GAGOP Update: It’s Over!!

May 18, 2013 21:22 pm

by Nathan · 21 comments

We’re done. Well, we were done well over and a half ago.

So, the convention came to an abrupt halt after quorum was deemed lost. That was because a few hundred people left after the assistant secretary election.

Here are the new officers for the GAGOP:

Chairman John Padgett
1st Vice Chairman Michael McNeely
2nd Vice Chairman Ron Johnson
Secretary Debbie McCord
Asst. Secretary Kirk Shook
Treasurer Bob Mayzes

The rules report included the addition of an assistant treasurer and was adopted if I’m not mistaken, but we currently have a vacant assistant treasurer slot.

Long story short, a quorum call was made, and the count showed that the quorum had indeed been lost. This right before the convention took up resolutions. The convention adjourned immediately.

It is my understanding that the state executive committee will take up the resolutions and probably the vacant assistant treasurer as unfinished convention business. I’m sure folks more close to the matter can give more input.

However, I stopped for supper and am currently about 90 minutes from home. I’ll give more updates later, or my colleagues who were in attendance can chime in.

Back on the road again.

Chuck Shiflett May 18, 2013 at 11:41 pm

That’s Bob MAYZES ;)

Nathan May 19, 2013 at 11:43 am

I’ve corrected it. I regret the error and blame others.

Mike Hassinger May 19, 2013 at 3:57 pm

+1 for good use of editorial policy.

Lawton Sack May 19, 2013 at 12:03 am

Both the resolutions and the vacant assistant treasurer’s position will be filled by the State Committee. The Assistant Treasurer’s position was previously an appointed position and thus a non-voting member of the Executive Committee. It is now an elected position with voting privileges. The idea is to allow an Assistant Treasurer to be elevated in case the Treasurer cannot perform his duties.

Lawton Sack May 19, 2013 at 12:37 am

filled should be handled in the first sentence.

Kyle Constable May 19, 2013 at 12:51 am

Any idea when that State Committee meeting will be?

Lawton Sack May 19, 2013 at 1:07 am

Not yet. There is going to have to be some time for Padgett to transition into the Chair position and then there is a 12 day minimum before the meeting is held once a call is issued.

Lawton Sack May 19, 2013 at 12:36 am

The adopted Rule changes can be seen at: http://www.gagop.org/download/gagop2013proposedrules.pdf

The changes are listed in blue throughout the document.

Doug Deal May 19, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I supported one of his opponents, but I hope John has a successful tenure as chairman of the GRP.

F. Underwood May 19, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Fun times.

Ed May 20, 2013 at 7:26 am

Nice username.

Robert Adkerson May 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm

There was a good “Deal” of pressure and unorthodox lobbying of the Resolutions Committee NOT to pass a Common Core resolution. I sincerely hope the State Committee takes up and passes the resolutions in a timely manner. Many of them are significant and meaningful.

Doug Grammer May 19, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I’m glad it is over, but I really enjoyed traveling the state seeing old friends and making new ones.

Ken May 19, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Agreed and Doug was one of the people I enjoyed seeing.

Ken May 19, 2013 at 11:59 pm

The nine resolutions which emerged from the resolutions committee will be presented to the GAGOP State Committee. The discussion should be quite lively.

Lawton Sack May 20, 2013 at 2:19 am

A link is below to the resolutions, as they were to be presented to the Convention. Thank you to Resolution Co-Chairs Ken Carroll and Scott Johnson and their entire committee for their hard work, dedication, and time. A member told me that they had invested approximately 8 hours on Friday/Saturday for the Resolutions.

xdog May 20, 2013 at 8:02 am

Personhood!

xdog May 20, 2013 at 8:04 am

No Sharia law in Georgia!

xdog May 20, 2013 at 8:06 am

Down with LEED certification!

Ken May 20, 2013 at 11:30 am

Thank you, Lawton, for the kind words. We had a good time, ceteris paribus, and I hope to work with all of these fine folks again soon.

Let me quell the rumors: there was NO knifing, though someone drew a nail file a little too quickly for comfort and I suppressed my Dodge County roots and only voted once each time – though my friend Scott Johnson did have to restrain me twice.

Ed May 20, 2013 at 7:27 am

So sad I missed this.

Comments on this entry are closed.