Morning Reads–Crazy Good

I’m back, and a quick thank you to the many thousands of you who reached out to me with requests for a speedy return. The outpouring of support was just incredible, and you are now able to proceed with your lives.

Don’t want all my MRs to keep being the best ever, eventually you will become numb to their greatness. Ergo I am doing you a favor with these just being crazy good.

On Sunday I saw “Fast & Furious 6”, the latest installment of the greatest film franchise ever. Atlanta’s own Chris “Ludacris” Bridges delivered nothing short of an Oscar-worthy performance. And June 14 can not get here soon enough omg omg omg.

“Angel Eyes” by Old Blue Eyes.

• saltycracker says:

Probably because the church wants it’s money back ASAP and cut a deal. If not paid back as agreed it is jail, but not as long as it should be.

1. gcp says:

“Longtime Atlanta Chamber of Commerce Prez resigning.” AJC reports this guy made $778,000 in 2011 but the Chamber is treated as a “nonprofit business interest group.” Another example of our screwed up tax system.

• Ed says:

wat? The Chamber doesn’t generate money for shareholders, it sells no goods, what else ought it be classified as? His salary is irrelevant.

• gcp says:

In order to pay a salaries or “expenses” an entity must generate income. Dump the idea of the “ nonprofit” and give us a fair or flat tax where we don’t have to determine if an entity is “nonprofit” or “for profit”. The silly tax dodge has gone on long enough.

• Ed says:

You should probably learn about the different ways organizations can raise funds and operate before you advocate broad, sweeping tax reform for said entities.

Just throwing that out there.

• gcp says:

Ed, Kroger raises funds by selling food. The chamber raises funds though “fees.” They are both nongovernmental entities that obtain money and they both pay salaries thus they should be treated equally in the tax code.

• Dave Bearse says:

Salary is relevant when it’s grossly excessive (and I’m not weighing in on whether William’s salary was grossly excessive or not). An excessive salary is a gift, and a gift in excess of a certain amount is subject to taxation that generally supposed to be paid by the donor. To pile on, the donors in this case would have not paid income taxes on the gifts if the expense was exempted from net income as a business expense.

• Ed says:

An individual’s compensation is relevant only to the employee and the organization’s stakeholders.

• Ellynn says:

Does that mean I have a say in the CEO pay of GE or other $0.00 tax paying companies since by your logic I’m subsidizing their salaries too since they avoid taxes through the tax code just like nonprofits do?

• Ed says:

First off, you’re very narrowly defining “pay no taxes.”

Second, its a very loose interpretation of “subsidize.”

Third, their money is collected from voluntary dues.

Fourth, as Ellynn points out, there are companies you want to save your ire for.

Fifth, I hate to break it to you but the salary is solely up to the voting members of the chamber (or its dues-paying members, not sure of its governance.)

• gcp says:

Ellynn has the right to vote for politicians that will change our current tax system that allows such distortions.
                “narrowly defining pay no taxes” How else would you define it when an entity pays no taxes?
                “loose interpretation of subsidize” Partially correct based on Oxford definition of subsidy
                “voluntary dues” When I buy my Kroger cereal I do so voluntarily also
                “save my ire” Partially correct because are some entities deserve more ire than others but in the end they all should be treated equally
                “salary is up to the voting members” Correct but once again I just don’t want subsidize(broad interpretation) them

• I’m pretty sure the Atlanta Chamber (and most Chambers of Commerce) are funded by member donations -which are not exempt from taxes, but can be classified as a business expense -and MAY be deductible (don’t know if that means all or partially deductible). Also, the salaries paid to Chamber staff -from intern to president- are subject to income taxes.

• gcp says:

Agree. My complaint is with the Chamber’s income and the fact that it is not taxed. You can call them donations, dues, fees or whatever but it all goes to the Chamber.

• Lea Thrace says:

This here is a slippery slope because that same argument is used against tax exempt religious institutions.