he totally could have replaced gabbert at qb) in favor of what he thought would be a chance to compete with the hapless mark sanchez for the starting job in nyc…mcdaniel (who drafted tebow in denver) is back in new england, i would not be surprised if he sticks there as a #3 qb, and iirc correctly belichick has said positive things about the wildcat in the past (like after miami beat them using it a couple of years back) so maybe he will use it, at least in preseason, with tebow under center…

• Ed says:

Tebow is a tool, this is an objective, scientific fact.

W/r/t training camp, why not take the risk? The majority of a contract doesn’t kick in until he makes a team so you’ve got a few months with someone who wants to play and will work hard. He’s not better than Brady (no one is) so at the very least, you’ll have a strong backup willing to play wherever who you could get rid of for any sorely-needed defensive piece.

• sockpuppet says:

“Tebow is a tool, this is an objective, scientific fact.”

That isn’t what you said, nor is it what I objected to. I objected to your calling him the biggest tool in the NFL. He isn’t, isn’t even close, and that is an objective, scientific fact by any measure.

“As for the 200k kids the money is for the summer equivalent of free or reduced lunches, which shows that many of the kids’ parents are likely unable to feed them.”

When did this become the state’s problem or responsibility to address? And how has our society and economy gotten better since the state began to try – and mostly fail – at addressing poverty?

There are hungry kids? Our farmers were reporting that their crops were rotting in the fields because of the lack of workers to harvest them after our state rightfully cracked down on illegal aliens (and regrettably didn’t do enough against the businesses that hire them). There is the solution to the hungry kids problem right there: a job. I am certain that the farmers would have even allowed them to take some of the corn, tomatoes, etc. that they were picking home with them to feed their kids.

That is how hungry kids got fed before WIC and all these other programs lest we forget.

• Ed says:

States usually try to give some bare level of assistance to its poorest citizens. Why this is controversial is beyond me.

Your solution isn’t really much of one. I’m not sure if you’re advocating kids go out and work in the fields (a practice that would be illegal for the overwhelming majority of the program’s recipients) or that their parents do so (which conveniently ignores the difficulty of just picking up and moving a family or even an individual).

• “I’m not sure if you’re advocating kids go out and work in the fields (a practice that would be illegal for the overwhelming majority of the program’s recipients)”

This, I would see as a flaw in our child labor laws. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying kids should be subjected to working 12 and 14 hour days in sweat shops. But what’s wrong with letting them go work in the field for 3 or 4 hours a day to help put food on the table? Farm kids used to spend full days out in the field picking cotton, vegetables, etc. A little work never hurt anyone. Perhaps it’d be a good way to install a good work ethic in them at a young age. Besides, if they’re working in the blueberry fields, they can eat as they work, right? (I used to love going and picking blueberries for hours at a time at my parents’ friend’s house as a kid.)

“or that their parents do so (which conveniently ignores the difficulty of just picking up and moving a family or even an individual)”

From the article: “Griffin says this year they identified 14 counties, mostly rural, which had no local partners or sites where kids could get summer meals.” I wouldn’t think there’s much moving needed if most of the problem is in rural areas. Isn’t that typically where the farms are?

“Hungry kids got fed if there was an accessible social welfare provider and many of those weren’t particularly good.”

I know you don’t get OTP much, but you do have access to a history book or two, don’t you? Perhaps you should take a trip to South Georgia and talk to some of the old farmers for a bit. You may learn a thing or two.

• Ed says:

To point 1 all I can say is “REALLY?”

To point 2 has a lot of assumptions. It also ignores the difficulty of being able to uproot your life.

To point 3 the implication of “hungry kids” is that they lacked access to food. Being on a farm often means they have access to food. You might also look at what happened to farm-based families, in, oh, I don’t know, Oklahoma of the 1930s for a history lesson. Also, look at the endemic poverty of Appalachia and other broad swathes of the U.S. for another history lesson. Or that rural poverty in the U.S. has been a persistent problem…

• Point 1 – really. I know this will offend some people, as I mentioned in my comments yesterday – we’re rebuilding secondary gymnasiums in Cobb so that kids can play in climate controlled buildings instead of going outside to play. Furthermore, I own and live on a farm. I fully expect my kid(s) to muck stalls, cut grass, and do other work around the farm when they’re old enough to do so. (I know, oh the horrors! I should get them an XBOX or Playstation and sit them in front of the TV instead.)

Point 2 – I disagree.

