Childhood Indiscretions Revealed

Or what the Purity Test means to the 11th District Congressional Race.

Below is a photo from the yearbook of Davidson College, an effete safety school in North Carolina.

Ed Lindsey - YD Group Photo 1979-80

You may recognize Ed Lindsey in the above picture. He apparently was the President of the College Democrats in 1979-80, during the President Carter reëlect. In Lindsey’s campaign announcement, he said Bob Barr had “some explaining to do,” referencing both Barr’s past as a Libertarian and the I Love Lucy Show, which debuted in 1951. It’s tough to make 1950’s references and later argue that stuff from the 80’s shouldn’t count, but I suppose that’s what he will have to do.

To me, supporting Carter in 1980 over Reagan was clearly the correct decision, but I don’t imagine many primary voters in the In-Fighting 11th will see it that way, and that’s a shame.

Changing one’s mind shouldn’t be a political dealbreaker, but it often is. Benjamin Franklin said that “When you’re finished changing, you’re finished.” In modern primary politics, it has become “If you ever change, you’re finished.”

Updated: Representative Lindsey sends along the following response:

To borrow from  1 Corinthians 13:11:  “When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child . . . ,” but when Jimmy Carter crashed helicopters in the desert in Iran, I put aside my childish things and voted for President Ronald Reagan and have voted for every Republican presidential candidate ever since.

In more recent and relevant times, I have served on the Georgia Republican State Committee, acted as Sonny Perdue’s Fulton County Campaign Manager in 2002, been elected to the State House as a Republican in 2004, worked with State House colleagues and the GOP State Party to increase our Georgia majorities in 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012. I have shepherded through the State House as a Representative and Republican Majority Whip over 35 major pieces of conservative reform legislation that have cut state spending, provided tax relief to property owners, cut taxes, expanded school choice, opened up government, cracked down on illegal immigration, strengthened Georgia’s Right to Work laws, and attacked those that would prey upon our young, old, and disadvantaged.  In short, I have been a conservative reformer that rolls up his sleeve and finds real conservative solutions to the real problems facing our state and will do the same in Washington.

In conclusion,   I appreciate someone finding a picture of me with hair so I can show my sons I once had it.  I also note that in reviewing the picture about half the folks shown are also now Republicans. With age comes wisdom.

1. drjay says:

our governor was a democrat in congress in the 90’s. the south has had so many party switchers over the years that i’m not sure it’s that much of a deal breaker…haha get it, deal breaker, after i just mentioned our guv in the comment…

2. Ghost of William F Buckley says:

Stefan I am disappointed at your puerile attempt to frame the 11th District race by impugning Rep. Lindsay’s Conservative credentials with this ‘article.’ Your right to oppose Rep. Lindsey is involute, just do it with a bit more intellect and class.

That type of politickin’ is unproductive for the GOP, in general, and in Georgia specifically.

As you should know, the Dems are seeking to avoid an intra-Party fight by floating only one candidate in this race. While it is hugely unlikely there will be a Dem that could carry the 11th, you see my point.

Otherwise, fine job at PP and keep up the enthusiastic work!

• Stefan says:

I don’t oppose his candidacy. I thought I was pretty clear above that not only would I have supported Carter, though I was 4 or so at the time, I think a politician, our any human, should have the right to change his or her mind. I’m not sure where you get that I’m anti,Lindsey from the above.

3. Christopher says:

While I think you’re nuts that anyone should have chosen Carter over Reagan, it should be noted that Reagan used to be a Democrat.

There’s nothing wrong with changing your mind on the surface and we’re talking 30 years ago as well. Barr however has shown himself to be a political opportunist much more recently.

“Clinton lied under oath? Then I’ll represent the GOP!”

“I lost? Screw you! Now I’m a Libertarian!”

“My old seat is open? I’m a Republican!”

And if he should win his seat back and at some point the GOP loses the House again, guess who will suddenly become a Democrat?

4. Edward Lindsey says:

All:

Gotta be a slow news day.

To borrow from 1 Corinthians 13:11: “When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child . . . ,” but when Jimmy Carter crashed helicopters in the desert in Iran in the late Spring of 1980, I put aside my childish things and voted for President Ronald Reagan that Fall and have voted for every Republican presidential candidate ever sense.

In more recent and relevant times, I have served on the Georgia Republican State Committee, acted as Sonny Perdue’s Fulton County Campaign Manager in 2002, been elected to the State House as a Republican in 2004, became the Majority House Whip in 2009, worked with State House colleagues and the GOP State Party to increase our Georgia majorities in 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012. I have shepherded through the State House as a Representative and Republican Majority Whip over 35 major pieces of conservative reform legislation that have cut state spending, provided tax relief to property owners, cut taxes, expanded school choice, opened up government, cracked down on illegal immigration, strengthened Georgia’s Right to Work laws, and attacked those that would prey upon our young, old, and disadvantaged. In short, I have been a conservative reformer that rolls up his sleeve and finds real conservative solutions to the real problems facing our state and will do the same in Washington.

In conclusion, I appreciate someone finding a picture of me with hair so I can show my sons I once had it. I often compliment College Republicans when I talk to them by telling them they are smarter than I was when I was in college. For me, it took some age to develop wisdom.

• rrrrr says:

So THAT was the reason Sonny wanted experience flying choppers as Governor – “just in case” he gets the BIG chair one day…

• David C says:

I really enjoyed the part in Argo where Jimmy Carter, cleverly disguised with a beard and six pack abs, personally flew to Tehran to get those 5 embassy workers safely on that airplane.

5. NorthGAGOP says:

We are almost a year away from qualifying, and people are already pulling out old college photos. It’s going to be a long campaign season.

6. ghall says:

I didn’t think that they would have let President Carter fly helicopters. I figured those would have been highly trained pilots.

7. northside101 says:

And our current governor was a Democrat during his 12 years in the State Senate and for the first 2 years of his 17 years in Congress. (Imagine that!).

8. It’s funny to see some people on Twitter who think this is a big deal.

I’ve served with Rep. Lindsey now for three years and I can tell you, because I’ve seen it first hand, he’s conservative. I don’t live in the 11th and he hasn’t asked for my support yet, but he’s got it.

• UpHere says:

It is the same people that are up in arms over Common Core Standards – they have to have something to be indignant about.

9. rrrrr says:

Did a good job too, once you got past The Jimmy Carter second term thing…
    (TUMS helped btw)

But just consider where we would have been if Jimmy had Ben “The Printing Press” Bernanke back then, he’d have been a 2 termer and we’d all be wearing cardigan sweaters.