Barrow Now Officially OUT of Georgia Senate Race

Statement from John Barrow, D-GA-12:

“I’m grateful for the encouragement I’ve received from folks all across the State of Georgia, but I’ve decided that I will not be a candidate for the Senate in 2014.  I enjoy my work on behalf of the folks in the 12th District, and I look forward to continuing to serve them in the House of Representatives.”

As for the Dog that didn’t bark, Barrow is now running for re-election in GA-12, a race drawn for a considerable Republican advantage yet one he won handily in 2012.  Expect the quality of Republican recruiting to suffer just a bit as this news is digested.

Most discussion about the potential Democratic Senate Candidate has been on names like Michelle Nunn, Scott Holcomb, former Senator Max Cleland, or Jim Martin.  Feel free to speculate on the chances these or others get in this race in the comments below.

And while you’re at it, who lines up from the Republican side for GA-12 now that Barrow is running for re-election?

1. I just received this via email from Brad Dayspring of the NRSC:

“Barrow’s decision is the biggest recruiting failure of the 2014 cycle and ensures that Republicans are on offense across the map. Democrats in Washington threw everything at Barrow, who realized the seat is unwinnable and left Democratic National Senatorial Committee standing at the altar. Republicans have a strong field of energetic candidates that represent Georgia values and will win in 2014.”

2. Lawton Sack says:

I received the following email from Katie Prill, NRCC Spokeswoman:

“It’s no wonder John Barrow’s ill-fated Senate dream was short lived. His relentless support of President Obama’s failed policies went over like a lead balloon with Georgia families. We look forward to continuing to hold Barrow accountable for his tax increasing, job-destroying ways with hopes of helping him retire from his long political career once and for all in 2014.”

• Lawton Sack says:

Probably around June, 2014. I have only been doing 1 or 2 a week recently. I try to stick towards factual stuff, such as high unemployment in GA-12. I usually use the #ga12 tag, though I sometimes use the #gagop tag and occasionally the #gapol tag.

3. Three Jack says:

Great opportunity for a Libertarian candidate to jump in since there will be no serious dem opposition.

4. Ken says:

I think Rep. Barrow realized that his cape got lost at the cleaners. I still believe a strong GOP candidate takes him out in ’14 – as long as GOP resources are not spread too thin.

5. John Konop says:

The Dems had no shot at this seat in 14. Yet if they get the right candidate when the Hillary machine runs, combined with changing demographics it could be a real horse race. I would bet that was part of the calculation by Barrow…….the Hillary machine could even give the Dems both houses…..,women will be fired up to see the first female president……Barrow I bet will go for it next cycle……

6. cheapseats says:

This Senate seat is going to the Republican candidate – no matter who the Dems find to run. Barrow knows that.

All the hand-wringing and lamentations about the Dems not being able to field a quality candidate in a hopeless race is silly. Quality candidates don’t enter hopeless races. Any Dem who gets in this race is either clueless, a martyr, or simply has nothing better to do with their time.

7. davidfarrar says:

Real Tea Party candidates for outgoing Sen. Chambliss’ US Senate seat must not accept any outside PAC funding during their upcoming primary. The primary decision on who represents the People of Georgia must not be bought off in Washington by special interest insiders long before the first Georgian walks into a voting booth.

The Tea Party Exploratory Committee of Georgia urges all Congressional Tea Party candidates not to ask for, or accept, any outside the state funding during their primary campaigns.

ex animo