Point 3 – We’re not in Oklahoma. We’re in Georgia. My dad’s side of the family has had farms in the Atlanta area for many years. I’ve talked with a number of people who used to have to do farm chores before going to school, and then having to do more farm chores when they got home from school in the afternoon. From plowing to planting to taking care of the chickens to milking the cow(s). And I’m fully aware of what poverty in Appalachia looks like. Poverty doesn’t necessarily mean hunger. I’ve met and talked to plenty of mountain folk – from Georgia, TN, NC, WV, etc. You joke about not knowing much about OTP Atlanta. How much time have you actually spent up in the hills? Here’s a good example I found on YouTube real quick:

Another example that comes to mind is Popcorn Sutton. (I won’t post the link as 2 links I think sends the comment to moderation, but I’m sure you can find him pretty easily.)

• Since you brought up Appalachia, here’s a great video that’s fairly reflective of a number of conversations I’ve had with “hillbillies” / mountain folk / whatever you want to call them:

Note around the 17:30 mark where she says “I never sat down at that table when it wasn’t full of food.” They made their own clothes, grew their own food, brought water in from the spring (no indoor plumbing?!?!), chopped wood to cook with, etc. They may not have had much, but they knew how to can and put up food for the winter.

For a good read, you may want to check out the book “Country Wisdom & Know-How – Everything you need to know to live off the land”. I’ve got a copy at home that I can bring to a Peach Pundit gathering sometime if you’re interested in looking at it. Amazon’s got it for $15 and is a great reference book for just about anything related to homesteading for anyone that’s interested. 🙂

• Scott65 says:

If I didn’t know better, I would think your comments about hungry children were somehow meant to make fun of the many reasons republicans are losing ground in this country…but somehow, I’m thinking you are quite serious…let me break something down for you so you understand.

LOTS and LOTS more poor people than rich people.
            Poor people will actually start voting and attitudes like the one you have is about as good a push in that direction that there is…unless you try to suppress the vote, but
            if voter suppression tactics have proven anything, it’s that they motivate people to vote (example …people in line 8 hours in FL last go around…think they are voting Republican?). So that wont work either.
            Point is, if you make a population desperate enough they will act and have no fear doing so because they will have nothing to lose. There are lots of people just about there

• Ellynn says:

Tool – I mean Tebow, was in Savannah yesterday morning playing ‘catch’ with reporters while working out at the sport center he co-owns with Herchel Walker.

Tebow can’t play West Coast offense, (mainly because most of the SEC doesn’t use it but that’s another issue). He is a over hyped player who was lucky enough to have really good WRs while in college to catch stuff for him. Guys like Brady, Rodgers, even Ryan, can have better seasons then Tebow even with a bad WR field.

As to no one being better then Brady…yeah NO.

• sockpuppet says:

You understand wrong. Jacksonville’s owner talked about wanting Tim Tebow, but the coach and GM wanted no part of it. Remember: Jacksonville had just traded up to the 8th pick in the draft to take Blaine Gabbert. Bringing Tebow in would have meant absolutely no chance of Gabbert panning out and it would have been a wasted pick. That #8 pick plus the picks that they gave up to trade to get him … gone. And Gabbert would have never had a chance. Tebow fans don’t care about that sort of thing, but the Jacksonville front office certainly does. And they would have been giving up on their QB after 1 season for what? Not for a proven, Pro Bowl NFL QB but for a guy who may never be a long term solution at QB, and who would make it that much harder to replace Gabbert with another QB should Gabbert ultimately not pan out.

Tebow would have loved to go to Jacksonville. But the Jaguars didn’t want him. As far as Tebow running the wildcat in New England, that isn’t going to happen. You don’t take the ball out of the hands of a Hall of Fame QB. It makes no sense. It makes sense if your QB is average or worse, as have been the QBs on teams that have used the wildcat. But Tom Brady’s ability to throw a TD pass out of the regular offense in the red zone will always exceed what any wildcat QB can do.

Unless they use Tebow as a short yardage fullback, his role in New England will be to sit on the bench. They can’t even use him at TE, because they have 2 of the best TEs in the game in Gronkowski and Hernandez plus drafted another guy, and it would be crazy to play Tebow ahead of those guys just to give him touches.

Tebow will get to sit behind a Hall of Famer and watch film and work on his mechanics with one of the better offensive coordinators/QB coaches in the game. Which is what he should have done his first 3 seasons in the NFL to begin with.

• Joshua Morris says:

It would be better if parents fed their kids during the summer… and during the school year, too. There are plenty of food stamps to go around.

• sockpuppet says:

Food stamps are OK. Jobs are much much better. Two parent families to exponentially increase the chances that one parent has a job to feed the kids are even better still.

4. From the Vogtle article….

“The reason that utilities choose nuclear plants, he argued, is that they can collect profits on their investments. In Georgia they can do so even before the plant is finished.”

Anyone here want to build a product that you’re guaranteed to make a profit on and can start collecting profits before you’ve even finished building the product? See your friendly legislature. Campaign donations and gifts helpful.

• Scott65 says:

Perhaps this is the line of work poor children should undertake…at least they wouldn’t be hungry.

