Morning Reads 4/17/2013

April 17, 2013 6:10 am

by Ron Daniels · 21 comments

Happy Wednesday!

The story that just won’t die; in other news apparently writers for Forbes need not check facts. Silly little things. Why let facts get in the way when you can write a sensational story. Pardon me while I find an Obama quote and take it completely out of context.

Cash is King in Senate races and it looks like we are heading to a primary bloodbath.

College tuition is set to increase next year.

Central Georgia runners react to the Boston bombing.

152 kids died last year after DFCS had contact with them and their families. What a jarring statistic. That number is rather high.

Immigration reform may have impact on Georgia. Well, duh. I wonder what folks down in Uvalda will think?

Lights. Camera. Action. We’re getting more film studios.

While we prepare for a war to our northern border of Tennessee, giant slugs have planned an invasion of South Georgia. I personally volunteer to go fight on the Sought Georgia front. Someone order me a cord of wood and a flat bed truck full of Morton Salt. Cue the Stripes march.

Dawg Bite. Enough said. Maybe this and a new recruiter will help Tech’s chances of getting quality athletes. Or maybe Jim Donnan will hire me to defend him.

Did I miss some stories? Post them in the comments. Here’s some music. It’s appropriate.

Baker April 17, 2013 at 8:30 am

One non-Ga one worth noting: Endorsed by the esteemed founder of Peach Pundit, Erick Erickson, the previously disgraced governor of South Carolina Mark Sanford is disgraced again after apparently trespassing at his ex-wife’s home. Bizarre.

Will it matter? Colbert-Busch is going to raise some serious money.

David C April 17, 2013 at 9:18 am

Eh. If I were South Carolina Republicans I’d vote for her just to get rid of him. Let someone else responsible take the seat in a year and a half in a full turnout election. It’s not like it’s going to change control of the house. Same approach plenty of D voters in New Orleans took with Bill “Bribes in the Freezer” Jefferson a few years ago.

Ellynn April 17, 2013 at 10:08 am

A PAC posted her first attack ad on the Savannah stations yesterday on Sanford’s use of the state jet. (Savannah covers the Beaufort and Hilton Head section of the 1st district, Joe ‘You Lie’ Wilson has the riverfront.) This is the third Colbert-Busch ad in the area in two weeks. Not a Sandford ad in sight.

Ellynn April 17, 2013 at 2:13 pm

NRCC pulled their backing this afternoon of Sanford. He is on his own now.

saltycracker April 17, 2013 at 8:41 am

Child deaths – DFCS is overwhelmed and constrained in working with incorrigible parents and has limited options- maybe this is another case for orphanages in lieu of the premise to keep doing all we can to leave the child with sperm/egg donors.

saltycracker April 17, 2013 at 8:52 am

The film studios story is the good news leaving out the public costs to attract them and if any particular companies were singled out.

drjay April 17, 2013 at 9:02 am

i’ve mentioned on another thread, i’m still wait and see on the studio in effingham county–it’ll be great if it happens, but i think there are still a lot of unanswered questions about the guy behind it…

Ron Daniels April 17, 2013 at 9:59 am

I wanted to take a moment here to explain the appropriateness of “Moving Out.”

This shall likely be the last post you read from me on the frontpage of Peach Pundit. I’ve greatly enjoyed the discussions we’ve started, the arguments we’ve had, and my attempts to make South Georgia and Georgia history relevant to all of you. Of all the things I’ve done, Morning Reads has been the most entertaining.

There comes a time when one takes on too many responsibilities in life and something must fall by the wayside. And I’m not one to do something “halfway.” Consider this my goodbye and expect to see me commenting again, rather than posting articles here, soon.

Lea Thrace April 17, 2013 at 10:17 am

But but but….

Dont leave us!!!!!

You will be missed as a front pager Mr. Daniels! Welcome back to the land of reasoned commenters and trolls. :-D

xdog April 17, 2013 at 11:15 am

But Ron, you post the best music clips. (But not today. Sorry.)

I’ll miss your South Georgia perspective and I hope someone can extend your work to the sub-Macon outposts of Bainbridge, Thomasville, Valdosta, Waycross, Folkston . Thanks.

Ellynn April 17, 2013 at 10:21 am

Theories abound on Savannah’s garage door malfunctions.

Ed April 17, 2013 at 11:01 am

This has been weighing on my mind heavily. Thank you, Ellynn.

Ellynn April 17, 2013 at 11:26 am

It’s a good lightweight read… I’m going with ‘the army did it’ theory.

Lea Thrace April 17, 2013 at 11:30 am

Considering the neighborhoods affected, I’d bet some college student is screwing around with frequencies…

*disclaimer* my conjecture is based on no facts whatsoever and the army theory is probably the correct answer

drjay April 18, 2013 at 8:55 am

turns out it really is the army–they have a new “repeater” that broadcasts on same frequency as garage door openers and basically obliterates their signal…story in morning news today…

Lea Thrace April 18, 2013 at 10:25 am

Interesting story. I’m sorry the answer wasnt some alien artifact though.

For anyone who is interested in the update to this story, see below.

Ed April 17, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Arrest made of suspect in Boston Bombing.

Lea Thrace April 17, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Denied by the Feds. Who led you astray? CNN, AJC, FOX. Those darn pranksters!

Harry April 17, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I wasn’t aware that Fox was culpable in this. On the other hand you forgot to mention AP…

Ellynn April 17, 2013 at 3:49 pm

If FBI or Justice is involved, Pete Williams with NBC news as by far the best contacts with both.

The Last Democrat in Georgia April 17, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Thanks for the news, Mr. Daniels.

Comments on this entry are closed.