I’m filling in for Ed today since he’s
representing the US Communist Party in the Motherland on a trip to Russia (so he says, at least…my bet is he’s lounging near a pool sipping his mimosas or some such). He normally boasts how awesome his morning reads are. I may not be able to compete with Ed’s “awesomeness” (he is a legend in his own mind), but there is something to be said about appreciating the rare things in life, so feel free to appreciate this morning’s Morning Reads done by me.
Around the Block:
- Protesters protested outside of a technical conference on unmanned aerial vehicles (drones) that was being held in Atlanta.
- Hitachi Automotive Systems will be expanding in Walton County and will create 250 additional jobs.
- Just to pique Mike’s interest, here’s another story about the Pink Pony v. the City of Brookhaven.
- This gives new meaning to the phrase “look before you leap”.
Around the Nation:
- Stephen Colbert is still pouting like a 5 year-old after his sister lost to former Governor Mark Sanford in the SC-1 special election. He’s threatening to cut his ties to South Carolina. Yeah, I’m sure they’ll be absolutely crushed by that…
- Who’s gonna fill Helicopter Ben’s shoes at the Federal Reserve? It could be this guy.
- Up in the land of Snooki and other weirdos, Republican Chris Christie and Democrat Barack Obama were reunited. President Obama was touring the Jersey Shore to view the post- Hurricane Sandy progress. I’m sure you can hear the faint shouts of “RINO!”.
- The ChiCom hackers steal top secret advanced weapon designs from the United States.
Around the World:
- Speaking of Russia, they’re sending missiles to Syria to deter any sort of “intervention.” No word on if Ed is brokering the deal or not, but I’ll let you draw your own conclusions.
- I’ll take my $100 Canadian with a side of syrup.
- The cruise line industry gets another bruise: Royal Caribbean’s “Grandeur of the Seas” caught fire on its way to the Bahamas (side note: I was on that ship about 3 years ago…it’s a very nice ship and hate to hear this).
- There’s a volcano in Chile and Argentina that could go at any time.
Stuff I Like:
- Here’s a great article on how being good neighbors could have a positive impact on your community. (Duh.)
- Chattanooga (including parts of the Occupied Territory) could be classified as possibly the best city in America.
- The Braves lost their last game with the Mets on Sunday and in their first game against the Blue Jays on Monday, but they broke their short losing streak yesterday in extra innings.
- Calling all radio amateurs (and other interested parties): Field Day 2013 is less than a month away.