5. WesleyC says:

Your math is off on the Creative Loafing article that can “be immediately discredited.” There are nearly 10 million people in Georgia and somewhere around 45 percent of voters want a progressive. Me thinks that equals “millions.”

• MITT ROMNEY (R) – 2,078,688
      BARACK OBAMA (I)D – 1,773,827
      GARY JOHNSON (L) – 45,324

I suppose if you round 1.773M up to 2, you could say “millions”. Remember, just because Georgia may have a population hovering around the 10M mark doesn’t mean they’re all registered to vote. (My 2 year old hasn’t registered yet.)

• I’m just going by the numbers. Those “conservative Democrats” were willing to vote for Obama. I don’t think too many people would use the term “conservative” to describe Obama…

• sockpuppet says:

No they weren’t. Look, Obama is the left wing of the Democratic Party on social issues, and no more than center-left on economic issues. Put a Democrat who doesn’t cheerlead for gay marriage and Planned Parenthood on the ticket and Obama adds at least 150,000 Democratic votes. Possibly more.

Your problem was that Mitt Romney underperformed in Georgia – and everywhere else – because white voters stayed home.

• Mitt Romney’s vote here is irrelevant to the “millions of people who want a progressive”. I was only posting the other candidates’ numbers for reference. I’m just saying that a bit more than 1.7M people were willing to pull the lever for a progressive in Georgia. I suppose you could argue that many of them didn’t like Obama but held their nose and voted for him anyways. I don’t know how true that would be one way or the other. The point was that a progressive can garner that level of support statewide in Georgia as of last year.

• Scott65 says:

Ed…you knew it couldn’t last… if one could be correct in negative numbers, sockpuppet just achieved it with this post. BO is about as center right as it gets.

Obamacare…from Heritage Foundation (it was their idea, you know, the one now run by Jum DeMint…a paragon of the center left for sure)
              Tax cuts in the Stimulus (tax cuts fix everything is a Republican idea last I looked…and were the lowest return on investment per capita in the stimulus).

In fact, I am trying to think of one center left or left priority that he has taken up…I cant, but if you can please share

• +1

I love the way the Spurs play – so unselfish which is rare these days in the NBA. I’m getting excited that we’ve hired their assistant coach. Hopefully he can bring that same style of play to the Hawks. Of course, if he can get Josh Smith to stop shooting 3ths and actually play basketball. I say we give him the Nobel Prize.

• Lea Thrace says:

Bwahahahahahaha! You are hilarious Buzz.

(And this comes from a Josh Smith “fan”)

• Ed says:

1) The Spurs were way over cap, there’s no way they could have signed him.
      2) That would have been, at best, an absolutely terrible fit.
      3) He’s not even 30, he’s got time. He’s going to have multiple chips.

• sockpuppet says:

Ed, LeBron was already rich. He could have prioritized winning rings over getting a $100 million contract. LeBron could have played for the minimum salary and still made tens of millions a year on endorsements. And a horrible fit? How? LeBron is good enough to start at SF and PF and can back up all 5 positions. At the very worst, he could have possibly been the best 6th man in NBA history.

“3) He’s not even 30, he’s got time. He’s going to have multiple chips.”

He has time, but that Miami roster doesn’t. It only has 2 more years max before Dwayne Wade’s wearing down from the toll of injury and off-the-court drama makes him nothing more than a marginal player. And when that happens, James won’t be able to find another franchise willing to build a team around him because he will be too old.

James might win a couple more titles, but he won’t rack up anywhere near as Jordan, Shaq and Kobe did and Duncan still might. Not that all of it would be his fault, but still.

• Ed says:

Any argument that says the greatest player of this generation could be a backup has no credibility.

• Lea Thrace says:

Gonna have to agree with Ed here. You really expected James to take a backseat to anyone?

I mean he’s no Kobe on the ego level, but he’s kinda up there. His hype, while justified, started getting to his head before he even left Cleveland.

6. Three Jack says:

Just tragic – http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/good-samaritan-left-paralyzed-after-trying-save-4-/nYJBL/

The word hero has been thrown around over the past week while everybody is deciding how to describe Edward Snowden. I think the term is applied too loosely in most cases, but not in the case of Mike Patterson who is now paralyzed from the neck down after saving a 4 yr old girl from being washed down a fast moving stream near Rome. This was a selfless act carried out by a father who does not have health insurance and now faces a lifetime in a wheelchair. Amazingly Patterson was involved in a life saving event just a week earlier where he and another guy rescued a driver from a burning tanker truck.

Links for donations and support are included in the AJC story above.

7. MattMD says:

What is the point of linking articles behind a paywall.

Also the Heat can go to hell. I wouldn’t be that upset if those Al-Qaeda boys flew a jet into their team hotel.