Morning Reads–G.O.A.T.

These Morning Reads are like LeBron James: G.O.A.T.

1. George Chidi says:

Gnimbin’s story is a bit familiar to me. My birth name is George Chidi Njoku, with a traditional name Amaefule used as a middle name but not on my birth certificate. A few years after my father — also George Chidi Njoku — first arrived in the United States after escaping recruitment into the ranks of child soldiers in the Biafran civil war, he discovered that no one here could pronounce or spell Njoku consistently, so he switched it for his middle name, Chidi. He changed his name legally … but not mine. I’ve been George Chidi since I was four years old to everyone except the courthouse.

So my birth certificate says Njoku and so does my social security card and passport, but a whole bunch of other stuff — high school and college diplomas, military enlistment records, 20 years of news stories — says Chidi. None of this really mattered until 9/11, when drivers’ license nonsense started making it weird. I nearly missed my GMAT test because I needed to find some old ID with Chidi on it, since my license said Njoku but my application said Chidi. International travel became a headache, since my credit cards and passport don’t match. I legally changed my name to Chidi a month before I got married, just to make the lives of my hypothetical children somewhat less insane.

2. sockpuppet says:

“Streetcar budget rises to $59 million.”
    A single F-22 made by Cobb County’s own Lockheed, cost $137 million. And that is just the base cost. The unit cost is $377 million and the lifecycle cost is $678 million. Oh yeah, the F-22 became obsolete almost immediately. The superior F-35 has a direct cost of $110 million, unit cost $157 million and lifecycle cost of $469 million. The difference between the F-22 and F-35 lifecycle costs for a single plane would pay for half the cost of the Ga 400/I-285 interchange. So I guess some boondoggles are more equal than others. For more information on the F-22 fiasco, see here: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/12/f-22-real-cost/. I would love for the fiscal conservatives – especially those in Cobb County – to weigh in on that questionable use of limited government resources.

Also, this is not part of the core budget anyway. “The additional amount will cover improvements to the project’s scope and design – including new streetscapes and bicycle lanes – plus a 7 percent contingency fund.” Also, the project costs $59 million, but $47.6 million of that came in a federal grant. Also, the $7 million will come from existing contingency funds that MARTA will build up over time, not new revenue sources. So $55 million of the $59 million will not be new, local money. So, how is this a boondoggle again?

As for “it goes nowhere” … nowhere you are likely to go perhaps. But tourists, who just want to be able to see and visit the sites without dealing with our notorious traffic (or having to pay a cab driver for the luxury of sitting in downtown traffic) ought to like it, just like tourists patronize similar things in other cities. It ain’t the San Fran streetcars, granted, but it will get football fans from the SEC championship game (in the new stadium) to the College Football Hall of Fame. And to the 20 story ferris wheel (if it was good enough for Paris it is good enough for Georgia) that will be added in Centennial Park without city funds.

• Comparing the F-22 to the streetcar is not really accurate. First the F-22 goes a LOT faster and carries more JDAMs. Second, they quit funding the F-22 in 2010.

• Ed says:

Holy apples to buildings comparison!
      I know the funding mechanisms, thanks, and that the bulk of it comes from the feds doesn’t lessen the stupidity of the streetcar. Your argument would have a little more weight if the streetcar didn’t run up costs after completion (which it will because everything costs money to operate). And let’s look at that minuscule $2 million. You really think a line that might be useful to tourists but connects to nothing else will be the best way to spend that $2 million?

By “going nowhere” it means it is a 1.3-mile route that takes about 15 minutes to travel and runs every 15 minutes. So if you miss your streetcar then you either wait for a slow-moving vehicle or save time by walking. And the time saved by the streetcar is virtually nil.

• bgsmallz says:

I don’t think the street car is stupid or that ‘no where’ is really accurate. But what I really question is why the dual route down and back on Auburn/Edgewood. During any conference at the GWCC or big event, streets are jammed with folks walking from their hotels on Peachtree Cent, etc. to the GWCC. The hotel district downtown is poorly placed in relation to the tourist and convention destinations…mostly due to the timing of each being built. You don’t reach those hotels on Baker (you know…the really big hotels..facepalm!) with this route. The real opportunity was to build a two-way loop headed east on Edgewood, north on Jackson or Blvd and west on Baker/Highland back to COP. You would connect all the hotels, the high density housing at the west edge of O4W and Inman Park, MLK center, and not to mention a major employer at Atlanta Medical. Oh well….no one asked me, probably for good reason.

• bgsmallz says:

By the way…people showing up late isn’t a big issue. Trains showing up late is a big issue. If there is one thing that kills transit in this town for many its that the trains don’t have a schedule and don’t run on time.

It’s the little things…like after a sporting event…you don’t hold the train until the platform fills up. You run the train on time…so that someone sitting in their seat knows that if I get to the station at 9:40 and catch the train north I’ll be back to North Springs at 10:25.

• Ed says:

There are a whole host of issues with the streetcar that have basically doomed it from the get go.

And I live within walking distance of it!

3. sockpuppet says:

Trying again with this link, which talks about how getting real mass/public transportation to the Atlanta suburbs may actually benefit the pro-business, anti-social welfare mindset in those areas by helping workers in the suburbs get to jobs downtown.

3 points.
    1. On average, a poor person in the suburbs can only reach 18 percent of Atlanta’s jobs.
    2. Two-thirds of jobs in metro Atlanta are located ten miles from Downtown.
    3. Over the past five years, there’s been a 25 percent increase—or 80,000 additional poor suburban students – in suburban school systems.

So transportation today may mean fewer problems – i.e. the sort of issues with crime and failing schools and fleeing businesses that are associated with the urban areas – in the Atlanta suburbs.

4. Ghost of William F Buckley says:

I know we are all supposed to, like, you know, comply with the Borg and not hate on fellow Republicans, and all – But, seriously, not one mention of Ms. Handel’s handling of the Common Core question, as reported by Jim Galloway here?

Last week, I mentioned Ms. Handel is a walking dust-up and sho’ nuff that description seems apt with her Common Core stance. Says, Galloway, “We’ve got the first sign that the Republican race for U.S. Senate might prove to be a little uncomfortable for Gov. Nathan Deal.”

I trust Sen. Millar and our Governor when they say Common Core is not about curriculum.

But others like Debbie Dooley (TP) and Virginia Galloway (Americans for Prosperity), Sen. Ligon (R-Brunswick) disagree. So which is it? Jim Galloway expounds on Common Core:

“The standards, which create basic requirements for math and English language arts, have been embraced by dozens of states, which helped develop them under the leadership of the National Governors Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers. Former Gov. Sonny Perdue was a leader on the committee that created the benchmarks and pushed for Georgia to adopt them in 2010.”

5. Ellynn says:

Dr John and architecture developement links alone can not make this post great.

What is missing? The foodie link. How are we to have food envy (and expand your ego) with out the epicurean highlight of your greatness…?

6. saltycracker says:

Place your NFL jersey orders now !

Chris Fuamatu-Ma’afala